Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I do not understand how you can continue to defend him .Why are his hands tied.

who went for the gung ho approach with a brand new set of players at the start of the season ? Who continued to leave the back 4 then back 3 then back 5  completely exposed week in week out because we do not defend as a team or unit?

The performances and basic tactical prowess he continues to display are obvious to every one. Yes the players are not as good as we would like , but you play to your strengths and get your best players playing. He was involved in signing the players , he scouted Marvelous  on several occasions  and the master winger play maker trezcantplay. 

The team have to show fight and bottle and pride  its utter dross and has been most of the season with basic football errors you see in local leagues. I dont blame Smith  i blame the system that placed him in the job he did not have the credentials to fill.   I'm personally sick of stating the obvious.

Nice guy OUT OF HIS DEPTH

Because he is 3 points off meeting his target after doing everything asked of him and more since joining the club. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But then how do you implement a style like his, with a load of players who lack the quality to play in this league? 

No I agree, which is why I’m saying the promotion has in a way hindered him. I think if we’d had another season in the championship, we would have done the squad rebuild there, and got used to playing that way. Then you’d hope we would then add quality to a settled team should we have gone up this season. Obviously, what I’m saying is all hypothetical because we did come up. I’m glad we did, but like I say it may have been beneficial not to.

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You have absolutely no evidence that Smith didnt sign these players. 

The levels some people go to defeind smith is incredible!

I agree 100 %  he travelled an awful long way to scout TREZCANTPLAY and scouted the major midfield talent MARVELOUS

absolute bollo he didint have some input in these players 

1 minute ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I agree 100 %  he travelled an awful long way to scout TREZCANTPLAY and scouted the major midfield talent MARVELOUS

You're wasted on here with this comedy. 

Trezcantplay. Haha, how did you come up with it?

Edited by DCJonah
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Because he is 3 points off meeting his target after doing everything asked of him and more since joining the club. 

not really answered the questions there mate, but yes 3 points from safety but i feel we might as well be 12   

Another thing that annoys me wiyh smith he sticks with same ahit. Using ineffective players like hourihane and el ghazi. Why not give someone like vassilev a start? Even give jota abit more game time?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AV82 said:

That’s a fair point but I’m not sure we have that poor a squad. Let’s say the 4 or 5 teams at the foot of the table have close-ish squads in terms of quality the next stand out factors are management, coaching, etc. 

Our squad should certainly be far more well drilled in holding leads 3/4 into a league season.

Last time I looked Crystal Palace don't have 5/6 world class players but they have a leader at CB (Cahill), really good deep lying midfielder (Miliojovic) and match winner in final third (Zaha). And guys like Ayew and Van Arnholt who've improved and really know what premier league is about know and how to grind out results.

Given Palace are on 42 points they'll probably finish about 25 points clear of us which I doubt anyone would've thought possible in August when 40 points was the target.

• Like 1

I don't think we can credit Bruce with bringing Abraham, it wasn't as if he found an hidden gem any manager of any championship club would have wanted him, we were just lucky enough that we were ablt to do it, probably more to do with our new owners than Bruce and it's not as if Abraham wouldn't have come to us if it wasn't for Bruce. The reason we got such players in the championship was because of money.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I don’t think it’ll catch on mate. I always admire a pun though 

Edited by alreadyexists

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

He only spent 120m to try achieve that

Come on. 

You're a fan. You know the players we lost and the numbers we needed. Don't rewrite history. 

This is the kind of shit, fans from other clubs post about us. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah I agree, management and coaching can make a big difference. 

I think our squad is terrible all over. Especially in attack. 

We certainly agree there.

My issue right now with Smith is not so much that we should be steamrolling the opposition and comfortably avoiding relegation nor even scraping results - my issue is that I want to see some sort of gameplan. I don’t want us to rollover with 20% possession making the same substitutions and keeping the same 11. I want to see all options exhausted and a manager that tries to find solutions. I see none of that after months of preparation.

Edited by AV82

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Or he's either a yes man. Remember ( despite Purslow telling us otherwise ) he was not first choice. Henry was. Faria even was ahead of him apparently. Smith wanted this. At all costs. With any and every restriction that came with , like having an assistant manager forced upon you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

We certainly agree there.

My issue right now with Smith is not so much that we should be steamrolling the opposition and comfortably avoiding relegation nor even something as simple as winning games - I just want to see some sort of gameplan. I don’t want us to rollover with 20% possession making the same substitutions and keeping the same 11. I want to see all options exhausted and a manager that tries to find solutions. I see none of that after months of preparation.

I do get that. I just don't see many options to change things. We just lack so much all over. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But then how do you implement a style like his, with a load of players who lack the quality to play in this league? 

You don't but you adapt. However we have got physically beaten each game we still look physically weaker. Other teams' smaller players are knocking our players off the ball. 

One thing is he should have been insistent on buying two Premier League experienced cloggers to help these players bed in. The second thing he should have done is bring in an experienced assistant manager. When Thomas Frank wasn't going to be coming in John Terry was absolutely the wrong person as his number 2. Who that is I don't know but there's plenty around. 

It's a shame Wesley got injured though as I believe he was starting to come good and a lot of Smith's play was dependent on him. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I do get that. I just don't see many options to change things. We just lack so much all over. 

Jota. Youth. 2 up top. Grealish through the middle as a focal point. Using McGinn as an impact sub to build his fitness and confidence. Motivating the players to press as a unit. Surely these are all options?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Or he's either a yes man. Remember ( despite Purslow telling us otherwise ) he was not first choice. Henry was. Faria even was ahead of him apparently. Smith wanted this. At all costs. With any and every restriction that came with , like having an assistant manager forced upon you.

I agree - it just winds me up that fans believe  he had no input what so ever.  Then defend smith for the utter crap with have been served up this season.

So we are managed and captained by a boyhood villa fan, and yet, 87 mins into a game when you are fighting for survival losing at home(or not at home) 2-1, Jack wins the ball mid way through our own half, a possible break is finally on. And you see 3 other players in the middle of the park ( still in our half), strolling like if they are enjoying the sunset in platja de muro. 

I know the players are shit and even if we put passion and sweat in we are likely to lose more than 2-1, but **** hell, at least put some effort and try

Edited by HongKongVillan

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

again, I'm not saying he is blameless. I'm sure he is part of it. 

The bottom line for me is we failed miserably in the summer and whoever was manager would have struggled this year. 

Making out like Smith is the root of all problems and replacing him will fix it all is just not true. 

Forget the signings for the moment, let’s look at the tactics today. Did we change shape, to try to counter the obvious advantage Chelsea have in quality? No. It’s all so obvious, like for like changes. Alonso had acres of space on the left all game, no tactical change to try and stop that. We had a lucky 1-0 halftime lead, did we change things to try and stop Chelsea playing the entire game in our half? No. We go 2-1 down, so we HAVE to change the dynamic of the game. We do nothing. Like for like changes in a system that ain’t working. We’ve basically tasked Davis to take on at least 2 Chelsea defenders all game, win the ball, hold it until someone from midfield (about 30yds away) might show for a pass. When it’s obvious that has failed miserably, we essentially blame Davis by subbing him and bring on Samatta.......to try and do exactly the same thing! It’s **** ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Â