Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, New_Hope said:

We had 18 so your point is??

Everybody had 15 to 20 attempts against us, we concede more efforts on goal than anyone in the league

It will be the reason we go down if it isn’t addressed

Might be entertaining but it’s going to cost us

The worrying thing is nobody seems capable of quite frankly bothered about doing anything

Trying to stay up based on the if you score 3 we will score 4 approach is suicidal

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

Everybody had 15 to 20 attempts against us, we concede more efforts on goal than anyone in the league

It will be the reason we go down if it isn’t addressed

Might be entertaining but it’s going to cost us

The worrying thing is nobody seems capable of quite frankly bothered about doing anything

Trying to stay up based on the if you score 3 we will score 4 approach is suicidal

Smith get's away with glaring issues because he's a boyhood Villa fan.

Shame on you if you criticize the Almighty Dean.

Just now, villalad21 said:

I don't think it's a case of not criticising him, it's more the blaming him for everything. Plus I haven't seen a single suggestion for a replacement that is both realistic and good. 

13 minutes ago, KHV said:

We have conceded 98 shots on goal in 6 league games

If you don’t think that’s a massive problem your deluded

Had it not been for Reina today Spurs would have had 6 or 7

Were wide open every time the opposition comes forward

Spurs had 23 shots on goal, thats roughly an attempt every 4 mins, hardly what I would call going well. It’s actually quite amateurish, we look like we will concede goals at every given moment

It is a problem - the solution isn’t to play for clean sheets. I don’t remember all 23 of Spurs shots today, but I thought we were unlucky to lose and it ultimately came down to a mistake.

Give me that than trying to play for meek 0-0 draws any day of the week - let alone when we need to pick up some wins. 

Just now, villalad21 said:

I like Dean and I want him to do well. If we can survive he needs to address this open approach

All I want is little more organisation

I don’t think we train without the ball much from what I can see

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They had 23 shots.

Smith's system and playing style is a big part of the issue. You cannot ignore that.

We've got the worst defensive record in the league.

We had 55% possession and 12 corners to their 7. We have conceded 3 goals , 2 from individual errors. Stats can show whatever you want them to.

I watched the game today and the difference between the two teams was experience and wasn't that big a difference. They are top 4 we are bottom 4 .  

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think he gets away with it because there is no obvious replacement. I don't actually think the board have much experience recruiting managers and just hoping DS gets us over the line. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets next season even if we are relegated.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It is a problem - the solution isn’t to play for clean sheets. I don’t remember all 23 of Spurs shots today, but I thought we were unlucky to lose and it ultimately came down to a mistake.

Unlucky to lose. Really?

I can't recall Lloris having many saves to make. Not compared to Reina.

Reina were having an absolute worldie of a game and we still conceded 3. 

Just now, bobzy said:

Give me that than trying to play for meek 0-0 draws any day of the week - let alone when we need to pick up some wins. 

I’m not asking to try and play for a 0-0 I would like us to organise better without the ball 

Everyone is all over the shop, and out of position 

I would also like to see the get rid of it approach from the 18 yard line 

Just a couple of changes here and there

When we lose possession in the opponents half it’s literally 4 passes and Reina is being called into action!

• Like 1

It's a tough one. I think he's right playing a higher line but we simply don't have the talent in back 3 or central midfield to execute it effectively.

Spurs were awful first half and a proper there for the taking team given how well they played yet they still scored twice and really could've scored four with better finishing from Dele Alli. One punt from central midfield and one of their quick front 3 were in on goal, that happened for the penalty.

Sometimes conceding 10 yards and bunkering in like a Steve Bruce side isn't a bad tactic at all for this type of opposition.

We need to have a rethink otherwise they'll be more hard luck stories v Chelsea, Man. United, Wolves and Arsenal. Those teams will exploit the space like Spurs did today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I think he gets away with it because there is no obvious replacement. I don't actually think the board have much experience recruiting managers and just hoping DS gets us over the line. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets next season even if we are relegated.

How about that Brentford guy?

He is Overachieving with them. And if i'm not mistaken Brentford got one of the best defensive records in the Championship.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Unlucky to lose. Really?

I can't recall Lloris having many saves to make. Not compared to Reina.

Reina were having an absolute worldie of a game and we still conceded 3. 

Tbf, you’re right. 

As frustrating as it was to lose in the last minute, Spurs could have scored 5/6. They were extremely wasteful.

Ill post my thoughts on Smith a little later on suffice to say I think he has to take a lot of the blame today. 

Watch this space. 

1 minute ago, KHV said:

I’m not asking to try and play for a 0-0 I would like us to organise better without the ball 

Everyone is all over the shop, and out of position 

I would also like to see the get rid of it approach from the 18 yard line 

Just a couple of changes here and there

When we lose possession in the opponents half it’s literally 4 passes and Reina is being called into action!

Completely agree. This tika taka style is being coached into players that aren’t good enough to play it. That for me, is on Smith. 

Understat has our xG at 1.68 compared to Tottenham's 3.72. So yeah, they had the better chances.

A more troublesome statistic is that you have to go back as far as the Newcastle game to find a game where we more xG than our opponents or to put in another words, the better chances in a match.

Although Smith can’t be blamed for individual errors. What he can be blamed for is the constant tippy tappy passing around the box that ultimately leads to us to putting ourselves under pressure, that leads to mistakes.

He also hasn’t addressed the defensive problems that have plagued us all season that will ultimately lead to our relegation. 

• Like 1

Â