Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I bet Smith loves it, disappointed that it's not himself who did it but at the same time buzzing his tits off jsut like the rest of us

I think was a time during interviews you could hear how bitter he was about being sacked and it was probably more to what replaced him. With somebody like Unai in charge he can not really complain about the management

11 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

When Unai first shakes his hand and says “Thank you for everything” 🥹

The bloke is so respectful and knowledgeable. He knew what Deano did and what he means to us lot, he’s just a top top bloke and you can tell how happy Dean is seeing us in great hands now despite what came immediately after him.

brings a tear to my eye 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

More than that, he got the buzz back, he brought the fans back, it was his villa team that got the ST waiting list on the go

Gerrard tried his hardest to put a huge **** dent in that but there's still a huge amount of feel good around the place that stems from deanos villa

I honestly just about lost hope before he came.

Almost a decade of suffering through Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert, Sherwood, Garde etc. And then when we were meant to reset in the Championship and spent a boatload of money we were still playing ass-backwards football and invariably falling short.

He completely transformed our fortunes and had us playing the best football I'd ever witnessed from Villa up til that point. The whole vibe around those promotion times was immaculate and it was the snowball effect that got us to where we are. I'll never forget 2018/19. My favourite season in all of sports (my Toronto Raptors also won their first every championship that season).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

With Dean, you always got the feeling that he was a nice bloke, there's something plainly warm and humble about him.

The players loved playing for him. Got Mings career going, followed through the recommendation to sign Martinez. Developed Luiz nicely albeit more in DM role. Huge influence in Ollie's career. I remember his interview after we beat Palace with 10 men and he said he wouldn't have any other forward in the league playing for us that day. Konsa aswell played for him in two spells and developed into a good top half CB.

DS probably isn't the type of manager who can take the next step but he's a very good at building blocks and constructing well balanced line ups. Did it at Walsall on a meagre budget and that got squandered after he left and positioned Brentford as a well drilled comfortable top half championship team and Frank took that on.

He can be proud of what he achieved here. Next step is to find another club that gives him time to develop rather than just fire fighting to save them from relegation.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 4

Of those clubs that played a comparable amount of Premier League games as us whilst Dean Smith was manager, only Burnley, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Wolves, Everton, West Ham, Spurs, Leicester, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City, took more points than us in that special time.

• Like 1

Lots of love for Deano. Would be great to have him back at the club in some capacity, think he is brilliant with the younger players and helping to find talent. However I suspect he will want to continue coaching first teams. 

On 23/10/2023 at 21:09, useless said:

Of those clubs that played a comparable amount of Premier League games as us whilst Dean Smith was manager, only Burnley, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Wolves, Everton, West Ham, Spurs, Leicester, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City, took more points than us in that special time.

So . . . 12 teams? In other words, basically all of them?

Don't get me wrong I love Deano but I'm not sure this is the stat to boost him. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Smith took us from 15th place in the championship to promotion in the same season, list the teams that have matched that achievement.

Premier  league......you have to take into account the fact we was newly promoted for his first season, remove the established Premier league teams from that list and it becomes more of an indication. 

4 hours ago, tinker said:

Smith took us from 15th place in the championship to promotion in the same season, list the teams that have matched that achievement.

Premier  league......you have to take into account the fact we was newly promoted for his first season, remove the established Premier league teams from that list and it becomes more of an indication. 

Exactly took us over sitting near relegation in the championship. 2 full seasons later we are 11th in the prem with 55 pts. 

Not many clubs progressed to a similar level during that time frame. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Exactly took us over sitting near relegation in the championship. 2 full seasons later we are 11th in the prem with 55 pts. 

Not many clubs progressed to a similar level during that time frame. 

How on earth did we sit that close to relegation in the championship with all those money spent...

Bruce should be charged for murder

• Like 1

On 04/10/2023 at 15:26, Villatillidie95 said:

9th october 1976, he would have been 5 so maybe! 47 year anniversary next week. I was thinking of the history of William McGregor, a Scottish Draper who was a Rangers fan and his wife who was a Hearts fan and then he merged the 2 colours to create the claret and blue of villa. Thats why we apparently have the lion rampant, similar to the scottish royal banner and rangers badge. Someone on VT posted it in one of the threads, was quite interesting as i didnt know that about villa but always thought there was a lot of similarities to rangers

Hearts didn't exist when Aston Villa was formed and didn't play in claret until 1877/78.

Either way, McGregor and his family moved to Birmingham in 1870, years before either Rangers or Hearts existed. And previously they'd lived in Perthshire. So it's hard to imagine they'd have any connection to Rangers or Hearts to be honest. 

I imagine that story about the colours is completely made up.

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just at a glance, Arsenal seem to be missing from that list of teams too. I know they weren’t great but they finished ahead of us in Smith’s two full premier league seasons and were ahead of us when he was sacked so not quite sure how they would have fewer points in a comparable amount of premier league games. 

• Like 1

Â