Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I don't know where people get the idea from that Arsenal will suit us more.

Last time i watched them was against United and they pressed them hard all game. Didn't give them a second to breathe. United couldn't get out of their half for most of the game.

I think it will be another incredibly tough challenge for Smith. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Last time i watched them was against United and they pressed them hard all game. Didn't give them a second to breathe. United couldn't get out of their half for most of the game.

We'll at least get to see if he's learned any lessons from the last two games.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

We've been through this before. Towards the end of last season you stated your mind was made up concerning whether Dean Smith was the manager we needed. Those were your words take some responsibility for them or are you going to deny you said any such thing? 

opinions are not set in tablets of stone......My mind is made up, I want him as our manager, last season pre lockdown, I had grave doubts, I will concede that.....I take responsibilty for everything ,I say......and when I think I am wrong, I will say that too.

What we have been through before Sheepy, is my refusal to see the world through rose tinted glasses and praise and criticise, when their is a need......not just as a single dimensional comment on the team we all love......its a wonder you have not questioned my Loyalty, such is your blind faith.

why ,when we are debating results.....you drift in to talking about the continuation of Dean Smith as manager....all managers make mistakes....I don't know what your obsession is with treating every question asked about our results, as an attack on the manager.

We clearly discuss the games and no mention of Dean Smith and you stealthly, bring it back to him.....and camouflage it as a personal attack.

I don't get it......

I do get you loathe any form of questioning towards our team and subsequently manipulate such towards the manager.... I like Dean Smith too, like you, but he is not a protected species.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The game right at the end of the season perhaps? 3 days before that Arsenal have won 2-0 v Man. City in the cup.

Leicester also went to Arsenal the other week and won 1-0 after losing to us and West Ham.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The game right at the end of the season perhaps? 3 days before that Arsenal have won 2-0 v Man. City in the cup.

Leicester also went to Arsenal the other week and won 1-0 after losing to us and West Ham.

I'm not talking about whether we can win or not.

It seems that some people think Arsenal will sit back more and let us play. Based on what i saw from the Man U game they won't be much different from Leeds and Southampton.

Just now, TRO said:

opinions are not set in tablets of stone......My mind is made up, I want him as our manager.....I take responsibilty for everything ,I say......and when I think I am wrong, I will say that too.

What we have been through before Sheepy, is my refusal to see the world through rose tinted glasses and praise and criticise, when their is a need......not just as a single dimension comment on the team we all love......its a wonder you have not questioned my Loyalty, such is your blind faith.

why ,when we are debating results.....you drift in to talking about the continuation of Dean Smith as manager....all managers make mistakes....I don't know what your obsession is with treating every question asked about our results, as an attack on the manager.

We clearly discuss the games and no mention of Dean Smith and you stealthly, bring it back to him.....and camouflage it as a persoanl attack.

I don't get it......

I do get you loathe any form of questioning towards our team and subsequently manipulate such towards the manager.... I like Dean Smith too, like you, but he is not a protected species.

5 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

You've talked about things that irk you somewhere tro, well, heres one that irks me.

The patronising arrogance of that comment. 

I was responding to another poster, who made reference to what Irked him, keep up.......why don't you talk about the post I was refering to?, as opposed to vacant absence and more interested in my response. was it that much easier?

I said it was a sensible post.....why did you avoid the comments in it, was it convenient to be more interested in my response to it.

what makes you think I was referring to you?

but if the cap fits wear it.

ps you see many folk say things about our team similar to me.....but you choose to call me out, very selective imo

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It seems that some people think Arsenal will sit back more and let us play. Based on what i saw from the Man U game they won't be much different from Leeds and Southampton.

A lot depends on how badly you think Smith did in the Leeds and Southampton games.

I thought we were better than Leeds in the first half, and just didn't bury our chances. Southampton scored 3 contenders for goal of the month.

I'm not saying Smith deserved 3 points out of either of those games, but I do think the idea that we have struggled against a certain type of setup is a bit premature. We had a lot of this chatter last season - "Smith can't coach a defence", "Smith can't set us up against set pieces", "Smith's teams leave too much space in the middle of the park", etc. and a lot of that stuff shifted towards the end of the season.

Basically Smith has had 3 different Villa teams in each of his seasons here, and it's still pretty hard to work out what his strengths and weaknesses are. Even the question of mid-game subs, where I do tend to think he's weak, is slightly confounded by the fact we don't have loads of options on the bench who he trusts. (In the Championship I thought he used his subs quite well.)

I'm all for people criticising things, but sometimes people just seem to be swinging drastically between "Smith is God, we're going to win the league" and "Smith is shit, it's another relegation battle" from week to week without any sense of perspective.

Arsenal will be a tough game. Bookies have Arsenal favourites. I think we have a decent chance, though.

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

A lot depends on how badly you think Smith did in the Leeds and Southampton games.

I thought we were better than Leeds in the first half, and just didn't bury our chances. Southampton scored 3 contenders for goal of the month.

