Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

His whole coaching staff doesn’t have the same positive good feel vibe of the JT days. 

Your bang on here. I've no doubt Shakespere has upset Ming's and co. It's the coaching staff who are gonna get Deano the sack if we don't go on a run from here.

Really starting to feel Smith never had the ability, there's no doubt in my mind he depends 110% on good coaching staff, an at the moment, they are not doing it.

Koeman would be a dream, but I do think Terry will be seriously considered.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alex7783 said:

Let’s think about this logically:

1) We lost our best player for the last 20 years

2) £100m doesn’t touch the sides when it comes to replacing a player like Grealish

3) The PL is rigged in favour of the media’s preferred clubs and as much as we bitch and moan, we aren’t one of those clubs and never will be - we aren’t in London or the North West.

4) Who can we attract that is better than Dean - no-one.

The best shot we have is to stick with Dean, bring through the kids and accept that we are a mid table premiership team and the game is rigged so we have to stay there.

Unfortunately the closest teams like us are allowed to get to the big time is being proud that we developed the players that go on to win the CL with Man City, Chelsea and Newcastle next. 

Modern football is f**ked!

What is our style of play?

Why do our midfield do impressions of statues rather than making space for themselves to receive the ball?

Where has the fight gone?

Where has the team spirit gone?

Yes he has been unlucky but the last 4 losses he has to take some responsibility for.

I don't see how he turns this round unfortunately.

• Like 1

The most disappointing part in all this is the absolutely clueless look on Dean's face when it all falls apart. As if he doesn't understand what he's looking at.

His goose is cooked, but as I said in the match thread I don't want him gone just for the sake of it, we need a real experienced tactician lined up first. Do not want any young managers earning their stripes, we've seen enough of that shit over the last 10 years to last us a lifetime.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Sacking the manager after a frustrating start will not help. 

It's not just about this season though. Barring a few games there's a lot of evidence stretching back to 2019 of how poor we look under him when Grealish isn't playing.

• Like 2

If we bet the future of this much shouted about Aston Villa "back where we belong" project on a novice coach like JT or Stevie Gee, my opinion of the ambitions of our owners will plummet.

I'd rather stick with Smith than roll the dice on a rookie. 

3 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

The notion of sacking Dean because we are having a sticky period is nonsense for me. Plenty of fight shown today in very adverse circumstances. Players need to stop making individual errors.

I thought we were very poor with 11 men - dreadful performance - he needs to go - enough is enough ffs 

Something is not right. This is more than just a poor run of form, I really think CP may act as this has been a rotten 2021 and we can’t allow ourselves to be sucked into a relegation battle.

8 wins in our last 29 league games does not make for pleasant reading, and now we’re leaking goals - we’ve conceded 3 goals in 4 of the 10 games this season and obviously 4 today.

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

What is our style of play?

Why do our midfield do impressions of statues rather than making space for themselves to receive the ball?

Where has the fight gone?

Where has the team spirit gone?

Yes he has been unlucky but the last 4 losses he has to take some responsibility for.

I don't see how he turns this round unfortunately.

I think your missing my point

It doesn’t matter who is manager - the league is rigged to protect the favoured clubs. 
we are not one of those clubs and the football world knows it - we are therefore never going to be able to attract top managers in the same way we can’t attract top players.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I’m not angry this evening despite that absolute shambles, I’m sad. I’ve doubted Smith for a long long time, I stayed quiet about it in part because I wanted it to work so so much.

There is no escaping it though, it isn’t working. In the absence of Grealish the truth is it has never really worked and for the money spent we absolutely should be better than this.

People will say the new players haven’t had a chance to make an impact, that is true to a degree.

I don’t think Smith can turn this around and I’m not convinced the players are still behind him. Even if he can turn it around I don’t think he is capable of taking us where we want to go.

I take no pleasure in saying it but for me his departure looks inevitable now. That makes me sad because he is clearly a good guy, he is one of us and he has brought us some incredible highs and I’ll always thank him and love him for those but people are kidding themselves if they think he is remotely close to a top manager.

Pretty much sums up my feeling. Smith is a nice guy but will never be a top manager 

Â