Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think you're correct. 

I think we'll take at least seven points from those four though.

Not sure, West ham will beat us as will Brighton. Think we will beat Southampton and draw vs Palace. 

Shocking performance from Dean and the team, but some of the whinging is embarrassing, this is a 10-12 place team maybe better with some luck. We'll have performances and results like this over the season. We'll also win games we don't expect to too.

Inconsistent, ups and downs, this should be another season of consolidation, and trying to break the top 10. Some perspective is needed some times.

As much as the formation needs resolving quick thats up to Smith 

However, we seem to have a number of players that struggle with basics...passing...moving....finding space.

We are very reactive rather than pro active...never win a second ball on our or oppo box..never force players in to mistakes or press.

Smith is without grealish this year so it will take a bit of time...he gave the oppo something to think about which at this level is crucial...arsenal were not worried one bit tonight...even when we looked better 

Edited by Bazmonkey
Spelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I generally agree, I just don't think the owners will be that knee jerk, based on the backing they gave him at a couple of points in 19/20.

Current standard of performance isn't going to be winning us many games though. Looks like the Hause header at OT will be highlight of season (and Everton second half).

I  just wonder despite the investment put in that they aren't ruthless enough. And unfortunately we won't get anywhere with that attitude from the top. Too loyal.

The longer he keeps not winning the more the fans will turn. Maybe that will force him out.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think you're correct. 

I think we'll take at least seven points from those four though.

We only got 3 points from those fixtures home and away last season (and Southampton battered us second half down there).

West Ham generally isn't a great match up for us with their physical team so that's looking draw at best especially if our standard of performance dosen't improve significantly.

Going to be a bit of pressure on Southampton away. If we don't win that either it wouldn't be a comfortable two week break for DS.

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

Just to be perfectly clear, as wrong as I think he got it tonight, and as much as I disagree with 3-5-2, to sack Dean Smith now would be absolute f***ing bonkers. The man has been absolutely brilliant for us, and has earned the right not to worry about his job security after a few weeks of disappointing football. Have some freaking perspective, please. 

Great nothing to worry about then . Putin is great for Russia

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree with everything in that comment apart from ‘Dead man walking’…I don’t think he’s close at all to being sacked, I just don’t.  Everything else is spot on in your comment, it was dogshit!

Nick, his record without Grealish is terrible. Lost 5/9 this season after spending £350m. The owners will not be accepting of that. They just won’t. Lose to West Ham he is gone in my view. We have been awful this year so far (2021).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Considering the shite we've had over the years from Bruce, Lambert, McLeish, Sherwood...to be saying this about Smith right now is so **** ridiculous I can hardly believe it. What a fan. 

If you actually bothered to watch the game tonight you'd see the performance was as bad if not worse than anything seen under those managers. Certainly the 1st half was.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

I  just wonder despite the investment put in that they aren't ruthless enough. And unfortunately we won't get anywhere with that attitude from the top. Too loyal.

The longer he keeps not winning the more the fans will turn. Maybe that will force him out.

According to a few on here Purslow was really fighting to keep DS in a job at a couple of points in 19/20. I do think eventually owners will say enough is enough but they've probably seen all the disruption from pre season and injuries so far and they'll give him another month at least. We win two of next four and he's back on safe ground.

Didn't like his defence of the wolves loss, and he is clearly on thin ice after THAT performance. But I will give him plenty of time to adjust after Jack, this will be a season of midtable at best. Anyone demanding more I believe is being unreasonable. 

Just now, Blasterpocket68 said:

Great nothing to worry about then . Putin is great for Russia

I’m sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me. I have no idea what you’re trying to say, or how any of that relates to what I wrote. 

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Nick, his record without Grealish is terrible. Lost 5/9 this season after spending £350m. The owners will not be accepting of that. They just won’t. Lose to West Ham he is gone in my view. We have been awful this year so far (2021).

No chance mate imo.

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If you actually bothered to watch the game tonight you'd see the performance was as bad if not worse than anything seen under those managers. Certainly the 1st half was.

Tonight was dreadful, but if it makes some fans want us to lose more games to force out a manager who's turned us around and brought us up from the Champiponship to a comfortable mid table team, well, I'd much rather those fans **** off than Smith, personally.

Tonight wasn't good enough, neither was Wolves, but if anyone seriously thinks where we currently are in general is along the lines of the Lambert/Sherwood era, they need to stick a hose in their ears and wash out the shit they have for brains.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So true. The Ings signing has completely derailed us. It didn’t need to happen at all. And before anyone says we needed a second striker, I agree, we did, but did we need one for 25m on 120k a week?

I don’t really understand this. If we need a second striker then he must be as good as or almost as good as the first striker, or what’s the point? A cheap crap second striker is pointless. The problem for me is trying to play them both in every game. Look at the talent the top teams have on their bench every week. I’m not saying they can’t play together in some games, but in a lot of games the impact of bringing on a top striker can make a big difference. If we want to be a top club playing in Europe then we have to think like one. Dean has to stop this experiment and the three at the back experiment before it’s too late. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Ings signing welcome as it is, screams for me now as a possible Purslow deal more than a Lange deal - Can’t blame Smith for wanting another goal scorer but is looking I’ll thought out 

Ashley Young as well - I mean why ? 

My concern is the lack of a clear direction, which is something I always thought we had. We were supposedly trying to sign Smith Rowe to play alongside Grealish and Buendia, with all 3 behind Watkins, which makes sense. But now we’ve signed Ings, which seems to have completely scuppered everything.

He’s a great player to have in the squad, but we needed a young striker who could be an understudy to Watkins. Instead we’re left with having to try and shoehorn both of them in, which isn’t working at all.

It all feels a bit disjointed, and I’m definitely getting the feeling that Smith relied so heavily on Terry and O’Kelly that he can’t get things to gel with the new coaching team just yet. Our shit injury record so far this season hasn’t helped either, but we have to start pushing on now.

It’s a worry when teams like Crystal Palace, who have a new manager and 54 new players, actually look more settled than us.

Â