I'm not saying Smith deserved 3 points out of either of those games, but I do think the idea that we have struggled against a certain type of setup is a bit premature. We had a lot of this chatter last season - "Smith can't coach a defence", "Smith can't set us up against set pieces", "Smith's teams leave too much space in the middle of the park", etc. and a lot of that stuff shifted towards the end of the season.

Basically Smith has had 3 different Villa teams in each of his seasons here, and it's still pretty hard to work out what his strengths and weaknesses are. Even the question of mid-game subs, where I do tend to think he's weak, is slightly confounded by the fact we don't have loads of options on the bench who he trusts. (In the Championship I thought he used his subs quite well.)

I'm all for people criticising things, but sometimes people just seem to be swinging drastically between "Smith is God, we're going to win the league" and "Smith is shit, it's another relegation battle" from week to week without any sense of perspective.

Arsenal will be a tough game. Bookies have Arsenal favourites. I think we have a decent chance, though.

But we do. The proof is in the pudding.

We've lost 3/3 against Southampton.

Against Bielsa we've lost 2/3

We have players who can hurt teams who let us play like Newcastle. But when teams are in our faces and do not allow us to breathe we don't have the power or legs in midfield to cope with it.

Just now, villalad21 said:

But we do. The proof is in the pudding.

We've lost 3/3 against Southampton.

Against Bielsa we've lost 2/3

We have players who can hurt teams who let us play like Newcastle. But when teams are in our faces and do not allow us to breathe we don't have the power or legs in midfield to cope with it.

So how does our 7-2 win against Liverpool fit with your theory? Or our win against Arsenal last season?

You're just seeing patterns in the clouds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

So how does our 7-2 win against Liverpool fit with your theory? Or our win against Arsenal last season?

You're just seeing patterns in the clouds.

I thought the Liverpool game was very good. We weren't as open and we were set up on the counter. 

I thought he had learned from the past but then against Leeds he decided to go toe to toe with them.

Smith is so frustrating to me.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I was responding to another poster, who made reference to what Irked him, keep up.......why don't you talk about the post I was refering to?, as opposed to vacant absence and more interested in my response. was it that much easier?

I said it was a sensible post.....why did you avoid the comments in it, was it convenient to be more interested in my response to it.

what makes you think I was referring to you?

but if the cap fits wear it.

ps you see many folk say things about our team similar to me.....but you choose to call me out, very selective imo

I didn't say you were referring to me? The comment made suggests you think it's your way or the highway. You're right and everyone else is wrong. It's hard work and stopping the opposition and if anyone else disagrees then why don't they see it?

Like I made in a post today, I agree that hard work is a good basis. But so much more is needed. Sheffield United losing 7 in 8 is absolute testament to that this season. The best teams work hard but then have the attacking ability in the correct balance. We, like most other teams outside the top few, are trying to find that right balance. Hard work only gets you so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Honestly don't think they'll press as much although Partey is good player who'll add more physicality there. Thought Xhaka and Ceballos were very static as a combination in both games last season although seens neither will start tonight with Eleney playing last week at Man. United

2 hours ago, TRO said:

opinions are not set in tablets of stone......My mind is made up, I want him as our manager, lst season pre lockdown, I had grave doubts, I will concede that.....I take responsibilty for everything ,I say......and when I think I am wrong, I will say that too.

What we have been through before Sheepy, is my refusal to see the world through rose tinted glasses and praise and criticise, when their is a need......not just as a single dimension comment on the team we all love......its a wonder you have not questioned my Loyalty, such is your blind faith.

We clearly discuss the games and no mention of Dean Smith and you stealthly, bring it back to him.....and camouflage it as a persoanl attack.

I don't get it......

What a load of disingenuous hog - wash. It's almost like you're taking the gypsy. 

As i said before you never wanted Smith as manager and I think your constant criticism of him illustrates that. 

What happened to him being too nice and too soft with the players? Why isn't he animated on the touchline, you asked. Now you're saying he has your full support. Even though the players aren't trying and lack desire. 

You ain't fooling me, TRO. 

• Like 1

Is 'has he learnt from the past' going to be the new 'he doesn't use his subs'?

I have a feeling some expect a win every game otherwise smith hasn't learnt some valuable lesson. 

**** boring.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Is 'has he learnt from the past' going to be the new 'he doesn't use his subs'?

I have a feeling some expert a win every game otherwise smith hasn't learnt some valuable lesson. 

**** boring.

There's always lessons to be learned, even for the best managers going. It's no major criticism.

4 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

There's always lessons to be learned, even for the best managers going. It's no major criticism.

Agreed. But I can already predict those who will claim he hasn't learnt anything each time we don't win a game.

• Thanks 1

He's played with grealish and trezs positioning in the first half, swapped them around and had them both on the right

Not sure if it's to help cash or to overload their right hand side

Definitely some in game tweaks happening though for those who say he doesn't do any 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Honestly don't think they'll press as much although Partey is good player who'll add more physicality there. Thought Xhaka and Ceballos were very static as a combination in both games last season although seens neither will start tonight with Eleney playing last week at Man. United

Arsenal are light years away from pressing from Leeds imo looking at what they offered in first half.

Ceballos now on for Partey so see if he offers more, better in final third.

Â