January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I hope we are after Hayden from  Newcastle. These are the kind of signings we need to be looking at. Not hasbeens like whelan.

He is homesick to move to London with his family. Not sure if move to Villa is close enough for him

1 hour ago, Merson08 said:

Most of our youth players are 20. Sounds young and compared to me, extremely young. In football terms though if they ain't broken into your first team there time is close to up. To round a few off RHM, JDH, Easah Suliman and the list goes on. 

Age is just a number and i like the saying if there good enough there old enough.

I honestly think if we had Owen, Rooney, Mbappe, Sancho, Sterling or even Jack Clarke of Leeds there careers wouldn't be like there's are now or even went.

So are we holding our youth back or are they not the mustard we hope for?  

"Most of our youth players are 20"

We have 3 players who are 21 (not counting Bree) One is out on loan (Sarkic) - the other two are Corey Blackett-Taylor and Harry McKirdy - and I fear for both their Villa careers

We have 8 players who are 20 

Andre Green & RHM are out on  loan. Davis & O'Hare are training with the first team - as is JDH - who is mooted to go out on loan.

That leaves Suleiman, Alex Prosser and Jordan Cox - the latter two of whom are pretty much U23 regulars. Clearly Suleiman's om the hot seat

We have 32 players 17-19 age group. 

Only 5 players over 18 started the recent 5-1 win over Man Utd - with the average starting age being just over 19

After Sarkic's loan out, our back 5 normally comprises 3 18-yr olds and a 17-yr old.plus Bedeau who has just turned 19.

I have confidence that Smith recognizes talent - he recently selected Dominic Revan for the bench - not because he was ever likely to play - but as acknowledgement. If any manager of recent years will play youth, it will be Smith

Anyone who has seen our U23 this season will know that they (until Smith's arrival) played the best football at the club. 

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

While I agree with the general sentiment re: our blooding through of young players, some of the examples given are without context and a bit disingenuous. We were a Premier League team when we let the likes of Lichaj, Johnson, Bannan etc go. Just because they'd possibly get into our team several years later now that we're a middling Championship team doesn't suddenly make it an enormous oversight that they were let go at the time, especially considering that they themselves play for middling Championship teams

This is the point I made ages ago as well and I couldn't agree more. We can't keep a youth player indefinately just in case we get relegated in the next 10 years 

Playing the youth does many things for us. 

One we fast track our youth so that they get first team experience faster. While the youth may lose some matches at first, you know the whole bonding together as a team may take abit, but it will happen eventually happen and should be done ASAP as we could have a very youthful side at the start of next season. Were about to lose alot of first teamers, that is a good thing, cuts wages, bring in youth and make a team from them it's a win win situation in the end. We do have a few excellent players that can work beside these youths and attacking football requires less mature legs on the pitch.

We should really do this sooner or later, more and more teams are relying on there youth, we however are not, fans are to impatient at villa and wants wins a d while we all want wins we have to now play the game a different way as throwing money at the problem does not work. We will never know if our younglins are ready, the only way to get them ready is stick them out there and let them go.

I am all for focusing this season and next and fast tracking our youth, while also bringing a few stars in as well that are young. I believe our future lies with them, that our way back to winning lies with them, that our way back to the premiere lies with them and not our first teamers who are complete let downs now.

I believe some people won't put there faith in our youth, in a way I can understand that they are unproven, but things have to change and that things are already bad under our stars who are sposed to be winning as is, so we may as well try them out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is homesick to move to London with his family. Not sure if move to Villa is close enough for him

Burns only 90 minutes from London I think that won't bother him too much. I mean Newcastle is very far so I don't blame him if he is homesick 

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I like what you've done there.

Transfer ROMers...

ROMaine Sawyers...

giphy.gif

One of the English words I never seem to get right. Oh well, when he signs it will certainly give me ITK status. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

New name or one that's been floating around?

Yeah come on Steve don't leave us hanging..we are desperate for news here...something marginally exciting would be nice..

I do hope we are going to pick up Sawyers and Henry from Brentford. Two positions we are screaming out for a bit of cover is LB and centre/ attacking midfield. Both have worked with DS before and will know what he wants from them. 

Shouldn't cost too much either you would expect?