Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Dave-R said:

It's all about the pen..

So the pen you thought wasn't a pen, was the first pen, which wasn't the pen, which was the pen we missed, but we should of scored from the pen, then the pen after that first pen which should of been a pen but VAR didn't give the pen, totally screwed us out of the pen where everyone's going bonkers over which pen was a pen and which pen wasn't a pen.

Cant wait for the Newcastle game, hopefully we get a win so things are less penalty crackers around here, its harsh on us but nothing we can do about it now.

We probably would have missed the second pen. Was just that kind of day.

• Like 1

So I've just gone back and looked at the stats for our 4 defeats and we've conceded 11 goals from 18 shots on target. Take out the Leeds game (where we conceded 3 goals from 9 shots) and that's 8 goals from 9 shots on target, which is absolutely ridiculous.

By comparison, we had 24 shots on target from those games and scored 5.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

So I've just gone back and looked at the stats for our 4 defeats and we've conceded 11 goals from 18 shots on target. Take out the Leeds game (where we conceded 3 goals from 9 shots) and that's 8 goals from 9 shots on target, which is absolutely ridiculous.

By comparison, we had 24 shots on target from those games and scored 5.

Yes, by and large we've deserved something from almost every game we've played (save for Leeds) - we're on the right track. Cut out the mistakes and we'll be winning a hell of a lot more than we lose.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yes, by and large we've deserved something from almost every game we've played (save for Leeds) - we're on the right track. Cut out the mistakes and we'll be winning a hell of a lot more than we lose.

And put our chances away. In most match or pre match threads I say we need to blitz the first 15 minutes or so. Win the game and relax however I have noticed a drop in intensity of late in both boxes. That killer instinct needs to come back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Looks like to me that we can beat the best but lose to the rest,you know what that means ?

We are in relegation trouble.If we are only going to win 10 games this season and lose the other 14 we are in big trouble.

Zach Galifianakis Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I dont understand Trent what is so difficult to grasp about your posts. Defending in the last 4 games is worse than at the start. Its a simple statement

At the start, when we played *checks notes* 2 of the worst teams in the league? Maybe our defending hasn't changed, and we're just getting punished by better teams?

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'll be amazed if we continue playing like this and picking up low points. 

I'm not worried in the slightest. Why pick 15th? We are 9 pts clear of relegation with a game in hand. 

Problem is if you are a team that concedes goals but score them - that doesn't usually go on for long. The conceding of goals tends to demoralize the rest of the team - sooner or later the goals for starts to dry up.

Another point is should we go 2-up in a game the other team knows they aren't out of it. 

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Looks like to me that we can beat the best but lose to the rest,you know what that means ?

We are in relegation trouble.If we are only going to win 10 games this season and lose the other 14 we are in big trouble.

We've beaten beaten 2 top 5 teams but also Sheff U, Fulham and Arsenal. None of them will be in the top 5. We've won more than we've lost and that looks like continuing based on our underlying stats and performances.

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Problem is if you are a team that concedes goals but score them - that doesn't usually go on for long. The conceding of goals tends to demoralize the rest of the team - sooner or later the goals for starts to dry up.

Another point is should we go 2-up in a game the other team knows they aren't out of it. 

Only 6 teams in the league have conceded less goals than us  

I'm not sure its the issue some are making it out to be. As @Mantispointed out, it seems a bit of a freak occurrence at the moment. I don't think it will be like this all year. 

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think it will be like this all year. 

We are conceding 2.2 goals per game judging by the last 5 games...

Something needs to change. Adjustments needs to be made.

We need to revert back to man to man marking during set pieces. Zonal marking just isn't working for us.

Edited by villalad21

This is eventually going to sort itself out. Keep playing like this and we'll start seeing the results to match the performances. 

It's like when we were in the Championship and we were playing poorly but still getting results. A lot of people were worried that it would catch up to us and we'd miss out on promotion, and indeed that's what happened.

