January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

13 hours ago, Hornso said:

Watched this Lad play a few times for my local team Bristol Rovers a few years back. He is a very good footballer. Got a brilliant left foot on him the only problem was his consistency.  He was only 20 at the time so you could expect that. Would be a decent addition though 

I'm happy to see us going for young, undervalued players instead of 30 year old former PL journeymen on big wages.

My main concern would be the ability of our scouting department to identify decent players. Yes Smith had a lot of success with this at Brentford but by all accounts he was just head coach and their recruitment was responsible for finding a number of gems both before and during his tenure.

The last time we tried something similar our scouting department was responsible for the likes of Tonev, Helenius, Crespo, Okore, Luna and Bacuna! As far as I'm aware we've not had wholesale changes in the recruitment area since those days?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

tammy can be sold at any point by his parent club 

I don't think so. Chelsea saying they don't want to sell him aside, there is a cast iron contract that says they can't recall him after the 14th. They would have to recall him to sell him, so it looks like he's staying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villadodo said:

I'm happy to see us going for young, undervalued players instead of 30 year old former PL journeymen on big wages.

My main concern would be the ability of our scouting department to identify decent players. Yes Smith had a lot of success with this at Brentford but by all accounts he was just head coach and their recruitment was responsible for finding a number of gems both before and during his tenure.

The last time we tried something similar our scouting department was responsible for the likes of Tonev, Helenius, Crespo, Okore, Luna and Bacuna! As far as I'm aware we've not had wholesale changes in the recruitment area since those days?

I think the last time would have been Amavi, Gueye, Ayew, Veretout, Adama.

If only we had had a proper manager.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Problem is they might be shit. Let's be honest how many have been that impressive when given chances? RM and o hare when called open haven't really taken their chances

Depends on what you classify as a chance. 

It's hard to impress when you only get 5 minutes at the end of a game. 

Callum O'Hare had a fine game v Peterborough last season in the cup, you could argue he took his chance.. But he didn't feature again for the remainder of the season. 

• Like 1

Turkish papers claiming we are after Islam Slimani, currently on loan at Fenerbahce from Leicester.

Somehow I don't see this one happening :D 

also reports we are after yet another Everton player who can't get a game there after a bad injury in James McCarthy.

Don't see that one happening either.

Both seem like transfers I'd expect to see had Bruce still been here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sne said:

Turkish papers claiming we are after Islam Slimani, currently on loan at Fenerbahce from Leicester.

Somehow I don't see this one happening :D 

also reports we are after yet another Everton player who can't get a game there after a bad injury in James McCarthy.

Don't see that one happening either.

Both seem like transfers I'd expect to see had Bruce still been here.

McCarthy would be an excellent stop-gap for our midfield problems this season.  Grealish/McGinn/McCarthy would be an ideal combo for Smith's system.  

12 minutes ago, KMitch said:

McCarthy would be an excellent stop-gap for our midfield problems this season.  Grealish/McGinn/McCarthy would be an ideal combo for Smith's system.  

Hard to say that since he's been out a year from football.

His injury record in the last 4-5 years is horrendous.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

He's just extended his contract this month Penney.

The Penney rumors started this week after someone posted an old article on the AVFC subReddit from October about us "monitoring" Penney.  Then the Twitter brigade started up...  But you're right, he's extended his contract and this 100% isn't happening.  hahaha

47 minutes ago, KMitch said:

The Penney rumors started this week after someone posted an old article on the AVFC subReddit from October about us "monitoring" Penney.  Then the Twitter brigade started up...  But you're right, he's extended his contract and this 100% isn't happening.  hahaha

the penney's finally dropped

• Haha 1