Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We played really well tonight.

Impressed how we cut through an inform team endlessly and without Barkley. Just hope we have enough left in the tank for Newcastle as we do need to win that as don't fancy us v Wolves who'll probably do a similar job on us as West Ham did tonight.

Only criticism is he can't have gone at them enough at half time as conceding right after the restart was a joke given it happened at the start of the game. Players simply weren't switched on given Ollie and Benrahma were having a catch up just before the kick off.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm not seeing progress, I'm seeing regression back to sloppy play and naive tactics and defending.

We should have won this but we won't win games while we defend like a **** pub side, absolutely sick of it.

VAR - and the missed pen will take all the headlines - but the last two games have been a woeful return - FFS grealish is one of the top 4 players in the prem right now  - this is the best villa squad for around 12 years - there can be no excuses for 0 points v Brighton and West Ham.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

And people not seeing the regression in the areas I've just mentioned are choosing not too.

I agree with the defense, we concede the same goals every week, mismatches at set pieces and the full backs tucking in too narrow

The worry with the defence is that you can argue that the pieces are in place already, whereas we might buy better than trez and Hourihane I doubt they even looking that much at replacing any of the back 4

But I disagree that we aren't progressing, we are a better footballing team this year, passing it better, creating more, playing with more confidence 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There is clearly progress. 

We have dominated the last two games, absolutely dominated. We didn't do that last year.

Trez has missed a sitter, we've missed a pen and a knee cap offside. 

People who don't see progress are choosing not to. 

We are still sloppy at the back, Smiths standard, give away poor goals, miss sitters, start games too slow. You want me to go on??

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That might be the most frustrating game in years. 

More frustrating defeat than Palace, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs combined from last season that!

It's frustrating as we do have a decent first 11 now (if not squad). We can do something decent this season if we don't panic after defeats like tonight. The response was excellent from last week's defeat just like it was v Arsenal after losing the two home games, difference is we were ultra clincal at Arsenal and simply not tonight.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

VAR - and the missed pen will take all the headlines - but the last two games have been a woeful return - FFS grealish is one of the top 4 players in the prem right now  - this is the best villa squad for around 12 years - there can be no excuses for 0 points v Brighton and West Ham.

There are excuses though. 

Trez has missed sitters. We've missed a pen. VAR  has screwed us in the last two games. 

Can’t blame smith for tonight we dominated that game but defensive mistakes again cost us, pen missed, sitter from Trezeguet and that VAR decision, only criticism from me would be hourihane playing as I know Barkley is injured but after seeing his performance tonight I’d hope Dean would see that and drop him for Fridays game

Edited by rbcuk
  • Like 2

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

We're still 10th. That's higher than we finished last year and thankfully they aren't just deciding the league on the last 5 games.

We also would won easily today if a few players hadn't bottled it.

we havent finished in the top 10 in the top flight since 2010/11 which we only did on the last game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

Can’t blame smith for tonight we dominated that game but defensive mistakes again cost us, pen missed and that VAR decision, only criticism from me would be hourihane playing as I know Barkley is injured but after seeing his performance tonight I’d hope Dean would see that and drop him for Fridays game

Give Ramsey a chance against Toon, they're dogshit

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah reminds me of Sheffield united, an look where they are.

If we want to move on we need a manager with a name. I really think Smith has took us as far as he can.

I can’t blame any of tonight on Dean.  Watkins literally missed a penalty and Trez an almost open goal to say nothing of the control of the game that we had. Sloppy conceded goals in the first minute of each half is surreal.  

Leeds really are the only team that have beaten us.  Southampton had two wonder goals and basically scored every time they had a chance and I don’t know how Brighton beat us.  You can argue it’s Deans fault but I’m not sure what else he could’ve done, the game was ours tonight.  We controlled it and despite the sloppy goals we had enough to win the game but the players didn’t take the easy chances on a plate.  It’s baffling, maybe we just need a little luck because we are the better team in these games.

Â