January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Just because someone plays as a squad player in a league above doesn't automatically mean he is by default better than everyone in the league below! 

People saying Westwood is better than Whelan on that basis need to remember Whelan has spent most of his career in the top flight, doesn't mean he is good. Just like Whelan, if we signed Westwood that would then make him into a Championship player from the premier league on downward spiral. 

There is a difference in being a Premier league squad filler and being a good Premier league player. 

We already had Westwood here and was largely a poor player who didn't really get forward or make any tackles. We have plenty of midfielders who already do that.

Another midfielder who just passes the ball sideways and backwards and doesn't get stuck in, just what we need! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

Yet he's plying his trade at a higher level than us! Say's it all really. Nowhere near as bad a player as some think

I could think of a few shit players in top flight I wouldnt take. Phil Bardsley, Shane Long, Joe Bennett, Paul Dummett etc

25 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Just because someone plays as a squad player in a league above doesn't automatically mean he is by default better than everyone in the league below! 

People saying Westwood is better than Whelan on that basis need to remember Whelan has spent most of his career in the top flight, doesn't mean he is good. Just like Whelan, if we signed Westwood that would then make him into a Championship player from the premier league on downward spiral. 

There is a difference in being a Premier league squad filler and being a good Premier league player. 

We already had Westwood here and was largely a poor player who didn't really get forward or make any tackles. We have plenty of midfielders who already do that.

Another midfielder who just passes the ball sideways and backwards and doesn't get stuck in, just what we need! 

He's a starter for them, and an important player in their squad. He doesn't warm the bench like Lansbury does for us, he actually gets substantial game time.

This isn't directed at you but I don't know why people can't look past the baggage, and just analyze the situation objectively. Pretend his name isn't Westwood and he never played for us. Would he improve our midfield? Is he the type of passing holding midfielder we currently need? Is he attainable? Yes to all of those questions.

Is he really that much worse than all the other names swirling around this window like Sawyers, McEachran etc? The only thing they have on him is a couple of years in age.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Junxs said:

My mate used to call Westwood “Pointy”, because all he ever did was point to where he thought someone should run. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’ve not heard of him. If he’s highly rated and promising then I’d like to see him come in, just have to trust those assessing the player as I’ve never seen or even heard of him.

Hopefully he's a left back

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Pretend his name isn't Westwood and he never played for us. Would he improve our midfield? Is he the type of passing holding midfielder we currently need? Is he attainable? Yes to all of those questions.

Is he really that much worse than all the other names swirling around this window like Sawyers, McEachran etc? The only thing they have on him is a couple of years in age.

Why pretend when we had him for a number of years and know exactly how he plays.

Would he improve our midfield? He ain't better than Grealish or McGinn and he certainly doesn't have the skill set to play the dm role.. So it's a categorical no that he doesn't improve us. 

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Why pretend when we had him for a number of years and know exactly how he plays.

Would he improve our midfield? He ain't better than Grealish or McGinn and he certainly doesn't have the skill set to play the dm role.. So it's a categorical no that he doesn't improve us. 

Pretend because his time for us has passed, with its own context and set of circumstances, which have also fortunately passed.

Case in point, the way Burnley fans receive and perceive him right now is vastly different from the way we do, despite him being there for just about as long as he was with us. Same player, but different circumstances and unsurprisingly different outcomes.

Would he improve our team? Well he's better than every option we currently have for that third midfield spot behind Grealish and McGinn. If Lansbury wasnt an expensive crock then I wouldn't even be considering him, but alas this is the predicament we find ourselves in 

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/aston-villa-approach-caen-for-frederic-guilbert/

Championship side Aston Villa have made an approach for 24-year-old Caen full-back Frédéric Guilbert, according to Ouest-France.

The outlet makes clear that the Normandy side have not responded to the contact and have no intention of entertaining negotiations.