Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

McGinn has played way too many games recently and i believe Barkley still had a little knock.

Not playing until Sunday will do us a world of good. I'm just so worried Dean doesn't trust his bench.

Him only bringing on Traore is not good. We need to have a competitive squad and we don't at the moment. 

I know you are probably sick and tired of hearing about him, but in Bielsas system it looks like anyone in his squad can come in and do a job for him and most of his squad is championship quality, so why can't Smith get a tune out of the likes of Nakamba and El Ghazi?

Bielsa is a better coach his team is fit and run through brick walls for him they are very unique, against any other team that off the line clearance from Jack’s shot wouldn’t have happened, and the result could have been different, Not saying Dean is a poor coach either , we where fine in the first half imo, they have serious quality out wide, and a fit aggressive midfield , technically I think our midfield is better and we did cause them Problems running at them the first half, our bench is worrying most managers would not get a tune out of them bar Bielsa I suppose. Disappointed in the way we reacted to going down we panicked and became erratic and started to force things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm saying this as a foreigner so I should step lightly, but I've always heard about how negative and moaning brummies are, and how negative and moaning Villa fans in particular are. I thus wondered having no fans in the ground actually benefits us. 

Every fan base in every sport has their contingent of hyper-critical fans. This isn’t a Villa only thing.

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm trying to think of what Smith could have done to change things up - and I could only think of 1 bold move: Replace Barkley with Nakamba at the 60 minute mark.

Our shape wouldn't change too much, but it would push McGinn forward and stop their midfield running through us. Often in the second half Barkley watched as the opposition either passed or ran past him. He rarely pressed from the front and he wasn't tracking his man. He was playing more like a 10 than an 8, and it wasn't working. 2 more defensive midfielders, McGinn box-to-box and Grealish with more room to roam and who knows?

I don’t think your too far wrong in your thinking in freshening up the squad with 2-3 changes, it was Leeds they are still relatively a Championship squad, having others play for 50-60 minutes sends out a message to the squad.

The other possibility was treating the game like a cup game with the players to get them up. If you noticed that’s how Leeds played it. They and their supporter base have been carrying round a large grudge ever since that notorious game 18 months ago. They’ve been waiting to play us. The only negativity to this is we probably are down for the Southampton game. Will be interesting whether Leeds can get up for their next game.

This is the 2018/19 championship table based on games from the date Smith took charge until the end of the season, in that time he took more points with us than Bielsa took with Leeds, he then went and won the play-offs, again something that Bielsa failed to achieve with Leeds.

This season we have more points than Leeds in less games, and I wouldn't back against us being above them at the end of the season.

Whenever they've been in the same division together, or in the same competition in the case of the play-offs, Smith has outperformed Bielsa.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Would hate us to go 5 at the back again. We could play two holding midfield players but we have 12 points out of 15 so i would stick with what we are doing at the moment. 

Oh I agree...generally.  

This was just horses for courses because Harrison was having a tremendous night and Cash needed support like Reece James and Azpilicueta did earlier against Dan James and Rashford in the ManU/Chelsea game, which worked well.  

I agree generally though about not going to a back 5 again most of the time.  

We do though need to be adaptable when things aren’t going our way.  We can’t have the mentality of not changing sometimes because we aren’t one of the big teams in the league in terms of quality, we need to find weaknesses in our opponents and take advantage.  At the same time try and build a Villa way of playing.  It’s the fine balance of arrogance in sticking to a style that we can grow from Over the coming years to adapting in game when it isn’t working.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm saying this as a foreigner so I should step lightly, but I've always heard about how negative and moaning brummies are, and how negative and moaning Villa fans in particular are. I thus wondered having no fans in the ground actually benefits us. 

They said something similar on BM Claret and Blue podcast a few weeks ago

47 minutes ago, useless said:

This is the 2018/19 championship table based on games from the date Smith took charge until the end of the season, in that time he took more points with us than Bielsa took with Leeds, he then went and won the play-offs, again something that Bielsa failed to achieve with Leeds.

This season we have more points than Leeds in less games, and I wouldn't back against us being above them at the end of the season.

Whenever they've been in the same division together, or in the same competition in the case of the play-offs, Smith has outperformed Bielsa.

Does this include Brentford?

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not true.

If you look at the support we have inside the ground, ie man city last season we are not negative. 

If you go on any forum its negative, its largely the point of forums to let off steam. 

I've never really got the Brummies are negative, it's just really lazy stereotyping, like chirpy cockney and cheekyscousers.

We are no more negative as a city or a team than anyone else. 

• Like 4

It's the championship table based on games since Smith took charge of us, in 34 games in the championship as our manager he took more points than Bielsa did with Leeds over the same period, and then Smith won the play-offs whilst Bielsa didn't. And he's taken more points than him this season in less games.

Not saying that Bielsa is a bad manager, he's obviously done a good job at Leeds, but as our manager Smith has outperformed him up until now, maybe that will change over the course of this saison, but at this stage it's just a fact.

7 hours ago, striker said:

Wolves beat them and kept a clean sheet against Leeds. If that’s a ‘pretty shitty blueprint’ then I’ll take it rather than being totally outplayed and conceding 3.

If you want to look at things with surface level simplicity, fill your boots.

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm trying to think of what Smith could have done to change things up - and I could only think of 1 bold move: Replace Barkley with Nakamba at the 60 minute mark.

Our shape wouldn't change too much, but it would push McGinn forward and stop their midfield running through us. Often in the second half Barkley watched as the opposition either passed or ran past him. He rarely pressed from the front and he wasn't tracking his man. He was playing more like a 10 than an 8, and it wasn't working. 2 more defensive midfielders, McGinn box-to-box and Grealish with more room to roam and who knows?

Elmo could have come on for Trez at half time and slotted in at RB with Cash moving forward, Cash works hard and would have gave Elmo more help defensively that he was getting from Trez. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Not true.

If you look at the support we have inside the ground, ie man city last season we are not negative. 

If you go on any forum its negative, its largely the point of forums to let off steam. 

I've never really got the Brummies are negative, it's just really lazy stereotyping, like chirpy cockney and cheekyscousers.

We are no more negative as a city or a team than anyone else. 

Well I'm not sure about that. From my experience VP turns toxic faster than any other home crowd I've witnessed. 

• Confused 1

I thought the way to stop leeds pushing forward down the right was to punish the space they were leaving. I was surprised to not see grealish swap sides or Watkins play wider. 

It was very comparable to the first half against liverpool where we were constantly over run in the right back position. 

27 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well I'm not sure about that. From my experience VP turns toxic faster than any other home crowd I've witnessed. 

TBF i've not seen it turn toxic under Smith yet.

It did 100 % turn toxic towards the end of Bruce's reign but can you blame them?

9 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Absolutely.

But, let's say he made that change, Bamford scores 3 goals anyway, and Smith gets crucified.

What would have saved us is Grealish scoring that goal, or any player deciding to pull the trigger in the first half where we had numbers in their box.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

I think we will finish above them, but I can’t see us beating them, I hated matches agains them in the championship, think Smith will get it right against them eventually similar to the way he got it right against Sheffield Utd a team we regularly struggled against in the championship and beginning of last season 

11 hours ago, useless said:

But Bielsa sits on a bucket and doesn’t speak English so he must be a genius?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not games like that on a Friday night. The players needed the crowd  for the adrenaline rush if nothing else. 

Â