Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Just to be perfectly clear, as wrong as I think he got it tonight, and as much as I disagree with 3-5-2, to sack Dean Smith now would be absolute f***ing bonkers. The man has been absolutely brilliant for us, and has earned the right not to worry about his job security after a few weeks of disappointing football. Have some freaking perspective, please. 

Ranari won Leicester the league, can't get much better than that, plenty of credit you would have thought. Lose games, you need to start worrying about your job, no room for sentiment, don't matter who you are.

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm the same. Always been pro Smith but couldn't believe it when I saw lineup that a) playing 352 against Arsenal b) Tuanzebe hadn't got the boot

I’m in complete agreement 

Anyway I’m done for tonight, going to do something more cheerful than continue to be depressed on here

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I’m rubbish at predictions I give you that. I didn’t think Jack was going because I didn’t believe there was a release clause, I don’t think we would’ve let him go otherwise but yes I was very wrong there.  I don’t think they’ll get rid of Smith, I just don’t.

I’m a pretty strong fan of Smith and normally want to keep managers longer than owners do. But I have this feeling that it’s going to be a shock sacking after the next 4-6 games if we don’t improve.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Tonight was dreadful, but if it makes some fans want us to lose more games to force out a manager who's turned us around and brought us up from the Champiponship to a comfortable mid table team, well, I'd much rather those fans **** off than Smith, personally.

Tonight wasn't good enough, neither was Wolves, but if anyone seriously thinks where we currently are in general is along the lines of the Lambert/Sherwood era, they need to stick a hose in their ears and wash out the shit they have for brains.

That's always it, you and others will always argue where he's taken us from but don't see the bigger picture.

He's tactically limited and not going to do anything with this team, it's obvious, and now our style of play is frickin awful too so he hasn't even got that to fall back on. 

I've just had enough of him and don't think he can move us forward. If you don't agree fine, but I think it's pretty obvious he can't take us any further. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t really understand this. If we need a second striker then he must be as good as or almost as good as the first striker, or what’s the point? A cheap crap second striker is pointless. The problem for me is trying to play them both in every game. Look at the talent the top teams have on their bench every week. I’m not saying they can’t play together in some games, but in a lot of games the impact of bringing on a top striker can make a big difference. If we want to be a top club playing in Europe then we have to think like one. Dean has to stop this experiment and the three at the back experiment before it’s too late. 

We could have brought a 2nd striker who might feasibly form a partnership with our existing striker.  We brought one - whilst a good player in his own right always looked unlikely to be able to play alongside OW. Its one or the other - long term both can't stay at the club. 

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

I’m a pretty strong fan of Smith and normally want to keep managers longer than owners do. But I have this feeling that it’s going to be a shock sacking after the next 4-6 games if we don’t improve.

I don’t unless they have an awesome manager lined up and not a Potter type but somebody real top notch and then it would be done.  Other than that I don’t think Smith is going anywhere any time soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm the same. Always been pro Smith but couldn't believe it when I saw lineup that a) playing 352 against Arsenal b) Tuanzebe hadn't got the boot

Same here as well.

Its obvious to 99% of fans, I’m surprised Smith is sticking with it. Especially as last season our back 4 was our strong point and we still have the same players.

Dean got it wrong and i mean its he got it wrong but i think he is not bruce and will change he showed in the game that he will and so for that lets just see what happens now i think we might see the change and maybe that will mean one of the strikers dropped.

I think hesitancy and over thinking are his biggest issues tbh. Far too hesitant to change immediately when things are going tits up which is why we seldom recover in games. 

I think analytically he sees the same shit everyone does but spends far too long procrastinating until it's too late

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I don’t unless they have an awesome manager lined up and not a Potter type but somebody real top notch and then it would be done.  Other than that I don’t think Smith is going anywhere any time soon.

If CP & NSWE believe Smith is the wrong man for the job they need to sack him. They can't be second guessing themselves about a potential replacement. Clubs change managers all the time and it is Purslow's job, with the help of others to ensure the get the right replacement. Saying we shouldn't sack Smith because we mightn't find better is complete BS. I am not saying sack Smith, I am saying if the time comes when Purslow believes he is not the right man for the job then he needs to go

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

And finding space and moving? Are they also things we should not be coaching our players?

That's both but at the same time its still really basic, the infuriating thing is that's been a Villa problem for seemingly years, maybe since MON, not sure why it's such a problem for us, part fitness part laziness part coaching maybe part confidence, we don't show enough 

Said in the match thread there was a moment where Bailey made a run down the wing, got stood up and McGinn and Cash just stood and watched him, ings in the middle was static vs 2 CBs... Who do you blame there? Ings and McGinn should in theory play at a level and have that quality where they know better, cash infuriatingly for me didn't stick or twist, didn't show back down the line or try and overlap, cash I would put down to confidence which seem to be really low right now he's had a bad start to the season for me, mcginn I would put down to a mixture of fitness and not actually being very good but ings I honestly don't know because he has that movement and awareness in him, maybe at 3-0 down he couldn't be bothered 

Â