January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

I know he's not the most likely around here, but I would definitely take Ashley Westwood back if he were available, such is the state of our midfield. He's a better holding midfielder than Whelan, Bjarnason and even Hourihane. He can actually pass the ball for one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I know he's not the most likely around here, but I would definitely take Ashley Westwood back if he were available, such is the state of our midfield. He's a better holding midfielder than Whelan, Bjarnason and even Hourihane. He can actually pass the ball for one.

Key player for Burnley at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I like Westwood but am still recovering from venturing into his thread 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I always liked Westwood.  He was a bargain signing which turned out well for us.  I never understood the flack he got from a lot of fans.  He always worked hard on the pitch for us, but I guess it was because he wasn't a hard tackler or a goal scoring threat.  Someone in his mold would thrive in the DM position in Deano's set up.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I always liked Westwood.  He was a bargain signing which turned out well for us.  I never understood the flack he got from a lot of fans.  He always worked hard on the pitch for us, but I guess it was because he wasn't a hard tackler or a goal scoring threat.  Someone in his mold would thrive in the DM position in Deano's set up.

Me too

Very underrated during his time here.

Not the most spectacular of players though I think Eric Cantona would have described him as a “water carrier”

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Could tottenhams 11 million pound sale of Mousa Dembélé be an indication that they may come in for Jack Grealish given there a midfielder light now.

Sorry if it's taking away from what you guys are talking about, it's just that it seems strange they have sold one of there's yet have no players that have come in as of yet.

Jack's injury has all but ended our promotion hopes and in the same way, I would presume it may well have temporarily ended Levy's interest in bringing him to Spurs (during this transfer window at least). 

22 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No. No. A thousand times no. 

More cowardly than Hourihane in both the tackles he shirks and the risks he takes from an attacking perspective. At least Conor contributes with goals and assists. ]

You know revisionism is in full swing when people are talking about one of the worst midfielders we've had, in one of the worst squads we've had, with a little bit of fondness. Awful player. 

Hmmm. He is holding his own in the Premier League now. At least when he first came under Lambert we stayed up even though Lerner had pulled all investment from the club—he was part of better Villa teams than we have now. Do you think Burnley would swap him for Hourihane? Do you think if we go up we'll want to be relying on Hourihane?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Hmmm. He is holding his own in the Premier League now. At least when he first came under Lambert we stayed up even though Lerner had pulled all investment from the club—he was part of better Villa teams than we have now. Do you think Burnley would swap him for Hourihane? Do you think if we go up we'll want to be relying on Hourihane?

That’s an interesting question. I am unsure of a straight swap at DM. Westwood is performing well within a defined and settled set-up. However, I could see CH being just as successful future forward, within that system at Burnley. Given his delivery and potency as a midfield goal threat, I think he would show more of a numbers output than Westwood.

What I’m more certain of is that Westwood does not have the qualities required to dramatically affect this Villa midfield, we really do lack tenacity in the middle of the park.

However, it’s clear that Westwood has been a very astute, and good value signing for them (they do seem to get very few wrong).

Burnley have gone from 7th last season when he wasnt a regular to 15th this season. He was quite awful at this level and amazed we coukd sell him

Can outpoint Whelan though if it came to a contest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

No. No. A thousand times no. 

More cowardly than Hourihane in both the tackles he shirks and the risks he takes from an attacking perspective. At least Conor contributes with goals and assists. ]

You know revisionism is in full swing when people are talking about one of the worst midfielders we've had, in one of the worst squads we've had, with a little bit of fondness. Awful player. 

He is Premier League quality and Hourihane is Championship quality. 

You would struggle to find a Burnley fan who would be happy swapping the two but plenty of Villa fans would. 

Westwood moght be better than Hourihane as a player, but in our team he would look just as bad as he does not have the attributes we need in the same way Hourihane does not.

We need a tenacious dcm with power and who is strong in the tackle who can protect the defence and let the other 2 cms take possession and hurt our opponents.

Westwood cannot be that player

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Westwood was one of the biggest bottle jobs we ever had. In his first season he looked pretty decent. He knocked it first time. Then he turned into cautious conner. Take a touch shit himself and play it back to the centre halves. Or loose it cheap.

never missed training and turning up on time makes you a great pro according to Lambert. However the fans don't see this side we only see Saturday afternoons where he was 99% of the time hopeless.

Idrissa Gaye was 100 times the player. I bet no one is calling for him to come back? How about Bret Holman or Chris Herd?

• Like 2