Racism in Football

Zatman

Tuanzebe, James and now Rashford abused racially on social media this week.

Regardless of people's opinions on the politics of it, it shows taking the knee is right as the fight isn't anywhere near finished.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 16:31, Keyblade said:

West Brom had to put out a statement due to the racial abuse of Romaine Sawyers by his own fans. Same thing happened to our Axel after United lost to Sheffield United. We've had problems with racism too but I can't remember us racially abusing one of our own after a loss. We just give them old fashioned abuse :lol:

We are equal opportunity abusers

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Regardless of people's opinions on the politics of it, it shows taking the knee is right as the fight isn't anywhere near finished.

Seen talk (and by that I mean utter nonsense) that the Tuanzebe and Rashford ones were actually Liverpool fans pretending to be Utd fans to make the club look bad. You might get the 'odd' one or two but not the levels they seem to have received. How is that more believable to some people than the possibility that fans could be such morons they'd abuse their own players and would stoop to using racism. 

here's what i don't get. i love a good flutter me, horses mainly. when i set up a gambling account, before i can do anything, i have to send them a photo of my passport or driving license to prove my age otherwise i cannot place a bet. why can facebook/twitter, who are far, far bigger than the gambling companies, not implement a similar system?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Last night Bayern Munich coloured the Allianz arena in a rainbow and tweeted #nieweider (never again) for holocaust remebrance

They had to turn their replies off... 

Hasn't stopped a torrent of abuse on retweets 

What is it they didn't like ? I don't understand the problem with the gesture ?

23 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It won't end until these people can't hide behind the mask of anonymity that social media provides. These morons need to be exposed, lose their friends, family and employment. Ultimately the worst of them need to lose their right to walk the street and make to spend some time at her majesty's pleasure. Not sure the taking of the knee is effective beyond being a token gesture although I get that footballers, like the rest of us don't have the power to change anything beyond making these kinds of statements.

A real disgrace that people can get away with posing racist stuff online. The social media sites that allow this need to be regulated/fined and enforced to stop it happening.

On a lighter note I love this old video of Villa fans singing about Tuanzebe...

Edited by Brumstopdogs

On 01/02/2021 at 11:08, tomav84 said:

here's what i don't get. i love a good flutter me, horses mainly. when i set up a gambling account, before i can do anything, i have to send them a photo of my passport or driving license to prove my age otherwise i cannot place a bet. why can facebook/twitter, who are far, far bigger than the gambling companies, not implement a similar system?

Because if that were implemented, it would be the biggest restriction on free speech that had happened in decades.

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Because if that were implemented, it would be the biggest restriction on free speech that had happened in decades.

No, the fact I cannot say certain things to friends because it may offend a "woke" eavesdropper is a bigger restriction on free speech.

EDIT just for clarity, not at all condoning racism whatsoever...social media is a cesspit full of trolls...just making a point that free speech no longer exists in the way that it should.

The reason these companies don't do it is a combination of not actually caring and knowing they will lose profit/money if they do so. It is their company/platform and if they choose to introduce such measures it is their prerogative. However, they know this will piss a lot of users off, leading to many leaving the platform and in turn financial loss for the company.

Edited by a-k

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Tuanzebe getting more abuse on social media. The world makes me sick sometimes. 

What’s worse is that as I was watching the game, and Tuanzebe made the foul I thought ‘oh dear, better hope they don’t score from this as he’s bound to get racial abuse if so’.........so it’s not even remotely surprising any more.

Accounts can be traced, sometimes easily other times not so much, let’s see some real action and data on this, zero tolerance policy and public outings.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What’s worse is that as I was watching the game, and Tuanzebe made the foul i though ‘oh dear, better hope they don’t score from this as he’s bound to get racial abuse if so’.........so it’s not even remotely surprising any more.

I thought similar. Absolutely ridiculous that we live in a world where abuse is almost expected because a guy makes a mistake in a game of football.

Not that it's acceptable in any wall of live of course. 

On 01/02/2021 at 11:08, tomav84 said:

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

And because if every word removed was banned from social media, they would lose billions of pounds. 

Moral fibre is lost where money is concerned. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I thought similar. Absolutely ridiculous that we live in a world where abuse is almost expected because a guy makes a mistake in a game of football.

Not that it's acceptable in any wall of live of course. 

Most of it comes from complete nobodies, whose only skills are knowing when the urinal cakes in the lavatories they clean need replacing, looking for a 15 minute feeling of "power" because they are complete wastes of oxygen

Just now, a-k said:

Most of it comes from complete nobodies, whose only skills are knowing when the urinal cakes in the lavatories they clean need replacing, looking for a 15 minute feeling of "power" because they are complete wastes of oxygen

I think a lot of it will be kids and bot accounts personally, that’s not to say that I don’t think there’s a problem with racism in society because I do, and there clearly is.

But there is a difference between a 12 year old kid posting racist crap and a 35 year old doing the same, so if it is kids let’s identify and educate them.

And if there are bot accounts sowing malicious discontent let’s start tracking them to see who’s doing it (or just to target which branch of Russian/Chinese government is sponsoring it).

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think a lot of it will be kids and bot accounts personally, that’s not to say that I don’t think there’s a problem with racism in society because I do, and there clearly is.

But there is a difference between a 12 year old kid posting racist crap and a 35 year old doing the same, so if it is kids let’s identify and educate them.

I watched a doco last week - Micah Richards & racism in football. He talked to a bloke who deals with the racist trolls on social media. He said they range in age from teenagers to 50+ year olds. Nearly all men. But the idea it's just immature kids isn't borne out by reality.

Â