Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Myabe the squad isn't good enough and yes we were always likely to struggle but I can't understand how you watch that first 45 mins and send out the team with no changes and when you do make a change its to change your lone striker for another lone striker ...basically lets put fresh legs up front to run around and chase aimless balls...

With Wolves people have to understand their agent parked the players there a season early in the championship and they grew together and then were gelled enough to play well in the Premier League. Mendes that's his name. 

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

I agree but I expect more from him. I do believe that our manager should be able to squeeze the extra % out of the squad that is required for us to stay up and Smith isn’t doing that.

But why? Why should our squad stay up over west ham, Watford or Bournemouth. 

All their fans would say the same.

Three teams have to go down, our squad is one of the worst ones in the league. Even more so with a few injuries. 

I think the most disappointing thing is the nature of defeats. Where’s the football we saw brentford playing? I think his success in getting us up last season, has actually hindered his long term ambitions as couldn’t get the “style” perfected prior to promotion. Unfortunately looks like he is lost now, can’t make a sub that can affect a game.

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

again, I'm not saying he is blameless. I'm sure he is part of it. 

The bottom line for me is we failed miserably in the summer and whoever was manager would have struggled this year. 

Making out like Smith is the root of all problems and replacing him will fix it all is just not true. 

Staying up fixes 99% of our problems.we can rebuild in the summer with the grealish money.

Only sawiris and edens know what role jesus had. If it was a large part in the signings then yes he should go with smith.

You can only blame Smith for so much, he's a "yes" man and you should all realise this.

He didn't sign these players and it shows.

Watching the team today and most of them are not PL footballers which is why we are the second worst team in the league.

Shocking, really depressing!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think the most disappointing thing is the nature of defeats. Where’s the football we saw brentford playing? I think his success in getting us up last night, has actually hindered his long term ambitions as couldn’t get the “style” perfected prior to promotion. Unfortunately looks like he is lost now, can’t make a sub that can affect a game.

This is nail on the head mikey

Just now, DCJonah said:

again, I'm not saying he is blameless. I'm sure he is part of it. 

The bottom line for me is we failed miserably in the summer and whoever was manager would have struggled this year. 

Making out like Smith is the root of all problems and replacing him will fix it all is just not true. 

No that's a fair point. Hopefully in 12 months time we've come straight back up and we've learnt that to be a serious player in premier league you need to sign serious players who know premier league inside out or other major leagues.

There should not be the excuse of a big squad overhaul as we had in the summer.

This season has certainly taught a lesson to Purslow given some of the stuff he was saying straight after the play off final. Oh dear and it wasn't like he was some wet behind the ear worker in football either. Also imagine it's been a sobering 12 months for Wes and Nas on the realities of owning a football club.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But why? Why should our squad stay up over west ham, Watford or Bournemouth. 

All their fans would say the same.

Three teams have to go down, our squad is one of the worst ones in the league. Even more so with a few injuries. 

That’s a fair point but I’m not sure we have that poor a squad. Let’s say the 4 or 5 teams at the foot of the table have close-ish squads in terms of quality the next stand out factors are management, coaching, etc. 

Edited by AV82

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Like i said, I don't think he is doing a great job. 

But his hands are seriously tied when it comes to quality in our team.

I do not understand how you can continue to defend him .Why are his hands tied.

who went for the gung ho approach with a brand new set of players at the start of the season ? Who continued to leave the back 4 then back 3 then back 5  completely exposed week in week out because we do not defend as a team or unit?

The performances and basic tactical prowess he continues to display are obvious to every one. Yes the players are not as good as we would like , but you play to your strengths and get your best players playing. He was involved in signing the players , he scouted Marvelous  on several occasions  and the master winger play maker trezcantplay. 

The team have to show fight and bottle and pride  its utter dross and has been most of the season with basic football errors you see in local leagues. I dont blame Smith  i blame the system that placed him in the job he did not have the credentials to fill.   I'm personally sick of stating the obvious.

Nice guy OUT OF HIS DEPTH

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think the most disappointing thing is the nature of defeats. Where’s the football we saw brentford playing? I think his success in getting us up last night, has actually hindered his long term ambitions as couldn’t get the “style” perfected prior to promotion. Unfortunately looks like he is lost now, can’t make a sub that can affect a game.

But then how do you implement a style like his, with a load of players who lack the quality to play in this league? 

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You can only blame Smith for so much, he's a "yes" man and you should all realise this.

He didn't sign these players and it shows.

Watching the team today and most of them are not PL footballers which is why we are the second worst team in the league.

Shocking, really depressing!

You have absolutely no evidence that Smith didnt sign these players. 

The levels some people go to defeind smith is incredible!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Without a miracle from Smith, we'd be currently hoping we were fighting for promotion. 

Yet he delivered that, a cup final and is 2 pts off his target for this year. And yet people speak like he's been a disaster. 

I'd say your ridiculous expectations have been a disaster. 

Let's not pretend having Grealish return for the 10 game winning streak and having the best striker in that division didn't mask over his shortcomings.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So if we had 3 more points everyone would be saying smith is doing an amazing job?

No but I'd say he'd be doing the job we expected him to do. 

Even with the turmoil that has been, after this long I'd still expect to see some sort of foundation in our play and tactics. But there isn't.

We still have no idea of what to do in possession and we are poorly organized in all areas of the pitch.

Just now, AV82 said:

That’s a fair point but I’m not sure we have that poor a squad. Let’s say the 4 or 5 teams at the foot of the table have close-ish squads in terms of quality the stand out factors are management, coaching, etc. 

Yeah I agree, management and coaching can make a big difference. 

I think our squad is terrible all over. Especially in attack. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Let's not pretend having Grealish return for the 10 game winning streak and having the best striker in that division didn't mask over his shortcomings.

Who is pretending?

We still broke a club record for consecutive wins. It was an incredible run to get us up. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

But then how do you implement a style like his, with a load of players who lack the quality to play in this league? 

You dont and cant  employ the Brenford plan with a squad like we have ! You play or use another approach . Plan B . Oh we have no plan A 

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

With Wolves people have to understand their agent parked the players there a season early in the championship and they grew together and then were gelled enough to play well in the Premier League. Mendes that's his name. 

Didn't people say they'd all be moved on within 18 months? Seems they're all happy at Wolves and they'll only cash in if they get a ridiculous offer for Adama, Neves or Raul Jimenez.

I'd much rather have the Wolves model and watch world class footballers playing for us than the continual gambles we do on players with very limited top level experienced. It tends to get reflected in the league results and positions.

Three years ago Wolves had Paul Lambert as their manager and their main striker was Andeas Weimann.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Yes that is starting to show.  Lets not forget it was bruce who bought tammy in. If we had no tammy im.pretty sure smith would never have bought us up 

But i dont want to deny him the promotion as it was still a remarkable achievement 

Â