Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Im still baffled as to why he changed Davis for samatta when the midfield were proper struggling, could have easily got nakamba in to help out and maybe give us a bit more possession or even just the fresh legs. Replaces an isolated lone striker with another one and expects what to change? 

Yep - Mcginn stayed on longer - who was totally anonymous.

7 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Chance of a fresh start, 3 months to replan. We've got worse.

I hate the old "lost the players" but I wonder if they are confused by things. They look lost.

I fear Terry will take over though. 

JT can't possibly do much worse.

Needed to have beaten Sheff Utd the other night but he was happy with a bloody point, didn’t expect anything against Chelsea, but this team and subs are getting like Groundhog Day, stick some of the youth teamers on the bench, rather see Louie Barry have a game than have the likes of Borja on the bench who he never uses anyway 

Without a miracle from Smith, we'd be currently hoping we were fighting for promotion. 

Yet he delivered that, a cup final and is 2 pts off his target for this year. And yet people speak like he's been a disaster. 

I'd say your ridiculous expectations have been a disaster. 

• Thanks 1

I have been pro Smith most of this season but it has gotten to the point where I think he is at fault for most of our issues. I think our faults can be boiled down into a couple of points rather than just the quality of the squad. 

1) Complete lack of width - especially defensively. We play so narrow that teams can constantly bombard us with crosses and it allows whoever we are playing to have an advantage on the flanks especially with balls into the back post as their winger can run in uncontested and will often get a free touch. It happened against Liverpool and it happened today just to name 2 of the times we have conceded from this exact situation. 

2) Lack of Aggression. At the start of the season we went out to score multiple goals a game but lately we have retreated into our shells and die by a thousands cuts rather than one big attack. The issue is that we are too passive and we let teams relentlessly attack us until we crack. Once again occurred today. When we do attack we look dangerous and we put pressure on teams. The 2 spurts of the game where we did attack resulted in a goal and near miss against a team with aspirations of a champions league finish. If we were attacking for the full 90 minutes instead of just weathering blows we might have scored multiple and even if we lost it wouldn't have been so pathetic. I would actually prefer it if we lost 5-2 against Chelsea than if we had just lost 2-1 one because at least in the 5-2 we were bold but in the 2-1 we rolled over and let them spank us.

3) Lack of aggression. The only players who seem to care are Grealish and mings. We need our players to be roughing up our opponents and making it hard on them. The only time I remember us commuting a proper foul was when Hause collided with Giroud. The rest were all a bit soft but still we need our Midfield to go in and leave one in. We have 5 subs now so we should be utilising it with tactical fouls and annoyances. Other teams do it constantly to us so we should do it to them. Yes we are crap at defending set pieces but at least we are organised instead of what happened when pulisic scored.

4) Poor Positioning and Mismanagement. You may thi k this is just a rehash of point one. But this one is specifically about mcginn. Smith has given mcginn a license to press high up the pitch but why? It **** us over. It means Mcginn is out of position when they inevitably pass it around him, it means he is gassed because he just made a 40 yard sprint to a centre back who casually passed it to either his keeper or full back. Also when we have the ball none of our players show for it or are close to our strikers so we have to rely on them to do everything. It really hurt how wesley looked, it really really hurts samatta. The only one who looks alright with it is Davis probably because he got used to it for 20 games back in the championship. The showing for it issue is also terrible for mcginn. No matter where we have the ball mcginn makes a gut busting run into the box and nothing happens when instead he should have come short received the ball to feet turned and pushed the ball forward with either a pass or a dribble. Instead we end up passing the ball around the back and hoofing it to our strikers which as I covered can't do anything because no one is near them.

Now does all this mean Smith should be fired? I don't know, they all seem like relatively easy issues to fix and I'm not sure why the haven't been these have been our issues all season yet the only thing Smith has done to address them is to make us a worse attacking side by making us play more defensive. 

The players should be given some sort of freedom to attack at home. Surely they are not shit enough to have to sit 10 of them behind the ball at 0-0 after 20 minutes.

It has to be the tactics, which are horrendous.

I'd sack Smith now and just bring in Allardyce for the remaining games. I certainly don't want Smith here next season as Grealish won't be here to either drag us back in to the PL, or to safety if we somehow stay up.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Without a miracle from Smith, we'd be currently hoping we were fighting for promotion. 

Yet he delivered that, a cup final and is 2 pts off his target for this year. And yet people speak like he's been a disaster. 

How hard is it for people to understand that the problem is not WHERE we are (just off safety in the Premier League), but HOW we are playing?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

A miracle😂 he got promoted with probably the best side in the league, only reason we needed to win 10 on the spin is because he lost about 13 out of 15 when grealish wasn't playing. 

Interesting that Villa and Sheff Utd played a few days ago and both looked poor today.  I know I'm grabbing at straws but this gives me hope for Wednesday against Newcastle that Newcastle may have 2nd game syndrome and now safe will be at the beach already.  Who knows what 3rd game syndrome will be but hoping it's a kick up the butt

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What exactly does he offer? He's nowhere near good enough. Not much point in sacking him right now but he should definitely go at the end of the season, although I fear he won't.

Not sure - you have to question those above him.... Thierry Henry was the other name in the frame - and Smith got a bumper contract when we hovered just outside the RZ....

Wouldn't hold your breath for the next manager being a whole lot better - and you have to say JT imo would be favourite to get the gig.

Just now, nick76 said:

Interesting that Villa and Sheff Utd played a few days ago and both looked poor today.  I know I'm grabbing at straws but this gives me hope for Wednesday against Newcastle that Newcastle may have 2nd game syndrome and now safe will be at the beach already.  Who knows what 3rd game syndrome will be but hoping it's a kick up the butt

I'm not really that concerned about Newcastle tbh. They'll probably be poor. What I'm concerned about is that we'll be poor once again and just all round gutless.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Spot on. 

It's just very unfortunate Deano has to take the heat for our awful recruitment. Jesus Pitarch should be **** off asap. Our squad and summer signings are truly shite. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Â