Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

In terms of staying up after being ahead it is a disaster.

Chelsea have players much better than ours agreed. But we are hardly beating anyone.

It's not games like this that will decide our season - we're expected to lose them. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You really think a new manager makes a difference with the quality in this squad?

I'd like to think a new manager would be sharper with subs. I think Nakamba is bang average but he's a defensive midfielder who can move around and track people so surely that's a logical sub at 1-0 when we need to close down space and frustrate subs. It's not like we were doing any attacking at that point anyway

They put on Pulisic and Barkley, we did nothing, Pulisic scored and they won 1-2. We then pu

Our squad is poor but there are still things a manager can do when you're leading against a top 6/7 team. Make some subs, condense the space, slow down the game etc.

Instead DS sits on his hands like v Arsenal away. Did nothing that day when Arsenal were starting to get back into things either and they only had 10.

The first 6/8 games of Smith's reign there was a clear approach to keep the ball, it was tika taka football. And whilst we didn't have the players to do it at the time I thought it was good to bed your philosophy in from the start, even if it meant 1 step forward to ultimately take a couple forward. 

He seemed to abandon that approach after a couple of months and became much more direct, a style that is alien to him. It worked in the championship because we had 3/4 players that were a cut above at that level. 

Now those players are average at best, and the manager has lost his identity. 

I think he'll regret not sticking to his guns after those first half a dozen games. 

You really think a new manager makes a difference with the quality in this squad?

I'd like to think a new manager would be sharper with subs. I think Nakamba is bang average but he's a defensive midfielder who can move around and track people so surely that's a logical sub at 1-0 when we need to close down space and frustrate subs. It's not like we were doing any attacking at that point anyway

They put on Pulisic and Barkley, we did nothing, Pulisic scored and they won 1-2. We then put Nakamba on at 1-2 when we need to chase the game so wasted sub.

Our squad is poor but there are still things a manager can do when you're leading against a top 6/7 team. Make some subs, condense the space, slow down the game etc.

Instead DS sits on his hands like v Arsenal away. Did nothing that day when Arsenal were starting to get back into things either and they only had 10.

Fact is, if we all feel we are certs to go down, and Jack leave soff the back of that, we may as well change the manager now so that he gets a look at the squad prior to going down and let him see what he needs to change in the summer. 

• Like 1

They put on Pulisic and Barkley, we did nothing, Pulisic scored and they won 1-2. We then put Nakamba on at 1-2 when we need to chase the game so wasted sub.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why do you defend smith so much? Because he is a villa fan?

Of coursw a new manager can make a difference. We got rid of bruce and bought smith and got promoted.  All we need is a couple wins with a maanger who has some idea what he is doing and we can stay up

I couldn't care less who he supports. 

I defend him because from day 1 I said 17th would be a massive achievement. And this squad is clearly not Premier league quality. 

I don't think Smith is doing a great job and some of his decisions deserve criticism. But the idea that this squad should be doing much better is nonsense.  

• Like 1

• Like 2

I've backed Smith for so long but he's just seemingly abandoned his entire philosophy. A Brentford Smith would never do that so why has it happened at this club once again, every manager we hire just ends up ruined and gives up on all their ways of playing.

What's the point anymore?

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I couldn't care less who he supports. 

I defend him because from day 1 I said 17th would be a massive achievement. And this squad is clearly not Premier league quality. 

I don't think Smith is doing a great job and some of his decisions deserve criticism. But the idea that this squad should be doing much better is nonsense.  

Its not nonsense. Asking for some passion fight and hunger.  Maybe some good defensive displays or some attacking intent wouldnt gk afar now and again.

But Smith is delivering hardly any of this and making pathetic mistakes

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We've lost by one goal and their players are light-years ahead of what we've got. This is nowhere near a disaster. 

Your tripping.

It's yet again the nature of the defeat. Chelsea were far far from there best, they just walked it really.

Really can't understand the defence some people put out for Smith now, anyone else and they would be banners out. Give it up guys Smith ain't the man!!!

Â