Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Problem I see is look who we have lost against. These are not great teams, wait till we play the Tottenham's, Chelsea's, Man City's, we will soon be in the bottom half. Smith needs to sharpen up, smashed Liverpool, Arsenal, then loss of idea's against Brighton, West Ham. I have always said, good coach but very limited, it ain't changed and don't look like changing anytime soon, our tactics are far to easy to play against.  I doubt we'll beat Wolves, Nuno is far to smart for us.

9 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Villalad accused of wanting Smith out :lol: He has been trolling along those lines ever since he joined, the fact that someone agrees with him should send alarm bells. 

except, I don't believe that.

I agree with him, when I see fit to do so......No one on here has a monopoly on being right.....I agree with what is being said, not who writes it.....that is the way, I have always responded. it might follow that I agree with some more than others, but that is to do with content.

Like me, he wants us to be less benevolent on the defensive side of our game....some of what he says is being misread, which is unfortunate at times.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Now you're getting it :)

.......................move along, there is nothing to see byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.🙄

Edited by TRO

39 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Problem I see is look who we have lost against. These are not great teams, wait till we play the Tottenham's, Chelsea's, Man City's, we will soon be in the bottom half. Smith needs to sharpen up, smashed Liverpool, Arsenal, then loss of idea's against Brighton, West Ham. I have always said, good coach but very limited, it ain't changed and don't look like changing anytime soon, our tactics are far to easy to play against.  I doubt we'll beat Wolves, Nuno is far to smart for us.

2 of the losses were against the teams currently sat 5th and 8th in the table.

Also we didn't lose to Brighton and West Ham due to a lack of ideas. We created enough in each of those games to win 2 games let alone 1. There were other factors for why we lost those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

2 of the losses were against the teams currently sat 5th and 8th in the table.

Also we didn't lose to Brighton and West Ham due to a lack of ideas. We created enough in each of those games to win 2 games let alone 1. There were other factors for why we lost those.

It’s not worth it mate. Some minds are made up on Smith. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Paradoxically, I fancy our chances against the better teams now, than the so called lesser teams.

We have the players, when fit, to hurt anyone.

7 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The stat I used was goals per game so how many games we have played is irrelevant. 

It is easy to just pull stats out to justify an opinion. The only reason I've done that though is because people seem to ignore the context in those games that we conceded very few shots and 9/10 times most of those goals wouldn't have gone in. They're just looking at the goals against stat, so I thought I'd clarify that we're pretty good on this front. 

Obviously it won't be the same the last 5 games. I'm not sure why these are more relevant than the 1st set of games though as we've not played any worse. I'll judge over the season as a whole as that's what the table is based on and for me it's a case of so far, so good with a couple of frustrations. 

I accept your point, but when I watch games I don’t look at stats. I look at how we are set up, how we are playing against the opposition and what are the outcomes. There are always going to be games where we don’t get the award for the effort in front of goal. But currently I see a passive defense not closing down players in our final quarter and no urgency at times to do so. This has been the reason we have lost 4 out of the past 5, it’s not bad luck it’s a trend. It can be fixed through coaching and a bit more leadership in defence, but needs to happen more quickly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I accept your point, but when I watch games I don’t look at stats. I look at how we are set up, how we are playing against the opposition and what are the outcomes. There are always going to be games where we don’t get the award for the effort in front of goal. But currently I see a passive defense not closing down players in our final quarter and no urgency at times to do so. This has been the reason we have lost 4 out of the past 5, it’s not bad luck it’s a trend. It can be fixed through coaching and a bit more leadership in defence, but needs to happen more quickly.

I see precisely the same traits as you.....its bloomin' frustrating.

If I thought it was beyond our capability, I wouldn't say a word and just accept it....but I think its fixable.

No one in the league for me has the mercurial talents of Jack, and wasting his good work, does my head in.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The person he replied too and my favourite poster the lad.  They have never been convinced by Smith and I doubt ever will be. 

I think that is a bit harsh.

I am not sticking up for him, but I don't believe that, I think frustration gets the better of him at times, as it does with me...some fans take defeat easier than others.

I Think Dean presides over some entertaining football, that gives us all joy.....if I am being honest, I would like to see him tighten us up.

The Goal keeper was a good move, but I would like to see more controlled aggression in defence.....we make it too easy at times......I just can't dress that up any other way.

Its not about criticising the whole team and everything it does....its about focusing on issues and dealing with them.

I would hazard a guess, that Liverpool was less than pleased with our route of them, but they went away and corrected it.....that's what you have to do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

A Brian Clough quote :

“Players lose you games, not tactics....There is so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win a game of Dominoes”

just makes you think.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

A Brian Clough quote :

“Players lose you games, not tactics....There is so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win a game of Dominoes”

just makes you think.

Yes, that it's from a bygone era and doesn't apply anymore, if it ever even did.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

A Brian Clough quote :

just makes you think.

Yes sometimes you hear or see something written and think why don’t they go down to the local football club and put their theories into action. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yes, that it's from a bygone era and doesn't apply anymore, if it ever even did.

While it doesnt apply all the time I agree it does with Villa more often than it should.  We make so many silly errors at the back, which is not tactic based but just player error it's crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

While it doesnt apply all the time I agree it does with Villa more often than it should.  We make so many silly errors at the back, which is not tactic based but just player error it's crazy.

I think some of it is tactics, such as having the fullbacks tucked in very narrow which led to goals started from wide positions. Or zonal marking of set pieces which led to 2 goals off the top of my head. Individual errors haven't been as costly, off the top of my head I guess you can say the free kicks that led to Ward-Prowse's goals were individual errors, and Brighton's first goal (even that I'd argue was a result of our tactics of squeezing Brighton up the pitch to disrupt their game).

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think some of it is tactics, such as having the fullbacks tucked in very narrow which led to goals started from wide positions. Or zonal marking of set pieces which led to 2 goals off the top of my head. Individual errors haven't been as costly, off the top of my head I guess you can say the free kicks that led to Ward-Prowse's goals were individual errors, and Brighton's first goal (even that I'd argue was a result of our tactics of squeezing Brighton up the pitch to disrupt their game).

I think WestHam goals both at the start of each half play, pretty much were individual errors that could of been avoided and because players were switched off we should of learnt from the first goal which we did all over again.

We can be pretty ridiculous at times which costs us wins or draws.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Dont get me wrong I do believe we also have tactical errors (and I definitely agree about the tucked in fullbacks issue) but as Dave-R above mentions I think we have a number of individual mistakes and IMO more so than other teams at the moment.  I think that is because the players are still learning each other and many have played much at this level. 

Having the tactical and individual errors is a big issue at the moment and despite 4 clean sheets out of 9 and a top half of the table equivalent goals conceded record, we all know our defence needs a lot of work. 

Part of me thinks we just dont have a leader there.  Mings is prone to mistakes and while I love him i hate when he tries his Cruyff turns when he is expose.  Konsa is young and new to the league, Cash is new.  Emi has been around for a bit but as back up and Targett I really struggle with defensively.  There is no leader there and experience doesnt mean everything but sometimes I wish we had an experienced defender in there sometimes.

• Like 3

Â