Dean Smith

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, Dave-R said:

For the haters, this is something for you: Poor Smith walking down the tunnel so we concede, that's all you have today, it's something, just not much of anything.

Brilliant from everyone, ace scoreline, shame about that consolation goal, but we won that's the important thing.

Who on here hates Smith? Genuinely don't think I've ever seen a post like that.

First of all I said it in jest, second of all that doesn't really matter I could have said offer him a new ten year contract in all seriousness and it would make no difference whatsoever, the club aren't going to read the post and decide to actually offer him a new contract, what I or anyone else writes on here really isn't that important. Also not sure what Daneil Farke 'getting shedloads' as to do with anything.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Who on here hates Smith? Genuinely don't think I've ever seen a post like that.

It's something that's rife on social media and is creeping onto this site. Any criticism is met with pant wetting and Calm down it's only 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 games. Or something of that ilk.

Yeah, I know what it's been. I've just posted some thoughts on this, a discussion(!) forum. 

Maybe it's a response to trolls who are overly negative and say anything to get a reaction. Nearly as annoying mind.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

First of all I said it in jest, second of all that doesn't really matter I could have said offer him a new ten year contract in all seriousness and it would make no difference whatsoever, the club aren't going to read the post and decide to actually offer him a new contract, what I or anyone else writes on here really isn't that important. Also not sure what Daneil Farke 'getting shedloads' as to do with anything.

Then what's the point of anyone being on here? Surely it's for debate, posting/response? That's how a message board runs/survives.

Criticizing Smith when he is doing something bad doesn't mean people are Smith out or hating on him.

Smith just like any manager out there isn't immune to criticism.

Good job yesterday Smith, well done.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

I'm saying whether you say offer him a contract, sack him or whatever, the club aren't going to do any of those things based on a post written on this forum. How I or anyone else reacts makes no difference whatsoever to what goes on at the club. Before yesterday's result I was of the opinion that we'd had a disappointing start and should have got more points from the fixtures we've had, that doesn't mean to say I wanted Smith to get the sack or anything, but it's perfectly okay to express some disappointment at how the season had gone so far, admit things weren't going great and hope for better, in the same way it's perfectly okay to feel more positive after yesterday's result.

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Criticizing Smith when he is doing something bad doesn't mean people are Smith out or hating on him.

Smith just like any manager out there isn't immune to criticism.

Good job yesterday Smith, well done.

This. It's possible to have two thoughts in the head at once. But it doesn't work like that on here. Saw that clearly in the Grealish thread as well. 

Criticism is fine if it is given with sound reasoning and such...but the 'Poor from Smith' sorts of posts are the ones that rile.

Such as Arsenal...he would have been hammered more if he had have made changes that resulted in the loss...and those knee jerk posts after that match were proper spoilt little princess stuff and quite frankly embarrassing!

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Then what's the point of anyone being on here? Surely it's for debate, posting/response? That's how a message board runs/survives.

There's one poster on here who posts nothing but idiotic bile about Smith and can barely bring himself to post when we actually do well. Other than that VT is hardly full of 'haters'.

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's annoying he's had us playing so scared and defensive so many weeks when we know what we're capable of going forward. Could comfortably have another 5+ points. 

Do you honestly think he has us playing that way?

If he had previous for setting his teams up to play deep and defend I’d agree but we all know it’s not his style. We’re newly promoted and most of this team have never played at the level before. We’ve had only 2 games against 2 teams in the current bottom half and we won them both. 

I think it’s very harsh to say Smith had us playing scared and defensive. 

• Like 1

There seems to be a pattern of Smith gets criticised. Somebody then defends him. A discussion ensues about Smith.

But then somebody calls the first fan a Smith hater. Somebody then says you are not allowed to criticise Smith on this thread.  A discussion then ensues about this.  (Same for Grealish thread). 

This pattern continues until it’s match day again. 

In my opinion it seems to be it’s all about the result for a lot of people. We win he got it right. We didn’t he got it wrong.

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Do you honestly think he has us playing that way?

If he had previous for setting his teams up to play deep and defend I’d agree but we all know it’s not his style. We’re newly promoted and most of this team have never played at the level before.

Yeah definitely. We weren't last season because it was a different league. This season, he's definitely getting scared later in games. If it was just 1 or 2 players wanting to sit, it'd cause us to be very disjointed. When the whole team is doing it as a unit, that's instructions come from the coach.

Fortunately yesterday that didn't happen and we reaped the rewards. Maybe, and hopefully, he's learned from his mistakes early in the season as it gives us a lot of time to push on now.

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yeah definitely. We weren't last season because it was a different league. This season, he's definitely getting scared later in games. If it was just 1 or 2 players wanting to sit, it'd cause us to be very disjointed. When the whole team is doing it as a unit, that's instructions come from the coach.

Fortunately yesterday that didn't happen and we reaped the rewards. Maybe, and hopefully, he's learned from his mistakes early in the season as it gives us a lot of time to push on now.

Maybe. I think they just naturally sat deep against better opposition when holding a lead.  We didn’t hold the ball wel so kept being forced to retreat in my opinion. 

Guess we’ll never know what his instructions were but I see where you’re coming from.

26 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I’m not sure that’s true. Against Arsenal the bench we’re urging the players to get forward. I think when under pressure from better teams,  it’s natural to go a little deeper and that’s the case for all teams, even at times the very best. Only confidence can make that mind set less of an influence on the whole team as a group. I see the logic of your argument, that if they all do it it must be the coaches instructions, but for the reasons I’ve said, I don’t think that’s the case. 

It is crucial Smith  comes out and tell the fANS who the designated penatly taker is. I demand a press conference first thing monday!

I think wesley only took the pen because he was on a hatrick.  No one else springs to mind.

It goes down as one of the worst pens I've ever seen. worse than gary linkekers last pen for england. Wesleys pen was just as pathetic. the run up was a joke too short and the execution was like the guys who do the half time kick the ball into the circle game at Villa park...ie utter garbage.

you look through the squad 1 to 11 and think there's no obvious guy who is going to take the pens. Maybe Connor hourihane. you'd thkn Grealish would be all over it to boost his stats for his impending england call up.

You want a run up to be like shearer or gerrard. Long run up full power. like waddle in the world cup. Id rather miss the target with a thunderbolt than live with the shame of a 3rd choice veteran keeper palming my soft shot away.

I can't believe Smith is  happy with a 5-1 when it really should of been 6-0. disgrace.

• Haha 2

Â