Racism in Football

Zatman

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Racists are typically cowardly and unprincipled and are scared of being called out. The ones that aren't are extremely dangerous, mind.

I’d say the first lot are just as dangerous if not more so. At least with the second lot what you see is what you get. You know they are racist. 

The first lot make conscious decisions in their life based on someone’s race but with a smile on their face so it means you’re non the wiser. 

I think there’s also a third group. They are not racist but also keep quiet as scared their opinion or view could be deemed racist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d say the first lot are just as dangerous if not more so. At least with the second lot what you see is what you get. You know they are racist. 

The first lot make conscious decisions in their life based on someone’s race but with a smile on their face so it means you’re non the wiser. 

I think there’s also a third group. They are not racist but also keep quiet as scared their opinion or view could be deemed racist.

I'd agree with this - especially dangerous when they get into positions of power, because that's how the systemic stuff begins. 

• Like 2

Seen some comments on Twitter by fans and elsewhere online and I just wish some would stop taking the easy route and calling other supporters racist because they have some concerns with taking the knee. It’s not that simple, it’s a complex issue and needs to be debated openly so everyone is brought along. There is obviously sections of fans in some clubs who think taking the knee is contrived in some way as to the links to BLM. The PL and other leagues have been trying to distance themselves from BLM, but I don’t think they have communicated it clearly enough to football supporters. Yes BLM had adopted this, but it the NFL player Kaepernick I believe who first copied Martin Luther King in 2016 by taking the knee.

Yes there are racists out there, there always will be and unfortunately some support football clubs. But in a time when we support the players for taking a stand and the clubs and the leagues supporting this, can we not marginalise other fans for what may not be racism but valid concerns that should be listened to and debated openly.

Edited by QldVilla
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

and theres the group that are hypocrites, that stand up against racism to keep or promote their jobs but privately they couldn't care less. 

4 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Seen some comments on Twitter by fans and elsewhere online and I just wish some would stop taking the easy route and calling other supporters racist because they have some concerns with taking the knee. It’s not that simple, it’s a complex issue and needs to be debated openly so everyone is brought along. There is obviously sections of fans in some clubs who think taking the knee is contrived in some way as to the links to BLM. The PL and other leagues have been trying to distance themselves from BLM, but I don’t think they have communicated it clearly enough to football supporters. Yes BLM had adopted this, but it the NFL player Kaepernick I believe who first copied Martin Luther King in 2016 by taking the knee.

Yes there are racists out there, there always will be and unfortunately some support football clubs. But in a time when we support the players for taking a stand and the clubs and the leagues supporting this, can we not marginalise other fans for what may not be racism but valid concerns that should be listened to and debated openly.

I kind of take this point but would add that Millwall released a club statement from the players themselves to tell their fans exactly why they were taking the knee. Included in the statement is the following:

“We wish to make clear that taking the knee, for us, is in no way representative of any agreement with political messaging or ideology. It is purely about tackling discrimination, as has been the case throughout."

That seems like a pretty clear statement distancing the taking of the knee from the BLM movement to me and anybody booing it needs to take a long hard look at themselves. As mentioned by a previous poster I'm pretty shocked that Millwall have given in to those booing by stopping the gesture themselves. 

• Like 1

John Barnes having an interesting time on twitter for not agreeing with the general consensus about if the 4th official was racist or not in the PSG - FC Erdogan game last night.

4 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I kind of take this point but would add that Millwall released a club statement from the players themselves to tell their fans exactly why they were taking the knee. Included in the statement is the following:

“We wish to make clear that taking the knee, for us, is in no way representative of any agreement with political messaging or ideology. It is purely about tackling discrimination, as has been the case throughout."

That seems like a pretty clear statement distancing the taking of the knee from the BLM movement to me and anybody booing it needs to take a long hard look at themselves. As mentioned by a previous poster I'm pretty shocked that Millwall have given in to those booing by stopping the gesture themselves. 

We live in a time where groups like BLM target organisations through emails etc saying if you don’t do this or other your racist. The CEO’s and other rather than standing on principle cave into these organisations very easily so they don’t get targeted. I’m not saying that the PL or other leagues have done this, but besides saying otherwise, this taking the knee has come about because of what has occurred in America and the BLM protests.

So I can understand where supporters can feel it may be contrived no matter what clubs or the leagues say otherwise when there’s been a recent history of organisations caving to the wishes of minority groups. Football has always had its anti racism campaign going back to the 90’s and some fans would be saying football has led on this issues and doesn’t need to be lectured too.

As I said it’s a complex issue, so rather than judging other fans, let’s listen to what they have to say, rather than trying to label and ostricise them.

On 11/12/2020 at 19:24, villalad21 said:

It's a difficult situation, because you could argue that players would have to take the knee forever. After all, is there a good time to end this?

Not taking the knee is not a sign of racism. Taking the knee is not a sign of virtue.

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's a difficult situation, because you could argue that players would have to take the knee forever. After all, is there a good time to end this?

Not taking the knee is not a sign of racism. Taking the knee is not a sign of virtue.

At some point a player will twig a hamstring and it will stop overnight.

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

At a structural level. This is quite a stat and demonstrates how English football remains an old boys club for many

Not even just from a purely racial standpoint, but really for any manager working their way up I imagine that's a frustrating stat to look at.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

West Brom had to put out a statement due to the racial abuse of Romaine Sawyers by his own fans. Same thing happened to our Axel after United lost to Sheffield United. We've had problems with racism too but I can't remember us racially abusing one of our own after a loss. We just give them old fashioned abuse :lol:

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

West Brom had to put out a statement due to the racial abuse of Romaine Sawyers by his own fans. Same thing happened to our Axel after United lost to Sheffield United. We've had problems with racism too but I can't remember us racially abusing one of our own after a loss. We just give them old fashioned abuse :lol:

We dont really know what was said to El Ghazi in them messages. 

West Brom attitude shocks me as they were one of the first clubs as well to embrace black players

Â