Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, onmeedson said:

I hope Dean noticed the hunger of the leeds  players and the work rate that goe's with it, most of our team dreamed that Bielsa would let us walk another goal in. Freebie's are to be paid for.

I thought we were easily the better team against leeds

36 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think to get to the next level (which is Wolves/Leicester standard) we have to have a mix of good players and a good system. To be honest I still don’t know what Dean Smith’s style of player actually is. I think we have a number of good players now but are still being outdone tactically. Leeds are an anomaly in that they have a great system full of runners and ball players but hardly any individuals who you think wow when you see them. That’s why Bielsa is a great manager. 

I still think we’ll be fine this season and do much better than last. But Friday was a big wake up call for sure and a reminder not to get ahead of ourselves.

We’ve just won 4 out the first 5 games. We turned Leicester over the week before. Hammered the champions the week before that. I don’t know what you mean by ‘Dean Smith’s style of player’

I think everyone needs to chill out, it was one performance that was poor for 30 mins or so. We capitulated after going a goal down. Lost our head and became very emotional. A hangover from that championship Elland Rd game I reckon. Epitomised by Mings. Let’s see where we are after 10/15 games worth of performances shall we.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

We’ve just won 4 out the first 5 games. We turned Leicester over the week before. Hammered the champions the week before that. I don’t know what you mean by ‘Dean Smith’s style of player’

I think everyone needs to chill out, it was one performance that was poor for 30 mins or so. We capitulated after going a goal down. Lost our head and became very emotional. A hangover from that championship Elland Rd game I reckon. Epitomised by Mings. Let’s see where we are after 10/15 games worth of performances shall we.

It was always going to happen. The first loss was always going to bring out the critics. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Dean Smith got his team promoted within 10 months, it took Biesla 2 years. 

Smith kept his team up first try. Whilst it looks likely, Biesla is yet to do it. 

Dean Smith has his team 2 pts above Biesla with a game in hand. 

Just a reminder 

Dean Smith set a club record winning streak and has taken us to Wembley in consecutive seasons.... Just saying 😊

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

The more I think about the game, the more I wonder if they panicked about losing their 100% record. That’s a big thing to give up. Lost shape and creativity trying to just hoof it to grab a goal and Leeds took advantage. That’s just naivety from a young and still forming and evolving side. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If you want to look at things with surface level simplicity, fill your boots.

No matter how you look at it it doesn’t change the result.

15 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

We’ll finish ahead of Leeds. They can’t keep that level of energy up all season.

I agree with all you have said but not sure about finishing above Leeds, we obviously stand a good chance but I wouldn't measure our season on this and wouldn't want to. Leeds are just a team 110 miles up the road to me, nothing else, they are good to watch and show no respect for reputations which is a lesson to us and one that marks them apart from the normal status quo. Now let's move on .

Our next game is always the most important one, we should learn from the past. This is what Smith has got to do with the players, forget the last game and build on what we have.

3 points against Southampton , or a good performance and no loss and the team should start to build again. This is the sign of where we are as a team. How we start against Southampton will start to define us, if we go a goal down then it's how we react to that. 

Great teams react to adversity in a positive way, they see it as a challenge to overcome, not an excuse to wallow (as some fans do ) and underperform. 

Southampton. .....here we come , 100% committed and with a point to prove . UTV 

Just rewatched the highlights of the match, and at LEAST 2 of those 3 Bamford goals were preventable if I'm honest.

He was afforded all the time in the world to set him self and pick his spots.

With our defenders chilling right beside/ in front of him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Dean Smith got his team promoted within 10 months, it took Biesla 2 years. 

Smith kept his team up first try. Whilst it looks likely, Biesla is yet to do it. 

Dean Smith has his team 2 pts above Biesla with a game in hand. 

Just a reminder 

I just think Bielsas system will take them further long term.

But we'll see who outperforms who the coming seasons.

55 minutes ago, striker said:

No matter how you look at it it doesn’t change the result.

Trying to replicate a performance where a side grubbed a 1-0 win due to a player heading it into his own net is very silly indeed. Don't think Ancelotti will be doing that very often.

