Dean Smith

Demitri_C

20 hours ago, JPJCB said:

He’s too good for an MLS job.

he needs to go to a championship club which are on the way up, not on the way down. One where the manager has just been poached for a bigger team rather than sacked. That then gives a more stable platform to do what he does best rather than firefighting which I don’t think is his strength 

Swansea would be a good fit for him but they want the Spurs number two. Thought he might've been in contention for Bristol City but they took the Oxford manager.

I keep on thinking Stoke but he might struggle to keep them up as they are seriously in danger of relegation from the championship. Wesley might put in a good word for him though!

34 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Maybe he doesn't care about challenging himself in England anymore and wants to spend more time with his son in the US. Wouldn't blame him, it'll be hard to achieve what he has with us elsewhere. 

That's a really fair point I think.

Getting us up, managing us and then keeping us in the premier league would've been the ultimate for him in his managerial career and he accomplished that fairly early. Icing on the cake would've been winning a major trophy and he was one game from that and a bit of luck as usual for us in a major final.

Think he just went in at Norwich as he still wanted to be working and he wasn't expecting to be sacked here but it felt like a tall order from the off and he was going through the motions there in the end.

Leicester actually was a good challenge. Should've probably kept them up and he'd have had a decent chance of getting that gig full time but didn't happen and probably the offers since have been unattractive.

Could follow a similar path to Gregory after leaving. Didn't McLeish randomly manage in Egypt for a bit aswell?

Charlotte FC should give him the job but I expect they will go with the big name in lampard. Phil Neville was in USA Network today and just got the Portland timbers job, deano is a much better manager than either of those 2. So there are jobs out there and he will end up in one soon enough, hope it’s the one he went for though, could definitely do better than the MLS but I think being in the US will suit him at this point in time both personally and professionally 

Brilliant for him, his son is based in Carolina too so will almost certainly be the main factor. I don't think Dean plans to stick in management into his sixties so it's a great move.

More family time, a new country to manage in, almost certainly less stress than managing a team like Norwich. 

He even gets to manage the midfield maestro of Ashley Westwood.

Life is more important to enjoy it, good for him. 

• Like 3

I live in South Carolina, about two hours from Charlotte. His son went to North Carolina State University and now plays for a club in Greenville, South Carolina. That's about an hour and a half from Charlotte, so would put Dean much closer to his son. 

And yes, one of the biggest names in North Carolina sports was college basketball coach Dean Smith, who coached at the University of North Carolina. He was Michael Jordan's college coach. 

Would love to have Deano in Charlotte. I've never paid MLS much attention but would certainly support them as long as he's there. The trouble is that the owner is a lunatic.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 22:02, VillaAlex said:

Maybe he doesn't care about challenging himself in England anymore and wants to spend more time with his son in the US. Wouldn't blame him, it'll be hard to achieve what he has with us elsewhere. 

Has any previous manager/head coach of Villa gone onto anything better after leaving us?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Has any previous manager/head coach of Villa gone onto anything better after leaving us?

I think the last one you could even make a small argument for is SGT leaving for the England national team, which obviously turned out to be a disaster, but since then, nobody has come even close.

I'd love to see a comparison to other PL clubs because it seems like we kill off more managerial careers than I'd expect, but I have no data to back that up

Â