January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

42 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He's the only left back in the squad...  His backup is Hutton, and we all saw how that worked out for us.  He is a key player for us, only because we look so much weaker without him in the side.

We would not look weaker if we played with ten men and no left back than those two.

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

https://theclaretandview.com/2019/01/16/aston-villa-target-macauley-southam-hales/

1.43 - That outside foot pass😍

He looks like a player that DS would want to coach and improve.

He has the attributes to become our first choice full back for next season. He looks more of the modern day full back with vast amounts physical and technical ability.

If we  offload Elmo and Hutton it would be him and Bree next season.

I believe @chrisp65 is a Barry Town expert. Any thoughts?

@fightoffyour I wouldn't say expert, I haven't got a clue. Being a bit more serious than above 😏 it's a very long way down from the Championship to the WPL, he's already in his twenties and he'd need a while to get up to Championship fitness. You're seeing him speed past players there, some of them are full time professionals, some of them..... not so much.

But I genuinely think this would be a second chance, just like Delaney (Cardiff to Carmarthen to Villa) a few years ago, that he would seize. He's determined, minimum ego, good team ethic, he can spot a pass and place the ball in the box. He can also buy a free kick in a dangerous position.

Cheap enough to take a punt on, that's what I say. Probably get him for the promise of a summer friendly against a third XI.

My guess before Christmas and before their FA Cup windfall, he was going to Newport County.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

@fightoffyour I wouldn't say expert, I haven't got a clue. Being a bit more serious than above 😏 it's a very long way down from the Championship to the WPL, he's already in his twenties and he'd need a while to get up to Championship fitness. You're seeing him speed past players there, some of them are full time professionals, some of them..... not so much.

But I genuinely think this would be a second chance, just like Delaney (Cardiff to Carmarthen to Villa) a few years ago, that he would seize. He's determined, minimum ego, good team ethic, he can spot a pass and place the ball in the box. He can also buy a free kick in a dangerous position.

Cheap enough to take a punt on, that's what I say. Probably get him for the promise of a summer friendly against a third XI.

My guess before Christmas and before their FA Cup windfall, he was going to Newport County.

One thing I have noticed from most players that go from Irish league or English non-league to bigger leagues is they have a steely determination and know they wont get a chance again compared to say some players you might get on loan or dropping down from pampered academies. Vardy, Coleman would be best examples

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We should be throwing £8.5m at Aberdeen for both McKenna and Shinnie. CB and LB who can play and are used to each other already. Sorted.

Shinnie has signed for Wigan by sounds of it

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

He's the only left back in the squad...  His backup is Hutton, and we all saw how that worked out for us.  He is a key player for us, only because we look so much weaker without him in the side.

Guess it's all about opinions but I feel he's the worst left back option at the club despite him being the only left footed left back at the club. 

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We should be throwing £8.5m at Aberdeen for both McKenna and Shinnie. CB and LB who can play and are used to each other already. Sorted.

We might get McKenna for that, but I think they were after £10m for him in the last window.

Based on some of the players we are now being linked with.

It very much seems as if a rebuild and platform for the future is taking priority over immediate promotion.

They are obviously placing great faith in the coaching ability of Smith, whilst hoping to balance the books.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Based on some of the players we are now being linked with.

It very much seems as if a rebuild and platform for the future is taking priority over immediate promotion.

They are obviously placing great faith in the coaching ability of Smith, whilst hoping to balance the books.

Building for League One more than the Premier League, with some of these names being mentioned.  :unsure:

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Building for League One more than the Premier League, with some of these names being mentioned.  :unsure:

It was mentioned before that we should be finding our own gems rather than buying them ready mate. 

Looks like that’s what we’re trying to do and to be honest it will probably end miserable. But if FFP stories are too believed I don’t think we have a choice. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It would be nice if he also attempted to develop our own youth players first where possible!..

To be fair clubs mostly do a bit of both—especially, er, Brentford. They pick out players and develop them. But it could also be bullshit. Seems to have been an unused sub in all the Shrewsbury Town games I just looked at.

26 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It would be nice if he also attempted to develop our own youth players first where possible!..

Problem is they might be shit. Let's be honest how many have been that impressive when given chances? RM and o hare when called open haven't really taken their chances

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Problem is they might be shit. Let's be honest how many have been that impressive when given chances? RM and o hare when called open haven't really taken their chances

Bit of a chicken and egg situation, it's hard to show all your ability in cameo appearances, you usually need a run in the team in order to settle and show what you've got, but then have we ever really been a position to devote that sort of time to a youngster?  In hindsight we might as well have just given 10 games to O'Hare and see what happened but we are so desperate to get promoted and avoid financial ruin that we stick with the tried and trusted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Let's wait and see mate, there is a possibility that the plan for some of these is purely to develop and sell at a high profit.

Not necessarily the crux of our transfer policy.

However on one of the FB Groups an admin at the meeting basically said to expect no big signings and it will be young players etc.

• Like 2