Steve Bruce type stuff. I'm well over that.

1 hour ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

This, all of this. I’m pretty annoyed by the level of overreaction and just how binary and fickle some of our fans are. We’re switching between “we’re gonna win the league” and “Smith out”. Not sure if anyone else noticed but Leeds have drawn with Man City and barely lost to Liverpool. They’re a good side.

In several alternate universes we won that game. It all hinged on the first goal which could have been ours. We did struggle to change our game to one or chasing for an equalizer - but to be fair on Dean, that’s the first time (other than the cup with our B squad) that we’ve been behind all season.

One game doesn’t mean we’re doomed, just as four games doesn’t crown us champions. Deano is doing a great job. A lot of fans are extra pissed because it’s Leeds, and even worse because Patrick Scamford got all the goals. But like, STFU and enjoy where we are so far this season. It’s still a dream start and every single one of you would’ve taken this before the season began. 

We’ll finish ahead of Leeds. They can’t keep that level of energy up all season.

Not sure about this. But anyway it’s not about Leeds. It’s about us and we’re still on track for a top half finish which I believe  is the aim. Nobody for a second is saying smith out or we are doomed after that one game.

People are just rightly pointing out we are better than that. The players and manager got it wrong. Even they would admit that themselves.  Need to bounce back against Southampton. 

18 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I agree. I think we should have enough to be relatively comfortable this season but to move to the next level we need a couple of MFs who can give the front four a platform - McGinn, Grealish, Barkley and Traore are all forward looking players, Trez (normally) gives decent cover but he is limited in many ways. Luis is playing as a holding player but he’s not a true DCM.
We could do with a couple of Nakamba+ type players. If only we could have got hold of Phillips last season. 
We’ll have ups and downs I’m sure but I feel we have turned a corner

Pleased for Dean that he is proving the doubters worng 

I agree with all that.

We are WIP and I'm sure Dean with look at that game objectively and learn lessons from it.....we clearly have a weakness , with teams who work the ball quickly and get about stopping our fluidity and forcing us in to errors.

I think the next phase of player recruitment needs to focus on the type of player that can negate us being stopped and redress the balance of returning our fluidity back to the team.....it might take a couple of similar players to suffice.

Ps I agree with your opinion of the defensive 2 in midfield....in games like this, it can look wanting....I don't think either are dedicated CDM's

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Sorry meant to say ‘style of play’ not ‘player’.

But I totally agree with you. It’s one game, it was poor but one to forget, there could be many reasons why we played the way we did. What’s important is that we respond well to this defeat, we don’t want to go on a bad run of form which happened on several occasions last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

That it, were all complaining about Leeds and at the moment it's going to be Leeds I think that have an answer to us, that doesnt mean Leeds wont find the team that has an answer to them.

You cant win them all or have everything in the bag (although Liverpool came pretty close), it just doesnt work in football. Everything has a counter and when you play certain ways, you leave yourself open to those who become skilled in exploiting those very ways. Not saying Bielsa is magic but he clearly has found a system that exploits certain formations by overloading the defence and making the defence work 100% harder. You have half your team set up at the half way line and beyond then your going to shut out a team who has only a couple of guys running in midfield. The problem with all that however is Leeds should of been easy to break down for our final third and they were back as fast as what we could break. Part of the problem in hos fast teams reorganise is how much ball holding were actually doing, our aim should be pushing the ball on as fast as we can, all while causing confusion. We were to slow at times and Leeds dealt with us in all honesty very easy because we didnt counter as fast as we should of done and in the right ways.

I'm not aiming all this at Jack just using him as an example. When we are countering a team who have just failed striking against us, we really need to have Jack and other players go full throttle at opponents. It's all good strolling on in with the ball when weve had to work the ball up to the final third slowly, but the same does or should not apply when we have to get at opposition quickly while they are trying to reorganize themselves into an efficient way of defending, we should have one over them.

