Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Really enjoyed that interview. He is just a lovely bloke isn't he and the affection he has for Villa just oozes out of him. He was so proud to have managed his/our club and we as a fan base are proud to have had him manage us. If he still has ambition to manage in England at the top level I hope he gets another shot at it.

He should get a shot at the England job, round pegs in round holes, make the players feel good and want to be there, play a generally attacking decent brand of football

Not a chance of it happening though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

He should get a shot at the England job, round pegs in round holes, make the players feel good and want to be there, play a generally attacking decent brand of football

As much as I appreciate what he did for Villa I'd be lying if I said he deserved a crack at the England job. Villa is the only real success on his CV, which is understandably all we care about but Leicester and Norwich especially showed his limitations.

• Like 2

Just now, villan95 said:

As much as I appreciate what he did for Villa I'd be lying if I said he deserved a crack at the England job. Villa is the only real success on his CV, which is understandably all we care about but Leicester and Norwich especially showed his limitations.

Got a better CV than Southgate so I wouldn't rule it out.

• Like 4

The idea that he was some sort of massive failure at Norwich is one of the biggest myths about him going, they were fifth after twenty-four games when he was sacked, they were in no position to be expecting any more than that because their squad simply wasn't good enough, if anything you could say he was overachieving by having them that high, they finished the season in thirteenth

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Better cv than Southgate and a Lampard type who will probably get the job next

At Leicester they were relegated when he got there but brought them to the last game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Better cv than Southgate and a Lampard type who will probably get the job next

At Leicester they were relegated when he got there but brought them to the last game

I don't disagree on the first part but neither of those should be England manager either.

Leicester were by no means relegated though. They were 2 points adrift with 8 matches left when Smith went in.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, useless said:

The idea that he was some sort of massive failure at Norwich is one of the biggest myths about him going, they were fifth after twenty-four games when he was sacked, they were in no position to be expecting any more than that because their squad simply wasn't good enough, if anything you could say he was overachieving by having them that high, they finished the season in thirteenth

I don't think he was a massive failure at Norwich but he wasn't a success either. Also the championship seemed quite weak last season with the likes of Sheff Utd and Luton going up.

Luton and Sheffield United both managed to massively overachived, but just because they did so, it doesn't mean that other teams that didn't overachieve failed. Plus when Norwich sacked Smith, they were above Luton in the table

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Luton and Sheffield United both managed to massively overachived, but just because they did so, it doesn't mean that other teams that didn't overachieve failed. Plus when Norwich sacked Smith, they were above Luton in the table

I think the championship was quite a level playing field last season though and a Norwich squad that had previously gotten automatic promotion twice would have been expected to again.

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Got a better CV than Southgate so I wouldn't rule it out.

Southgate was simply in the right place at the right time. They needed someone to come in quickly who wouldn't risk more embarrassments or scandals. Absolutely no way he'd have got the job without Allardyce causing so much trouble

• Like 4

No one was expecting Norwich to get automatic promotion last season, unless they were completely ignorant of their squad and the squads of the other teams in the Championship, it was nowhere near as good as the likes of Middlesbrough's and Burnley's, it wasn't even as good as Sheffield United's who overachieved in getting automatic promotion, Coventry and Sunderland both had better players as well, it was a top six at best squad, you only have to look where they finished and where they are this season ot see that that much is pretty obvious

4 minutes ago, useless said:

No one was expecting Norwich to get automatic promotion last season, unless they were completely ignorant of their squad and the squads of the other teams in the Championship, it was nowhere near as good as the likes of Middlesbrough's and Burnley's, it wasn't even as good as Sheffield United's who overachieved in getting automatic promotion, Coventry and Sunderland both had better players as well, it was a top six at best squad, you only have to look where they finished and where they are this season ot see that that much is pretty obvious

Maybe so but they were the bookies favourites to win it, so there was a level of expectation.

Also, rightly or wrongly, he won't even be considered for the England job, if all else fails in terms of big name main targets, they will just turn to someone who has worked in the system such as Steve Cooper or Lee Carsley

He shouldn't have taken the Norwich job really. Leicester was a free hit. 

It's interesting seeing him in MLS, he's probably the most qualified manager in that league but he's also on a hiding to nothing from a success perspective, as Charlotte are still a new team that is trying to establish itself and has spent it's first 2 seasons with crap management and a flawed squad. They don't currently, for instance, have their full Designated Player allocation filled and their 'star' striker is currently being outshone by a youth player. Smith seems to have improved the team and the fan base likes him but he's not going to win anything and by all accounts the owner sacks people for fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agree 100%

He’d be a great England coach.

I wouldn’t want him destroyed by the Lahden press though the way they did to SGT.

54 minutes ago, Chindie said:

He shouldn't have taken the Norwich job really. Leicester was a free hit. 

It's interesting seeing him in MLS, he's probably the most qualified manager in that league but he's also on a hiding to nothing from a success perspective, as Charlotte are still a new team that is trying to establish itself and has spent it's first 2 seasons with crap management and a flawed squad. They don't currently, for instance, have their full Designated Player allocation filled and their 'star' striker is currently being outshone by a youth player. Smith seems to have improved the team and the fan base likes him but he's not going to win anything and by all accounts the owner sacks people for fun.

His job selection has been rotten post-Villa.

He'll always be one of my heroes. Made us 5x better immediately, 10 games in a row, etc etc. No coincidence Emery thanked him during that interview. He knows the fine work he did here.

0% chance Konsa or Watkins are here without Deano. Others as well but definitely those two. You can probably throw Martinez in as well. Deano brought Cutler in who was the main man saying this is our guy.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 3

I think he'd be great for an England side with so much talent because he'd get them in a positive frame of mind and let them play football instead of this rigid defensive borefest that Southgate has going.

There are probably better qualified choices but I think he'd absolutely be able to do the job.

• Like 1

I was worried that we'd thrown away all that he'd done with the appointment of Gerrard. But now it's nice to see his good work laying the foundations for the incredible job Unai has done. 

Our key players are ones he brought to this club. He must feel some pride at that. 

• Like 4

Â