Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

His career has just gone downhill after he started working with Craig Shakespeare

I do wonder if that is coincidence or correlation, but I agree it does seem to have gone badly downhill since Shakespeare joined.

Sure there are other things in play also though.

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

This is what they're saying about DS anyway:

Stop bullying Smith😪 - Main Discussion - Norwich City - The Pinkun Forums

Reading some of that it actually feels very much like us and Gerrard tbh, no real warmth or connection between fanbase and manager which surprised me as Dean is a decent bloke and usually gets fans onside.

I do not think that getting relegated at our place helped matters with the reception Smith got at the end. A lot of the Norwich fans will resent that 

13 hours ago, Villastine said:

He's pushed back on the fans, really really stupid. His team just bloody lost, I'm disappointed in him. He should know better. 

Hopefully he turns it round. 

It’s strange how it’s deemed (by some) to be a one-way arrangement. It’s perfectly okay for fans to group together and give it out but as soon as a Manager pushes back a bit they should be sacked

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s strange how it’s deemed (by some) to be a one-way arrangement. It’s perfectly okay for fans to group together and give it out but as soon as a Manager pushes back a bit they should be sacked

You're paid millions and when you do a crap job you're paid 500k to sod off.

Smith doing a Bruce is ridiculous. Lost  a bit of respect

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I do wonder if that is coincidence or correlation, but I agree it does seem to have gone badly downhill since Shakespeare joined.

Shakespeare was here when we finished 11th sure some praised him as an inspired signing when we won 4 in a row and smashed Liverpool

Just like the MacPhee situation that people juat blame him and dont know how he works

Smith and Bruce having a go at fans aren't the same thing.

Bruce did it when we were on a run of genuinely bad form and then because we won one game against Rotherham he decided to have a go back, this was a Rotherham team that were one of the worst in the league, versus us who had one of the best if not not the best squad's in the league, that win against Rotherham was Bruce's only league win in his last ten games.

Smith has had a go at fan Norwich fans because they're actually doing okay in the top six, but their fans still go completely over the top with their criticism, as above I've seen their twitter tweet that they've taken the lead in games and all the replies were moaning that they didn't like the style of football or that they'd probably lose anyway, they genuniely do seem deluded and I wouldn't blame any manager for saying anything.

If Norwich had have spent millions upon millions, were on a losing streak, and in the lower half of the table and Smith was criticiizing their fans for being upset with that scenario then it would be comparable to Bruce criticizing Villa fans, they've sold their best players, hardly spent any money, have players out injured, have other big names that have been out of form since before Smith went there, he's doing a reasonable job having them top six.

I rate Aaron Ramsey highly as a prospect, but the fact that he's their third most creative player as an U19 in his first season at that level probably tells us something about the rest of their squad, it really isn't that good, if they were to sack Smith now it could even enhance his reputation, as it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them drop into midtable if they did sack him.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Didn't Shakespeare join in summer 2020 though? We started that season playing some quality stuff and defensively we were rock solid. Shakespeare also has Leicester title win on his CV as an assistant coach especially as it's known now Ranieri is pretty hands off on training ground.

I think a bigger blow was the club seemingly moving Richard O'Kelly out. Has been with DS since early Walsall days and I think he's been a father figure/mentor to Dean in coaching sense so don't think he's been the same since he left and didn't want to join him again at Norwich.

If DS leaves Norwich shortly he certainly won't take another job until the summer as he certainly needs a break of six months to refresh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

100% agree. i actually liked it when bruce bit back considering the level of (often personal) abuse he got

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think a bigger blow was the club seemingly moving Richard O'Kelly out. Has been with DS since early Walsall days and I think he's been a father figure/mentor to Dean in coaching sense so don't think he's been the same since he left and didn't want to join him again at Norwich.

I think this is closer to Smith's problems, O Kelly was obviously a big factor for Smith , despite Shakespeare having a higher profile..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

Smith and Bruce having a go at fans aren't the same thing.

Bruce did it when we were on a run of genuinely bad form and then because we won one game against Rotherham he decided to have a go back, this was a Rotherham team that were one of the worst in the league, versus us who had one of the best if not not the best squad's in the league, that win against Rotherham was Bruce's only league win in his last ten games.

Smith has had a go at fan Norwich fans because they're actually doing okay in the top six, but their fans still go completely over the top with their criticism, as above I've seen their twitter tweet that they've taken the lead in games and all the replies were moaning that they didn't like the style of football or that they'd probably lose anyway, they genuniely do seem deluded and I wouldn't blame any manager for saying anything.

If Norwich had have spent millions upon millions, were on a losing streak, and in the lower half of the table and Smith was criticiizing their fans for being upset with that scenario then it would be comparable to Bruce criticizing Villa fans, they've sold their best players, hardly spent any money, have players out injured, have other big names that have been out of form since before Smith went there, he's doing a reasonable job having them top six.

I rate Aaron Ramsey highly as a prospect, but the fact that he's their third most creative player as an U19 in his first season at that level probably tells us something about the rest of their squad, it really isn't that good, if they were to sack Smith now it could even enhance his reputation, as it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them drop into midtable if they did sack him.

I can agree on that mate. The quality of the teams in the championship this season has been really poor. Even bloee looking half decent and in witha  shout with play offs with a poor ti average team.

He should be doing better for what he has in my opinion

You didn't have to be Nostradamus to see him failing there. Called it out as a shit decision at the time. After spending half a year as whipping boys, he was never getting much patience if he didn't do brilliantly in the second season

Disgruntled fans called for Smith's dismissal during the game and the Norwich head coach told BBC Radio Norfolk: "I think a lot of them have been waiting for this period to happen, or wanting it to - I don't know.

"A narrative's been set about it not being good football, despite us having the second or third highest shots in the league.

"Football's about opinions and sometimes you can't change that. Fortunately our next game's away from home because you feel like we have to score two very quick goals at home to get people on our side at the moment.

Imagine that was said by a whole host of our formers managers. We'd hound them out and rightfully so. He'll be talking about shutting a few up after their next win with that kind of bunker mentality. 

Small heath will be nowhere near the play-offs come the end of the season, Championship might not be great quality, but that doesn't change the fact that Norwich's squad itself isn't great, and it's certainly nowhere near good enough that their fans have the right to be demanding much better than what they're doing now, they're only two points off Watford who have much better players.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Imagine that was said by a whole host of our formers managers. We'd hound them out and rightfully so. He'll be talking about shutting a few up after their next win with that kind of bunker mentality. 

Yeah it doesn’t reflect well. Only a matter of time before he is sacked.

Â