Racism in Football

Zatman

So millwall have covered themselves in glory. i wish i was surprised with the number of people defending this on social media etc. worryingly i think that this lot have set a trend. they did it, so others will follow suit. i was dearly hoping to be lucky in the ballots, when the time comes, but now i'm dreading it...no doubt that someone will boo at VP when the time comes.

Some Millwall fans booed players taking a knee at the start of the Championship match against Derby County on Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55111474

• Like 1

So rather than dealing with the fans, the players will now not be taking a knee. 

Here

added: “The players have released a statement together and said they don’t support it [taking the knee] as a political message but support anti-discrimination.

“Moving forward, like a lot of clubs, they would prefer not to take the knee and actually enact change.

“They want to be proactive rather than it being a gesture, which a lot of clubs are now saying is perhaps empty.

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

So rather than dealing with the fans, the players will now not be taking a knee. 

Here

tough one. looking on social media, it's even more toxic than normal, with so, so many messages of support to millwall fans for doing it. if they continued to knee, the boos will just get louder and potentially at some stage become violent between 'clappers' and 'booers'. i know i'd have to say something if someone near me booed.

i guess they don't want headlines after every single game now for the wrong reasons. as much as they'd love to ban the fans in question, they've not technically broken the conditions of entry to the stadium so probably not grounds to ban them

23 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

up to the clubs. QPR have already stopped i know and one or 2 others too i think

Basically keep doing it until it became a problem. I think for a dozen or so games and then replaced by other work in the community or social media would have been a well thought out approach. 
Now it’ll end up collapsing around the country and the groans and boos increase.

I don’t feel entirely comfortable with this political type gestures “during” the game even thought it’s a very worthwhile cause.

Edited by Genie

The FA was wrong to water down their message about Black Lives Matter and to replace it with the 'no room for racism'. There was real symbolic power by replacing names on shirts, and even, racists still put out their 'White Lives Matter' crap - which is a racist political statement in that context.

The FA needs to address racism across all levels of the game. Calling for tolerance isn't enough, the FA should be very clear that players should feel protected and safe to make these statements. Crowds should be told to be respectful. Again, it's not perfect.

Capitulating on this debate will only encourage more racist fans to do the same.

13 hours ago, av1 said:

Here

Not wrong though, i think it’s become an empty gesture, just something that’s done for the sake of it now.

Great and powerful thing 6 months ago but unnecessary and ineffective now if you ask me.

I think it should stop, but then, I wouldn’t boo it if I was present either.

• Like 1

It's an inevitable process where an activist movement (black lives matter) become watered down and institutionalised by an intermediate body (the FA and 'no room for racism'), removing any radical demands or potential, before the operators within those intermediate bodies (in this case, Millwall), begin the process of bargaining away the need to do anything at all. 

BLM did not have particularly coherent demands of the football industry, so the energy has sapped. The only potential tangible mark of the protests in the end will be (hopefully) a somewhat enhanced awareness amongst the important people in the football industry that racism exists and is important. 

• Like 1

I think Millwall themselves should not be tarred by this, apparently they do lots of great work in the community trying to educate about racism and other subjects. Just a pity they will always be supported by vermin because of the past

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Well done Millwall fans. BLM is an ararchist political movement intent on erasing our history and destroying the fabric of our democratic society.

I mean that’s certainly one take on this. Well done to the Millwall fans who have a history of racist chanting at their ground for booing while players take a stand against racism?

I’m not sure those people booing were protesting at the destruction of the fabric of our democratic society. I doubt most of them would even know the meaning of about four words in that sentence.

Once again everybody, well done Millwall fans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Well done Millwall fans. BLM is an ararchist political movement intent on erasing our history and destroying the fabric of our democratic society.

Thats what some see it as, some other feel that black lives matter and at a time when britain is going through a really racist period it would be great if we looked and thought although all lives definitely matter, currently black lives are being shit on and need allies. Be that a black 20 something footballer or a 50 year old white bloke. 
What people need to separate is the message being spread on social media on what the organisation Black Lives Matter stand for versus the message away from that, that black lives matter. 

• Like 2

Â