Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think we can play like we did today and think it will work against every team.....it will take a brave man to go all out against Liverpool and Man City.

We are not good enough, at the none finer arts, to play open against them 2.

Surely at city we need to go with Douglas and nakamba both holding 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

What I will say is that our up turn has coincided with Hourihane coming in and Grealish being further forward. Although we've been a bit dodgy at times at the back we are looking far more menacing going forward. Excellent today. Freshened the midfield earlier and also saw the merits for leaving Nakamba on when bringing on Luiz. 10/10 today. 

We had to drop one of the wingers. 2 wingers is too much of a luxury unless they are both devastatingly good. 

We're controlling the middle of the park much more now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

No, we can't.......We need to win EVERY game.

Agreed, Liverpool are already too far away for my liking but beating them home and away should narrow the gap. 

Or maybe not react to my post as if I'm Christian Purslow and am actually going to offer him a new contract, or as if what I write about Dean Smith actually matters. If he does well he will be reward, if he does bad he'll lose his job eventually, same with every manager at every football club.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Every... Single... Time.

It feels that way, but Targett, Mings, Engels, Heaton, McGinn could all need a bit of rest methinks. 

Lets just hope we survive the internationals without adding to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

We had to drop one of the wingers. 2 wingers is too much of a luxury unless they are both devastatingly good. 

We're controlling the middle of the park much more now. 

Spot on

• Thanks 1

I think we have found our best setup/formation/balance/player use.

Only possible areas I think are up for debate still is hourihane or Luiz and El Ghazi or Trez, think the others are pretty nailed on now.

Grealish looks good in that left semi free role with targett behind him.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Only possible areas I think are up for debate still is hourihane or Luiz and El Ghazi or Trez, think the others are pretty nailed on now.

Our survival this season depends on players like Hourihane and El Ghazi producing more 7 or 8 out of 10 performances instead of slipping to 5 or 6 out of 10 like they can. Adding so many quality players in the summer, hopefully capable of performing at least ‘okay’ in at least or half of the games, was absolutely essential (despite the mass media criticism 🙄 😴), and will push the first 11 to be better. Our strength in squad depth has improved massively since May. Without the new players, complacencies and injuries would eventually ruin us.

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Surely at city we need to go with Douglas and nakamba both holding 

I think the City game will be very much a case of "death or bunga"*. We'll need a lot of luck to get anything out of it, however we line up. I'd be satisfied with a half-decent performance and a bit of praise from Pep after the game.

* Two pilots crash in the jungle and are captured by a violent indigenous tribe. The two men are paraded the next day in front of the tribal elders. The chief says "As guests, I will allow you to choose your punishment for invading my territory: DEATH or BUNGA." The first pilot says "Well I have no desire to die today. I choose bunga." And so the tribespeople march through the streets chanting "BUNGA BUNGA BUNGA", before bending the pilot over a bench and inserting fifteen large pineapples up his anus. He lies quivering on the floor, bleeding profusely, whimpering at the awful pain of the life changing injuries inflicted upon him. The second pilot, having witnessed such savagery, says, "I would rather lose my life than experience such savagery! I choose death." The tribespeople march through the streets chanting "DEATH BY BUNGA, DEATH BY BUNGA."

Edited by KentVillan

36 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I thought it was class of Deano to matter-of-factly criticise Wesley in public, without scapegoating him for our results or undermining his confidence.

Just said he performed below the standard he's capable of, but that he'd seen enough vs. Everton and Arsenal to justify his place, and gave him an opportunity this week to rectify it. That's how you give a player a kick up the backside without losing his loyalty.

One of the best things about DS since he arrived is I can't think of a single player who has been "exiled" from the team and lost interest. He seems to give everyone a fair crack, and even the bit part players seem to give 100%. Similar story with Hourihane, who obviously felt very aggrieved after being dropped, but has fought his way back into the team. Same with Douglas, who would be wondering why he's only got 20 mins today, but has nonetheless scored an excellent goal.

This genuine squad game will really start to bear fruit as we get deeper into the season, and fatigue, suspensions, injuries, etc. kick in.

Good post and good points.

The only one I could think of was Thor, but he has moved on now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Douglas Luiz is no dm. Never will be.

Double pivot like Arsenal have employed would work. He can be the Ramsay but so can McGinn or to an extent Hourihane

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, useless said:

Or maybe not react to my post as if I'm Christian Purslow and am actually going to offer him a new contract, or as if what I write about Dean Smith actually matters. If he does well he will be reward, if he does bad he'll lose his job eventually, same with every manager at every football club.

I think the response was more to do with the mention of a contract after 2 wins this season, whether you're Purslow or not. 

It's annoying he's had us playing so scared and defensive so many weeks when we know what we're capable of going forward. Could comfortably have another 5+ points. 

Â