Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the last one you could even make a small argument for is SGT leaving for the England national team, which obviously turned out to be a disaster, but since then, nobody has come even close.

I'd love to see a comparison to other PL clubs because it seems like we kill off more managerial careers than I'd expect, but I have no data to back that up

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Managers graveyard is B6

Emery better stay put until he retires then.   :lol:

• Like 2

Depends how you look at it. 

Martin O’Neill got the Ireland job. Now personally speaking, I’m of the view that international management isn’t really akin to top flight club football. It’s not as demanding, I don’t know. It’s not as good, basically.

Nevertheless, it’s a big job.

Steve Bruce also managed Newcastle after us. Ok, “no way are Newcastle bigger than Vil…blah blah blah”, that’s not what I’m saying, not interested in the conversation…But it was a premier league job he had after managing us in the championship. On that metric alone, it was a bigger job for him.

He had shit poured on his head on a regular basis, a lot of it deserved. But by virtue of it being in the Premier league, it was a bigger stage for the shit bucket to be deployed.

59 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Steve Bruce also managed Newcastle after us. Ok, “no way are Newcastle bigger than Vil…blah blah blah”, that’s not what I’m saying, not interested in the conversation…But it was a premier league job he had after managing us in the championship. On that metric alone, it was a bigger job for him.

Yeah I'd give you that one actually, I'd just purged him from my memory.

Not having that RoI is a bigger job than a PL job though, especially if you take into account the view you did of Bruce, of where we were as a club when O'Neill managed us. A comfortable top half PL job for a club qualifying in Europe is bigger than most international jobs, but certainly blooming Ireland.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not having that RoI is a bigger job than a PL job though, especially if you take into account the view you did of Bruce, of where we were as a club when O'Neill managed us. A comfortable top half PL job for a club qualifying in Europe is bigger than most international jobs, but certainly blooming Ireland.

I personally wouldn’t put it as a bigger job. But I accept that there are those who feel differently regarding international football generally and that managing ROI at the Euros is sufficiently significant enough to perhaps not be considered a management graveyard.

It’s its own thing, I guess. 

23 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

He's got his work cut out for him. Charlotte's lineup is one of the more dire ones as they come in the MLS.

Ownership is also extremely hands on and wants quick results. Don't like it for Dean, personally.

MLS is going to lean heavily into the attack here, I'm hoping Dean has the chops to do it. Some pretty good up and comers (Nancy) and legendary managers (Tata) in the league.

Wonder would he be interested in any of our current or ex players that he worked with. Hause would spring to mind, maybe Anwar under different circumstances

Grealish could reignite his career as a DP under the only manager to really get the best out of him 😝

Edited by Zatman

Hause is a good shout. Anwar I think doesn't want to move his family too much though a lot of clubs are probably going to stay away in Europe.

Grealish I think is destined for the MLS one day and would wreak havoc with free reign though Charlotte is hardly the destination spot like Miami or LA.

Tepper is the worst NFL owner in the league, nothing Charlotte FC has done has changed my mind hes any better in MLS.

Ive got friends who work on the coaching side and they lost a couple of very good youth head honchos.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

A lot of Irish people like me follow the villa. MON qualified Ireland for Euro 2016 and led us to some really famous wins for example against World Chanpions Germany and against Italy at the Euros. It's not a huge job in the grand scheme of things, but MON will, as a proud Irishman on the other side of the border, have seen it as a big job.

I find your comments a little bit unnecessary to be fair.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

Â