Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2nd in the table for clean sheets, 3rd for Big Chances Missed

the same couple of doom and gloom merchants return as always with the same rubbish

It's as if the last 10 years didn't happen. This is the best we've been since 2010 and we're still improving.

• Like 3

So I've just skimmed the last 10 pages and I think we've concluded that our defence isn't as good now as it was when we had the best defence in the league for 4 games, if we completely ignore every stat and don't watch any matches and concentrate soley on results we're more likely to go down than we were a month ago, and if every single shot we concede continues to result in a goal while our attackers consistently miss open goals we'll be in trouble this season, got it 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, weedman said:

So I've just skimmed the last 10 pages and I think we've concluded that our defence isn't as good now as it was when we had the best defence in the league for 4 games, if we completely ignore every stat and don't watch any matches and concentrate soley on results we're more likely to go down than we were a month ago, and if every single shot we concede continues to result in a goal while our attackers consistently miss open goals we'll be in trouble this season, got it 

It's the classic tale of the small sample size. Our first 4 games:

1. Sheffield United with a man sent off in the first half. They didn't even try to attack and tried to nick a 0-0 draw.
  2. Fulham who were at the time the worst team in the league. Couldn't hit a barn door and this was before deadline day where they signed key players like Lookman.
  3. Liverpool. Freak result. Still conceded 2 goals.
  4. Leicester. A game destined for a draw with a stoppage time winner.

Really of those 4, Leicester is the only one you can say we really defended well in. The others were a canter really. Even in those games we made mistakes, but they just weren't punished because the teams were so poor, such as the penalty saved by Martinez against Sheffield United, and the goal that was ruled offside against Fulham after Martinez spilled the shot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This is eventually going to sort itself out. Keep playing like this and we'll start seeing the results to match the performances. 

It's like when we were in the Championship and we were playing poorly but still getting results. A lot of people were worried that it would catch up to us and we'd miss out on promotion, and indeed that's what happened.

In other words, I'd rather be playing well and not getting results than the opposite. It means we'll need to tweak a couple of things and cut out silly individual mistakes to make it work, but it won't need a systemic overhaul.

Yes quite right. I'm still very positive about the season because we are playing well and creating chances and when Barkley is back we will be more potent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

2nd in the table for clean sheets, 3rd for Big Chances Missed

And probably top 4 for idiot fans. 

58 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's as if the last 10 years didn't happen. This is the best we've been since 2010 and we're still improving.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I honestly am surprised so many are like it. I really thought we were past that point now. 

We've won one in five, lost four winnable games and conceded eleven goals in those four games.

Just as much as some get accused of being negative towards Smith no matter what he does, it seems by the same token others make out everything is fine no matter what.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I honestly am surprised so many are like it. I really thought we were past that point now. 

This time 2 years ago, we started with 15 points from 12 games in the *checks notes*, EFL Championship.

I'm personally thrilled that we're currently among the better teams in the Premier League in the short time since, bad recent form and all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, useless said:

We've won one in five, lost four winnable games and conceded eleven goals in those four games.

We also have an 8-2 aggregate score against 2 of the top 4.

Why take a subjective view when we can moan about bollocks eh?

Edited by av1

People are allowed to point out we're on a bad run, it doesn't mean to say that they're displeased with out position in the bigger picture. Sometimes it seems like people are in some sort of cult where you can't say anything negative at all in case it reflects badly on Smith.

Just now, useless said:

Everton fans aren't 'bricking' it because their team didn't barely scrape survival last season, comparing us to them shows how deluded some of our fans are.

Deluded about what, that we aren't a relegation candidate?

They aren't bricking it because they've been in similar positions more times than they can count. It's the life of a midtable side. Little streaky runs of good and bad which even out over a season to the middle of the road.

Our run at the start of the season didn't mean we were going to win the league, just as this current run doesn't mean we'll be relegated or even in threat of relegation. We'll likely be somewhere in between.

24 minutes ago, useless said:

Just as much as some get accused of being negative towards Smith no matter what he does, it seems by the same token others make out everything is fine no matter what.

There's a difference between saying everything is fine and focusing on some really promising performances. If we keep playing as we are we'll win more than we lose.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

People are allowed to point out we're on a bad run, it doesn't mean to say that they're displeased with out position in the bigger picture. Sometimes it seems like people are in some sort of cult where you can't say anything negative at all in case it reflects badly on Smith.

I do find it a little strange. Trent I thought made a valid point last nght about our defence not being as sound as it was but then got jumped on. 

I like Dean, want him to be our manager but also feel it's OK to point out issues in our game when I see it.

The squad is young, still trying to gel and needs improving and most importantly needs our support. It absolutely does not mean I want him out.

Why is it OK to criticise, Conor, Mings, Target, Trez or SJM but not Dean?.

Everton fans have much less of a reason to be concerned about relegation than we do, their team was comfortable last season whilst our wasn't, that's why it doesn't make sense to ask whether Everton fans are worried or not, of course they're not going to be as worried about relegation as much as Villa fans, they didn't finish with one of the worst point totals in the history of the premier league for a team finising in 17th place last season, they're much more proven in this league than we are.

Saying that we shouldn't worry about relegation because Everton fans aren't worried about relegation really is misguided, it's like saying we shouldn't be worried about not qualifying for the champions league because Man City fans aren't worrying about not qualifying for the champions league.

Current form doesn't mean we will be relegated, but it's reasonable for fans to be concerned, that doesn't mean that they're pasquinading  DS, just pointing out that things need to improve.

Edited by useless

Â