In other words, I'd rather be playing well and not getting results than the opposite. It means we'll need to tweak a couple of things and cut out silly individual mistakes to make it work, but it won't need a systemic overhaul.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Only 6 teams in the league have conceded less goals than us  

I'm not sure its the issue some are making it out to be. As @Mantispointed out, it seems a bit of a freak occurrence at the moment. I don't think it will be like this all year. 

If it is we are in trouble......only because the earlier games with clean sheets have distorted that from the current form, we are in.

On current form we are 18th in the league......we are dining out on our Early season form, in terms of league placing.....In my humble opinion, The Leeds game set this up where we were outplayed and failed to compete with their running. I think confidence has dipped as a result.

If its a freak occurence, I will be delighted and can sleep at night.

Me, I'm still trying to work out what is our true form, the first 4 or the last 5.

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

yeah, we have just had 4 of 'em, in close succession.

Yeah i understand what you're saying buddy and i agree. It's no fluke.

We can't defend simple crosses or corners. The zonal marking isn't working and the coaching staff need to do something.

We can't keep conceding easy and preventable goals.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

If it is we are in trouble......only because the earlier games with clean sheets have distorted that from the current form, we are in.

On current form we are 18th in the league......we are dining out on our Early season form, in terms of league placing.....In my humble opinion, The Leeds game set this up where we were outplayed and failed to compete with their running. I think confidence has dipped as a result.

If its a freak occurence, I will be delighted and can sleep at night.

Me, I'm still trying to work out what is our true form, the first 4 or the last 5.

Lose games and we go down in the form table. Who'd have thought it. 

Against Brighton and West Ham both teams scored basically their only two chances and we had a huge variety of missed sitters, a missed penalty, a bullshit disallowed goal and a last minute penalty taken away. 

I was pretty pissed off at the end of the game, but coming on here doesn't half give some perspective. 

9 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Lose games and we go down in the form table. Who'd have thought it. 

Against Brighton and West Ham both teams scored basically their only two chances and we had a huge variety of missed sitters, a missed penalty, a bullshit disallowed goal and a last minute penalty taken away. 

I was pretty pissed off at the end of the game, but coming on here doesn't half give some perspective. 

I said " If it continues"......keep up.

The chances you conveniently dismiss are school boy errors, pretty nifty, they didn't have anymore, else the diologue could be much different.....the last bit pretty much sums up the whole game......sloppy.

What was you expecting, to watch a game where we could have won twice, parks defending, squandered penalties.......and bagful of posters to telling you not to be pissed of, it was great.

I think a bit of reality needs to be employed on here.

We started off the season really, really well, played some great football and dug in against Sheff Utd......Leeds derailed us with their running and we need some big conkers in the players and coaches to get us back on track......when you see how Fulham have dug deep and come back fighting......thats what we need to do.....not telling each other how wonderful we are.....Its West Ham that have the bubbles to stick up their ****

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

The chances you conveniently dismiss are school boy errors

Are we learning? Is Smith learning.

I see the same mistakes from last season. I thought we had turned a corner post lockdown.

I'm happy with the point total as it's still a decent return. But i'm concerned about starting seeing the pre lockdown Villa slowly creeping in.

So Wolves is up next.. us going gung ho and Wolves countering us to pieces is what i am expecting. Please surprise me Dean.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This is eventually going to sort itself out. Keep playing like this and we'll start seeing the results to match the performances. 

It's like when we were in the Championship and we were playing poorly but still getting results. A lot of people were worried that it would catch up to us and we'd miss out on promotion, and indeed that's what happened.

In other words, I'd rather be playing well and not getting results than the opposite. It means we'll need to tweak a couple of things and cut out silly individual mistakes to make it work, but it won't need a systemic overhaul.

I get what you are saying, and it’s fine to think it, but for me, I find it highly frustrating... 

We aren’t playing well. If we were playing well we wouldn’t be making the mistakes that are leading to goals, and failing to put the ball in the net at the other end. We’re losing for a reason. 

Id rather we were picking up points over anything else. Points are what matters. We can change the way we play as we go on by the players that we recruit or promote to the first team. 

Â