Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Out of curiosity, why do people hate Bamford so much? The hatred often refers to something beyond him being a playacting little shit (like plenty of other players) but there doesn’t seem much else to hate him for.

His behavior that got El Ghazi a red card against Leeds in our last season of the Championship.

I think people are reading too much into the performance. We’ve had our off game like every other PL club this season, bar Everton. It’s going to continue while crowds aren’t in the stadiums. We’ve had a great start,  it whatever happened this week, we were flat today. Hopefully the coaching staff will correct it for Southhampton.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Needed to stay much more compact like we did against Liverpool, we were far too open which took our midfield out of the game, let their press catch us in transition and exploit our fullbacks over and over.

We weren't in the first half. Our lines were really close. All their attacks came down our left and Cash was left exposed because Trezeguet was dire tonight. I mean, really bad. He tracked back all game against Leicester but tonight he did nothing. 

Watch the first half again. Leeds' forwards were blowing out their arses after 25 minutes. That's when we started getting into it. Wolves played the same way last Monday but, played three at the back. Maybe tonight was a night to change it up a bit? 

Our forwards took a touch too many when in good positions and that cost us when we did get a sight at their goal. For me, that was a big difference in the game. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Well clearly we need better defensive mids then!

I felt that about McGinn before the season started but we all love him! 
I would stick with the two but categorically if we are to play with 4-2-3-1 then McGinn & Luiz when they aren't on the ball must only be in two places....
In a defensive midfield position centrally for what ever transition of play and when the opposition gets the ball and moves it to one of the flanks then the defensive midfielder for that side goes to help the full back for that side whilst the other sits.

It also requires the trust of the front four not go back to fetch the ball and defend their job is to press and be ready for the counter when we get the ball back.

The full backs over load when we go forward and the defensive midfielders over them if we lose the ball, it is not a difficult system to play and is perfect for our players.

Would like to see us freshen things up next weekend. Yes I know we don't have the greatest reserve players in the world but Leeds showed tonight they could win well without 2-3 regulars. Already seeing stuff like Barkley must play every minute of every game because of his status but he's said himself he isn't even fully fit currently and that certainly showed tonight big time. Leeds signed Rodrigo for 30m and left him on the bench for 3-4 games while he adapted to their style so different approach to us playing Wesley for every minute of every game before he got injured last season.

Would leave him out next weekend unless Chelsea put one of those penalty clauses in the deal for games he dosen't start.

Last thing we want to do in this season is have our regular players dead on their feet by March from over playing. Would bring in Nakamba and Traore next weekend.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

We weren't in the first half. Our lines were really close. All their attacks came down our left and Cash was left exposed because Trezeguet was dire tonight. I mean, really bad. He tracked back all game against Leicester but tonight he did nothing. 

Watch the first half again. Leeds' forwards were blowing out their arses after 25 minutes. That's when we started getting into it. Wolves played the same way last Monday but, played three at the back. Maybe tonight was a night to change it up a bit? 

Our forwards took a touch too many when in good positions and that cost us when we did get a sight at their goal. For me, that was a big difference in the game. 

That isn't his role in the system we are playing that is John and Doug's role.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I think along with the players, Dean and the management should get some stick for not doing more when we could all see so many players having poor games and Leeds seem to be having one of their good games.  I honestly don’t know what that change would be because we were poor all over the pitch.  

Our wings one day outplay the best in TAA, Robertson and Salah and next day fall down to Costa and Harrison.  Bamford had one of those half’s where everything he struck went in the net.  

On the whole though I’m less worried about Leeds as we still could’ve taken the lead ourselves and whose what would’ve happened then.  

I’m now wanting to see Dean and the teams reaction to this, it may turn into a good kick up the back side, that we aren’t that good and we still need to work hard to have a good season.  We need new season Villa next match and not prelockdown Villa.

Nakamba, Conor and Traore for McGinn Barclay and Trez

Tactically tonight, I'd have pushed Watkins on the Ayling to stop those long-range passes, made Trezeguet stay wide right to help Cash and, made McGinn help out wide right should they look like they are overloading us there. 

Leeds beat us down our right side. That needs to be looked at for sure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would like to see us freshen things up next weekend. Yes I know we don't have the greatest reserve players in the world but Leeds showed tonight they could win well without 2-3 regulars. Already seeing stuff like Barkley must play every minute of every game because of his status but he's said himself he isn't even fully fit currently and that certainly showed tonight big time. Leeds signed Rodrigo for 30m and left him on the bench for 3-4 games while he adapted to their style so different approach to us playing Wesley for every minute of every game before he got injured last season.

Would leave him out next weekend unless Chelsea put one of those penalty clauses in the deal for games he dosen't start.

Last thing we want to do in this season is have our regular players dead on their feet by March from over playing. Would bring in Nakamba and Traore next weekend.

We have 9 days so plenty of time to refreshen and get over niggles. I would keep the midfield the same if they are all fit and maybe just bring in Traore. 

Just now, Villarocker said:

Tactically tonight, I'd have pushed Watkins on the Ayling to stop those long-range passes, made Trezeguet stay wide right to help Cash and, made McGinn help out wide right should they look like they are overloading us there. 

Leeds beat us down our right side. That needs to be looked at for sure. 

Certainly a game to bring on Davis and push Watkins wider to put some pressure on their backline from building up play. Amazed it didn't happen as soon as 1-0 happened tbh.

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No shame in losing to Bielsa but he needs to learn from this. 

Should have been a bit more pragmatic today. Can't allow Leeds getting off so many counter attacks

he needs to learn from a manager he has outperformed last 2 seasons?

• Like 1

I think today the players let him down, they failed after going a goal down . Lets be honest we have 2 subs to change the game in attack thats Traore and Hourihane the others are not good enough(Davis) or not trusted(El Ghazi)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he needs to learn from a manager he has outperformed last 2 seasons?

This is an EXTREMELY simplistic way of looking at things to be honest.

It's like saying Ranieri is better than Pep because Leicester won the League over them, for example.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is an EXTREMELY simplistic way of looking at things to be honest.

It's like saying Ranieri is better than Pep because Leicester won the League over them, for example.

Pep didnt manage in England the same season Ranieri won the league,

the truth is that Smith has outmanaged Bielsa since he came to England

• Like 1

Â