Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think what today showed is what I guess Dean already knows and that is that if we can get our first 11 on the pitch, all on form, then we are a match for anyone but when we get a number of players with fatigue, injuries or loss of form then we don't have the quality in the squad to make changes.

Too many players today were off the pace and that was almost certainly due to a number of them having played 2 or 3 international games in the last 9 days. We were then unfortunate to lose one of those that hadn't to injury after 3 minutes.

Trouble is though Dean really couldn't rest even two or three players. You take out Mings who do you bring in? you take out Luiz and/or McGinn you bring in Connor and/or Nakamba and have a pretty big drop off in quality. Take out Jack and well there is no one getting close to replacing him. 

There was no striker on the beach today as I assume Davis was injured. It shouldn't be the case though that one player being injured means we have zero striker options on bench but that is the price you pay for going into a season with only two fit strikers.

Fair play to Dean and others at the club as they have built a very decent first 11. Beyond that though there is still much work to do as today showed. We are heading in the right direction though and have come a long way in a short space of time.

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s much Dean did wrong today - we were making silly individual mistakes all over the shop. 

The one thing I would’ve liked to have seen, though, were some bodies in the box at the end. We had everyone showing for the ball outside the box and absolutely zero penetration (Kenneth). It was way too easy for Brighton when it shouldn’t have been. Is Davis injured? Could we not have chucked Mings up there for a bit?

43 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

With the exception of Leeds and 15 minutes against Southampton we have been better than everyone we have played today included. How effing hell did march score that. I'm surprised Welbeck didn't pull a hamstring during his run. 

yet we've lost 3 out of 4 and 3 in a row at home. We're in a good position, but there should be some questions about this and the last 2 home losses. It's not good enough. 

Desperately need better quality on the bench, but we also need Deano to show faith to his squad.

Anyone and everyone knew our players had a huge fitness issue after International matches. Not starting Hourihane was absolute criminal management. Both Luiz and McGinn lost us that match today.

45 minutes ago, useless said:

If he keeps us up and wins us the FA Cup then it will be a good season.

that would be an absolutely incredible season. But... we won't win the FA Cup playing so pathetically at home as we have been. Stoke, Brighton, Leeds & Southampton have all come here and won (most quite convincingly). It's not good enough and we should expect more. They could have scored 4 or 5 today, the defending was once again attrocious. 

7 minutes ago, commander said:

yet we've lost 3 out of 4 and 3 in a row at home. We're in a good position, but there should be some questions about this and the last 2 home losses. It's not good enough. 

Southampton scored 4 worldies and today Mings and Konsa went wallies for the first goal. The question that needs to be asked is why are we missing game winning chances. We need to get more ruthless. At both ends.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I don't get why it's necesarry to bomb everyone forward against Brighton.

We have better forward players than them and they will normally win you the game. To me it was just unnecesarry risk football when there is no need to.

True, it was obvious we had more quality than them we came to the match wanting to thump them but it backfired a bit if the missed opportunities and penalty would have gone our way we would be having a different conversation

Starting to worry a little for Smith again. Although I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt most of the team were knackered from the internationals. We seem very one dimensional at times. With Barkley taken off early on, we then seemed to have no idea what we were supposed to be doing, so just all went high line hoping to score more then them, didn't work though.

Alot of the time, we just look much to easy to play against.

will be interesting to see how the season develops.

I think its clear how to beat us (or at least make life very hard for us) and some teams seem to have figured it out already. (or smaller teams that arent programmed to attack and expect to roll us over)

If teams come on to us we are deadly on the counter, Arsenal, Leicester & Liverpool saw that, where if teams sit back a bit, press and harry, get in our faces, we arent so good at breaking them down, and in that scenario we are prone to being hit on the break ourselves.

when we are on the front foot we seemed to get opened up easier, its almost like McGinn and Luiz dont have the discipline to cover at times?, where we look deadly as counter punchers.

should be an interesting season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Starting to worry a little for Smith again. Although I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt most of the team were knackered from the internationals. We seem very one dimensional at times. With Barkley taken off early on, we then seemed to have no idea what we were supposed to be doing, so just all went high line hoping to score more then them, didn't work though.

Alot of the time, we just look much to easy to play against.

I wonder if the Brighton players think that Villa were easy to play against today... 

I wish Smith would have said f**k it, rested Douglas for Nakamba, McGinn for Hourihane and Grealish for Traore just so we could actually see it all in action.

.. Oh wait we did that against Bristol City back in September and we lost 3-0.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 3

We were really good first half. We're starting to approach that level we were at in the Championship under Deano. There was a period then where we struggled to close out games as well, but then it all clicked together gloriously. We're so good to watch now. 

• Like 2

Wow, the extremes of fans. After Arsenal he was a hero, now fans are worried about him. 

I understand criticism of him when it’s deserved but today the one thing we were guilty of was not taking our chances.  He can’t control that.

Im not buying he should have played Nakamba and Hourihane. They are just not good enough and any fan that isn’t always trying to find something to moan about would admit that too.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

On today... Big overreactions from parts of the fanbase again. We were instantly disrupted with Barkley going off. Traore was fine. Jack had a very rare off day, McGinn and Mings very sloppy. Yet we still dominated the stats and chances and were robbed of a deserved point. Just one of those days. Maybe Conor should have been the one to replace Barkley but Traore is another who needs a chance, signed for big money and did well I thought.

We have exciting football games week in week out. No one can dispute that. What an entertaining season we’ve had so far. We arent going to win them all. Far cry from the last 10 years of dross under absolute sausages as managers. Dean Smith’s Claret & Blue Army is the one we can all get behind 💯

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I wish Smith would have said f**k it, rested Douglas for Nakamba, McGinn for Hourihane and Grealish for Traore just so we could actually see it all in action.

.. Oh wait we did that against Bristol City back in September and we lost 3-0.

Imagine the uproar if Dean had rested just 2 of them and then lost by the same scoreline. 

Only the elite teams can dominate all phases of play. We generated more than enough chances they just fell to the wrong guys (Trez like 5 times). As long as we keep generating quality chances we will be in every game. Until those chances start drying up I'm not worried. 

• Like 2

Â