Dean Smith

Demitri_C

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think today the players let him down, they failed after going a goal down . Lets be honest we have 2 subs to change the game in attack thats Traore and Hourihane the others are not good enough(Davis) or not trusted(El Ghazi)

Big time.

We did look tired from the first 5 mins though.

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can anyone think of a very quick, explosive attacking player who could have stretched the game and made a difference for us tonight? 

troll GIF

Will you stop it, you'll give me a rash.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think today the players let him down, they failed after going a goal down . Lets be honest we have 2 subs to change the game in attack thats Traore and Hourihane the others are not good enough(Davis) or not trusted(El Ghazi)

I agree they let him down. But the coach sometimes has to be brave enough to change it when it’s not working. It’s one for both manager and players to learn from and i’m sure they will 

I know people are sick of hearing this but Bielsa is a pretty unique manager. If his personality or character traits were not as they were he would have managed at the highest level.  Something you have to just accept  Leeds have hit the jackpot with this manager. Good luck to them. 

It doesn’t take anything away from Smith or pretty much any other manager in the league. 

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Tactically tonight, I'd have pushed Watkins on the Ayling to stop those long-range passes, made Trezeguet stay wide right to help Cash and, made McGinn help out wide right should they look like they are overloading us there. 

Leeds beat us down our right side. That needs to be looked at for sure. 

they were beating us on the ball way before the right side took a grip for them, they secured the initiative and then went on to win the game.....there were duels being lost way before the real damage took shape.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think along with the players, Dean and the management should get some stick for not doing more when we could all see so many players having poor games and Leeds seem to be having one of their good games.  I honestly don’t know what that change would be because we were poor all over the pitch.  

Our wings one day outplay the best in TAA, Robertson and Salah and next day fall down to Costa and Harrison.  Bamford had one of those half’s where everything he struck went in the net.  

On the whole though I’m less worried about Leeds as we still could’ve taken the lead ourselves and whose what would’ve happened then.  

I’m now wanting to see Dean and the teams reaction to this, it may turn into a good kick up the back side, that we aren’t that good and we still need to work hard to have a good season.  We need new season Villa next match and not prelockdown Villa.

The harder you work the luckier you get....it kinda played out tonight.....not saying Leeds were lucky, they just out worked us and then built on it.

• Like 4

Looking back at it... on another day we could have been 3-0 up. Grealish chance denied on line, very clear penalty shout, and that Grealish solo run.

Where I was disappointed was with the lack of reaction to the changing dynamic of the game. Both from Smith and from the players. I thought we lost the plot a bit.

Plenty to think about. Bad day in the office rather than a major disaster. Hope we can get back to winning ways ASAP.

• Like 2

Reading a lot about how we didn’t get our tactics right, Smith should have done this or that. It’s a mute argument if the team isn’t emotionally up for the game. It’s happened to nearly every PL team this season in COVID with no crowds, that teams are just having an off day. Having teams emotionally ready to play week in week out with no crowds is very hard to achieve artificially, game day, the opposition and the crowds play a huge part is this response. If you don’t get it right, you look lethargic, slow to the ball, poor decision making etc etc.

We had that day today and when that happens it doesn’t matter whether your tactics are right or spot on, your going to get towelled up.

The Villa team that beat Liverpool and Leicester doesn’t get beat by Leeds today.

Let’s get ready for Southampton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Pep didnt manage in England the same season Ranieri won the league,

the truth is that Smith has outmanaged Bielsa since he came to England

Fair play, but you get the point, exchange Ranieri for any of the traditional and respected "BIG" managers at the top clubs they beat out to win the League that season.

Trying to downplay Bielsas pedigree given the circumstances is farcical IMO.

Too many variables at the respective clubs. Do you rate OGS over Dyche, for example?

The wankfest annoys me as well, and I've been very vocal about it. However trying to downplay his pedigree , what he has done with that Leeds side, and how he has them performing is just not on. IMO

There are different ways to skin a cat, bigging up one, doesn't have to mean slating the other.

My biggest gripe with Deano is his lack of proactivity at times and apprehension to be brave with subs, doesn't mean I think he is a bad manager, it's just a flaw.

Whereas I'm pretty sure Bielsa might also have flaws which Leeds fans would obviously.know more than us about. The one thing they all say though, is that he never gets less than 100 percent out of them.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

All 26 players in our squad have a competent level of footballing ability and need to be coached-up to play a role in the team. You can't just be reliant on 12 players.  This is just a small criticism of Smith across seasons, not just last night.  Don't get me wrong - overall thrilled to have Smith as our coach and feel we will have a very good run this season.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Was never a penalty and if same was given against us I'd be filthy

I thought it was a pen but the red didn’t and therefore VAR can’t do anything about it as it has to be a large error on the refs part for them to do so, which it wasn’t.

• Like 1

Lets be honest here, Bamford had a miracle night. That said and I hate to say it, this reminded me of last year when Deano couldn't see the problems and fixes mid game.

What could we have done, they took Jack out of it a lot for me so switching him over to the right may have slowed them down that side a bit but Targett would need help as he looked like he had lead in his boots to me, especially for their 3rd. 

Maybe switch Trez for Engels and go 352 Mings Engels Konza, then Cash and Mcginn may or may not have smothered them and opened them up and Jack and Ollie up top.

It's a lesson in that when its right we are amazing but when not we need move quicker with changes.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Back to reality for us all - was going to happen sooner or later. 

My mandate for this season was not to be in a relegation battle, so he's doing fine still, obviously.

This all day.

2nd in the league after 5 games is absolutely fine with me.

8 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Disagree on this, we clearly have a slower more methodical approach to the game. We were getting into the game and started countering well before the break. However, they came out of the break the way they started the game. It’s nothing to do with arrogance. It was a lack of reacting to the situation by the players and the manager.

When you are showing less effort and lose the match because of it, subs aren't the issue. We weren't tired. We were just second best. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

When you are showing less effort and lose the match because of it, subs aren't the issue. We weren't tired. We were just second best. 

Not sure you read my post right. I was disagreeing with your comment “they thought they were the biz after 4 games.“ 

38 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Not sure you read my post right. I was disagreeing with your comment “they thought they were the biz after 4 games.“ 

Fair enough. I was tired and in desperate need of a post sex wee. 

I think personally it was very clear we looked to believe our own hype. We didn't take the physical challenges like Leeds did. We fannied about thinking we'd just walk in the goals. We didn't run around like Leeds did, we didn't show anything like their effort. We started sulking when we went down 1-0, and didn't show heart at all. 

I'd say Leeds were the best team by far, irrespective of the goals and goal line clearance etc. They just looked up for it. We didn't. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

The harder you work the luckier you get....it kinda played out tonight.....not saying Leeds were lucky, they just out worked us and then built on it.

Deano said in his pre-match press conference that Leeds are the fittest team in the league and we'd have to work hard to match them - we didn't.

I remember one particular attack down their left where a player had the ball and was looking to take on Cash. Another player was bombing forward to support him and McGinn just casually strolled back in a straight line and not doing anything to thwart the danger of the runner. 

I wonder if those international games took their toll on McGinn? He looked off the pace of that game. Maybe Nakamba should have got a game.

It's a wake-up call for us. We played well in parts and at half time I fancied us to come out and repeat the first half but be more clinical in front of goal. It happened the other was around. 

• Like 3

Â