Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Beat the MLS champions Columbus Crew last night, although by all accounts it was a comedy match.

You know you're in for a wild ride when you have you a first half that started with a bad kick off, ran for 62 minutes and included a red card, a missed penalty, a missed open goal, a disallowed goal and multiple VAR reviews.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Beat the MLS champions Columbus Crew last night, although by all accounts it was a comedy match.

You know you're in for a wild ride when you have you a first half that started with a bad kick off, ran for 62 minutes and included a red card, a missed penalty, a missed open goal, a disallowed goal and multiple VAR reviews.

Tavares - Heaven Must Be Missing a Penalty. 

1 hour ago, HongKongVillan said:

Plus Westwood actually scoring a beauty 

Great finish not sure what the keeper was doing as he went for a walk

Also classic Westwood not tracking his man for the disallowed goal 😉

As a Crew fan, it stings slightly a bit less that it was to Deano.

But that match referee was AWFUL. Red card for something that might be a booking, then our captain gets stamped by Arfield and it's not even a booking. A very slight nudge for a penalty? Awful.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OhioVilla said:

But that match referee was AWFUL. Red card for something that might be a booking, then our captain gets stamped by Arfield and it's not even a booking. A very slight nudge for a penalty? Awful.

All I could think of at first then was Crewe Alexandra - given Westwood started there.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, OhioVilla said:

Didnt the ref give a yellow and the VAR overruled to a red card?

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Didnt the ref give a yellow and the VAR overruled to a red card?

I don't believe he did. I guess I could rewatch the whole debacle, but I'm pretty sure it went from foul to straight Red.

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

All I could think of at first then was Crewe Alexandra - given Westwood started there.

Sorry, Columbus Crew. You know, us Americans and how we name teams. The MLS in particular is awful with this. The few teams remaining from the beginning have out of place names when compared to a team like Charlotte FC or St Louis City SC (so wordy)

Just now, OhioVilla said:

I don't believe he did. I guess I could rewatch the whole debacle, but I'm pretty sure it went from foul to straight Red.

Sorry, Columbus Crew. You know, us Americans and how we name teams. The MLS in particular is awful with this. The few teams remaining from the beginning have out of place names when compared to a team like Charlotte FC or St Louis City SC (so wordy)

Yeah I got it after a few seconds. I looked into the MLS shortly after, never knew there were 29 teams in it! 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2024 at 12:05, Zatman said:

Also classic Westwood not tracking his man for the disallowed goal 😉

I'm sure he made up for it with a half dozen ineffectual sideways passes

Charlotte's loss to New England is made that bit more bitter because New England's manager actually guaranteed they would win the match in his pre-game press conference. 

He then tried to claim he didn't do that in the post game briefing and was taken out of context, but he absolutely did.

• Haha 1

On 24/03/2024 at 19:04, OhioVilla said:

We have Toronto FC, but everyone here calls it soccer!! Talk about being confused!

This was utterly miraculous from Deano, seven points from safety with four games to go, I knew four points would give us a chance if West Ham beat Watford becase Watford then had to play Manchester City and Arsenal, but even allowing for that not too unlikely outcome, we stil had to somehow get eight points from our remaining four, it had take us fourteen games to get our previous eight points

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, useless said:

This was utterly miraculous from Deano, seven points from safety with four games to go, I knew four points would give us a chance if West Ham beat Watford becase Watford then had to play Manchester City and Arsenal, but even allowing for that not too unlikely outcome, we stil had to somehow get eight points from our remaining four, it had take us fourteen games to get our previous eight points

Let's all thank Emi for not covering his near post properly so trez's shot v Arsenal went in 😁

• Haha 3

I've lost track of which clubs are part of V Sports, but when Smith is done with FC Charlotte, maybe we will give him a job with one of those

Edited by useless

Beat Toronto at home, just. Worth a watch for some comical moments - Toronto's first goal is basically the image they'd use to illustrate what offside from a cross looks like, and Toronto's red card is completely brainless, last man pulls down the striker in the last second of a match that's already lost, what on earth are you doing.

I know we’ve gone onto bigger and better things most probably but a massive part of me still misses the bloke being in charge

• Like 4

Really enjoyed that interview. He is just a lovely bloke isn't he and the affection he has for Villa just oozes out of him. He was so proud to have managed his/our club and we as a fan base are proud to have had him manage us. If he still has ambition to manage in England at the top level I hope he gets another shot at it.

Â