Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

How hard is it for people to understand that the problem is not WHERE we are (just off safety in the Premier League), but HOW we are playing?

If you think style is the most important thing, when a poor squad is fighting for survival then again I'd say your expectations are the problem. 

3 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

A miracle😂 he got promoted with probably the best side in the league, only reason we needed to win 10 on the spin is because he lost about 13 out of 15 when grealish wasn't playing. 

You clearly forget the state we were in when he joined. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm not really that concerned about Newcastle tbh. They'll probably be poor. What I'm concerned about is that we'll be poor once again and just all round gutless.

Yeah I agree.  It’s the one game you look at and think if we are up for it it’s our 3 points but I’m concerned if we are up for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If you think style is the most important thing, when a poor squad is fighting for survival then again I'd say your expectations are the problem. 

It's not THE most important thing, but it is important. And it's not just style, it's about general application as well. All too often we look beaten mentally and can't even do the basics right.

Im so torn right now. On the one hand I really like Deano, having a fan as manager, someone who cares and has worked hard to land his dream job and I really hate the constant chopping and changing of managers that inevitably leads to instability and a general mess within squads.

But I cant stand how he persists with players and formations that return no dividends. I hate that he constantly refuses to be brave and change things in-game when they arent working and we’re conceding so much posession and territory. The 4-3-3 hasnt worked well against Prem opposition, yet we still keep it. We’ve had countless leads and games against 10 men but we are tactically so open and all over the place that we’ve missed out on so many points.

Gluttons for punishment. The curse that never lifts being a Villa fan

Awful from top to bottom, so many questions need to be asked. I feel sorry for Smith as it seems between Suso getting in players he didn't want and Terry waiting for him to fail, he's managing with a hand tied behind his back.  The problem is he's not helping himself as we don't seem to have improved anywhere across the pitch. 

Where are the ideas? the creativity? a plan to deal with whoever is in front of us? And if we don't have those where is the fight? We're staring relegation in the face, but we have a very good chance of getting out of it, yet no one seems bothered. So so frustrating, that surely lies with Smith.

Ultimately, FFP and the decisions/signings made the last few seasons have screwed us over. We'll have a better foundation to work from next season whichever league we're in. The way this run in is going, I'm not sure if Smith is right person to take us forward. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It’s not a question of style. We aren’t creating a decent amount of chances. How do we win? Shit house every game off one corner/FK?

After 60 minutes we were 16th in the league.  Yes, that is silly and again we got a defeat but in all seriousness it’s not going to take much to get out of this because other teams are so poor as well.  Just needs one or two teams to do something, it doesn’t look like us at the moment but we are so close to being out of the relegation spots it’s crazy, we just need something, a lucky game I don’t care.

The thing that pisses me off about smith is his lame subs. We all said nakamba comes on at half time as we needed that ball winning dm. But what does he do? Waits for us to be losing then beings him on. Then brings in jota 4 minutes before the end when we chasing a goal. Absolutely pathetic management 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

You clearly forget the state we were in when he joined. 

Give it up chap. Smith is taking us no where.

The Cup game against Leicester proved we have what it takes. An it's not all about the players being poor. Where's the motivation, where's the aggression, where's the tactical awareness the subs when needed. It's 70/30 down to management mate. Smith just ain't up to the job, an it's unfortunate, we have give him the chance but from day one, he didn't have the experience for the Premier League and as I have said you cannot learn your trade with the Villa and now yet again it has been proven.

• Like 3

Best thing we can do is get rid now and hope for a bounce. 

I'm pretty sure we'll just get relegated, shrug our shoulders, and give Deano another shot at promotion. 

• Like 1

If it wasn't for the fact that we're playing every few days until the end of the season I think he'd be sacked, which was what was likely to happen before the lockdown. Not much time now, unless they planned something in advance, but not sure they would have done that given the circumstances, but under normal conditions I think he'd have lost his job already.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Give it up chap. Smith is taking us no where.

The Cup game against Leicester proved we have what it takes. An it's not all about the players being poor. Where's the motivation, where's the aggression, where's the tactical awareness the subs when needed. It's 70/30 down to management mate. Smith just ain't up to the job, an it's unfortunate, we have give him the chance but from day one, he didn't have the experience for the Premier League and as I have said you cannot learn your trade with the Villa and now yet again it has been proven.

I don't think Smith is doing a great job and I doubt he is the man to lead us to glory in future years. 

But the idea this squad is much better than what we see and that smith is the problem is just nonsense IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AV82 said:

It’s not a question of style. We aren’t creating a decent amount of chances. How do we win? Shit house every game off one corner/FK?

I agree. But is that really all down to smith?

I mean look at our attacking options. Its awful. 

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He has openly said he's not a result man.

@TRO has pointed this out numerous times. Don't know where it's from. Must be from an interview.

Yes he did.

It is from a podcast he made recently.

He also said "teams mirror their manager" too.....his words not mine.

31 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I've backed Smith for so long but he's just seemingly abandoned his entire philosophy. A Brentford Smith would never do that so why has it happened at this club once again, every manager we hire just ends up ruined and gives up on all their ways of playing.

What's the point anymore?

Maybe because the job/expectation is too much for them? Perhaps we do need to break the bank and go for someone who is used to a big club. 

Â