Everybody saying Leeds is this superfit side, I think its half that, the other half is that they had a gameplan and efficiently attacked and attacked us while we were limited in defence. We also had an ineffective midfield, it's not rocket science to see how that one will go when the attackers have the midfield outnumbered and the opposition defence. I hope Smith next time sets up similar, he would do well to try and adopt the 4-1-4-1 style as a way to change up things more and throw more bodys at the situation. That formation is like throwing a hot potato into a trench and watching everyone jump out the trench waiting for it to explode, it never really explodes but it does make everyone work tirelessly to try deal with it.

Good points Dave.

With Jack he is a special talent, but he is not the perfect player, who is.......We need to ensure we get the best out of him for the benefit of the team and sometimes other players need to show out to him to exploit that, like Barkley did against Liverpool.....He was isolated against Leeds and lost the ball so often as a result of it.......i.e When 3 players close you down, others must be free, ( so what are they doing)...i.e I watched Luiz shadowing all over the pitch, not getting tight and not getting physical, not turning the ball over in transition by interceptions....I am reluctant to pick on individuals in a game like that because I think it was a collective effort and some of our players made others look worse....but some never competed, sure they covered every blade of grass, but sometimes its idle running where the lags work tirelessly, but the brain is on holiday......I am not convinced with idle running, more a fan of effective running, I think there is a difference.

I hear comments about players sometimes being questioned ,like " well he runs the channels" like he works hard.......my response is " doing what exactly"

Bamford was lauded for his performance.....played well, but he was allowed to, too......If we had of got physically efficient and tight, he would not have scored 1 never mind 3 ....at one point we had 4 players surrounding him all expecting somebdy else to commit themselves and no one did.

The other star performance of Jack Harrison was a joke, he was aided and abetted by Alioski, not even a dedicated full back just improvised on the day...Matty cash had effectively 2 wingers to deal with, how can the rest of the team allow that?

It comes back to one of my favourite lines in football......they are all good if you let them be.

I think the mentality of that game was, we were more interested from the off, what we was going to impose on Leeds and forgot they had other ideas, in short, offensively it was our first thoughts and if we go in to the game with Southampton, with the same thought process will will experience what we did against Leeds, another major reversal.

I know we are in transition as a team, and Rome wasn't built in a day.....but i think next window, we need to bring in players like Andy Townsend or Kevin Richardson who "Rat " around in the midlde and take the sting out of the opposition.....and I mean players who can effectively disrupt the oppositions play and get there foot in.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes, they are a much better ‘team’ than us. Relying on individuals, remember, is an indication that the manager is a bit sub par. He needs to bring the best out of limited players too otherwise he’s not doing his job properly. Someone like Bamford is not particularly talented, but Bielsa has found a role for him and he’s performing it brilliantly. He couldn’t even score for Boro in the Championship before he joined Leeds.

It wasn’t just the manager, the players also let themselves down. McGinn, Grealish, Barkley, Watkins, all below par. Now I suspect that is tiredness, and though it didn’t make any sense to change a winning team, players like Hourihane, Nakamba, El Ghazi, even Davis coming on at 60-70 mins may have stopped us getting overrun. Every time Leeds went forward they seemed to have acres of space to run into, whereas we had none whatsoever. There’s a clear reason for that and it’s because they were running harder than we were.

I hope we see a response in the next game, which ain’t easy either.

The next gave against Southamption, we will see similar issues, unless we change our approach and play more like we did against Leicester.

against Leeds we went back to pre Lockdown, IMO.....We need to go back to post Lockdown...... we can do it, its all about attitude, discipline and approach.....we need to be patient and catch them on the counter.......we looked like we went out to win 4-1 against Leeds, in our heads.

You can't do that in this league, you need at times to be canny, tight and patient.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know we are in transition as a team, and Rome wasn't built in a day.....but i think next window, we need to bring in players like Andy Townsend or Kevin Richardson who "Rat " around in the midlde and take the sting out of the opposition.....and I mean players who can effectively disrupt the oppositions play and get there foot in.

We need another DM, it was apparent last season and nothing has changed tbh. Think getting Barkley compliments us going forward but it still leaves us short in our defensive midfield area. Douglas for me has it all but isn't great in that "rat" role you mentioned. 

• Like 3

Â