Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Is Suso the real deal? or just another Paddy Riley.

He’s mad some big transfers in the last at Valencia and At. Madrid. 

You can see some of the players he signed this summer will rise in stock down the years. We just signed too many who just aren’t ready for the step up to this league. 

He is highly respected in the game. Either way, we need to trust him to get the right ones in this time round and sadly, quickly. 

And as Kiwi said above, PR signed good players, the sherwood picks were the issue that season (along with many other issues I’ve deleted from my brain). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Current values 

Gueye €30m

Traore €28m

Veretout €25m

Amavi €11m

Surrounded by shit but super important "PL experience"

None of these guys except for arguably Gueye were rated super highly by us when we had them either. They developed into the players they are now after leaving us, not with us. We didn't really make any profit on anyone on that list because of it. And I fear we the same might happen to us again this season.

Signing PL experience isn't a bad idea. You want relatively smaller risks to go along with your punts so that you can provide time for your punts to develop. We went the right way with Heaton, known quantity, low risk, low fees and we probably needed to make a couple more Heaton-esque signings. Had we done so in the 15-16 season, we might not have gotten relegated and we would've benefitted largely from the foreign imports we brought in. I think if we go down, some of the blame has to go to Suso for not buying more known quantities with the riskier gambles.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Signing PL experience isn't a bad idea

High proportion of PL experienced players we've bought since MON era have been dogshit. Usually well past their sell by date and on stupid money and/or contracts. I'd say the majority of better players over the years are from foreign leagues. Carew Bouma Benteke McGinn Laursen Mellberg, some would say Petrov but always thought he was rubbish in too many games.

Also saying the players I listed didn't develop or make make money with us isn't the fault of Paddy Riley is it? He spotted good talent or whoever did that was working for him and that talent was mismanaged. I was responding to comparison of Suso to Paddy Riley implying both bad at bringing in talent

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

Speaking to Atleti fans they are not that fussed by him. His record was pretty mixed in general. Hit and miss.

Aguero, Forlan, Godin, Filipe Luis, Diego Costa, Juanfran. Some of them are club legends and have led them in one of the greatest period in the club history

• Like 2

I think what we’re seeing is a good talent spotter. The issue is our predicament, though. We are in crisis and desperately need instant impact players, not ones that need long term nurturing to reach potential.

Its a different test and much more difficult operating conditions. Come through this, though, and deliver and he’ll be much the better for it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Aguero, Forlan, Godin, Filipe Luis, Diego Costa, Juanfran. Some of them are club legends and have led them in one of the greatest period in the club history

Yes but for everyone of them there were two duds. He is regarded as a bit of a joke unfortunately... if you look at the list and where he signed him them from, there are not too many players that were unearthed by him. Most were already well established. His time at the club is not looked at fondly. He also left Valencia in a mess too. 

2 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

Yes but for everyone of them there were two duds. He is regarded as a bit of a joke unfortunately... if you look at the list and where he signed him them from, there are not too many players that were unearthed by him. Most were already well established. His time at the club is not looked at fondly. He also left Valencia in a mess too. 

He left Valencia the same time as Rafa, he left them with a title and UEFA Cup. new sporting director hired Ranieri and a lot of Italian players and it went downhill.

Took 2 seasons at Atletico to get into the Champions League, they never once looked like qualifying since they won the league in the 90s. Also won the Europa League during this time as well and built the foundations that Simeone has built on

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Didiersix said:

Yeah, looks like only Aguero and Costa came from outside Spain. Both great signings but without listing all of his signings it’s very difficult to judge.

I guess it’s difficult to judge anyway as we don’t know who proposed certain signings. I do think this is an appointment that we have to judge on whether or not we trust the board.

Using hindsight, last summer was a bit of a disappointment. It was almost inevitable a lot wouldn’t settle quickly with the amount of players we had to sign. 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He left Valencia the same time as Rafa, he left them with a title and UEFA Cup. new sporting director hired Ranieri and a lot of Italian players and it went downhill.

Took 2 seasons at Atletico to get into the Champions League, they never once looked like qualifying since they won the league in the 90s. Also won the Europa League during this time as well and built the foundations that Simeone has built on

I don't think many Atleti fans perceive it that way, that he built the foundations for Simeone. But anyway, I think for most of us Villa fans the jury is definitely out at present. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Southgate!? He has the same win rate as Roy Hodgson, and has a far superior squad playing against mainly very poor opposition.

There are very few lessons to be drawn from his plodding, mediocre management of England, apart from how to get fawning press coverage.

This wasn’t the point I was making.

But to address your post, perhaps one lesson from Southgates England is recognising the importance of set pieces and drilling the arse out of it to great effect.

Edited by thunderball

11 minutes ago, thunderball said:

This wasn’t the point I was making.

But to address your post, perhaps one lesson from Southgates England is recognising the importance of set pieces and drilling the arse out of it to great effect.

I know you were making a point about set pieces, but as far as I can see, Southgate’s England are only good on set pieces against garbage teams.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

High proportion of PL experienced players we've bought since MON era have been dogshit. Usually well past their sell by date and on stupid money and/or contracts. I'd say the majority of better players over the years are from foreign leagues. Carew Bouma Benteke McGinn Laursen Mellberg, some would say Petrov but always thought he was rubbish in too many games.

Also saying the players I listed didn't develop or make make money with us isn't the fault of Paddy Riley is it? He spotted good talent or whoever did that was working for him and that talent was mismanaged. I was responding to comparison of Suso to Paddy Riley implying both bad at bringing in talent

Yep. I’m so sick of seeing this “PL experience” BS.

The only players we could have signed that fit into that category would be over the hill, overpaid and just not good enough. Lescott & Richards anyone???

The only decent players with PL experience would command astronomically high fees & wages and they wouldn’t leave for a less successful and newly promoted team anyway...  

You just need good, quality players. You have to question the scouting and ability to find and integrate players properly.

Look at Wolves for instance, how many players with Prem experience did they sign?

Ok, they might have had some dodgy dealings but they got players of the necessary quality in (as well as a “compatible” manager). Unfortunately, they have been doing very well and we look poor next to them...

We just have to find the right quality and integrate those players as well as possible. 

If we’re looking back, I don’t think it was Riley who was responsible for dross like Lescott, Richards, Gestede and others...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's our average spend per player in the market? 10m? That's why we likely go down. Budget per player not being big enough due to having to sign so many players. Signing some dross due to it.

Edited by Bugzy1991
  • Like 2

So in all fairness he has now signed 3 (4 inc. Barry?) players in 2 weeks. 

It's not that bad. It's also not Suso's fault the manager simply wouldn't use Kodjia in the Premier League. 

The guy deserves a bit of slack, IMO. 

Edit - especially considering his success last January. It only took the one signing, but what a signing. And I maintain that he did OK in the summer despite really testing conditions. We didn't "do a Fulham"

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bugzy1991 said:

What's our average spend per player in the market? 10m? That's why we likely go down. Budget per player not being big enough due to having to sign so many players. Signing some dross due to it.

What was he expected to do. Sign 6 20million players and us struggling to fill out the bench weekly 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What was he expected to do. Sign 6 20million players and us struggling to fill out the bench weekly 

He probably thinks Glenn Whelan could have done a job for us in Premiership @Zatman :D

The same guy just released by Hearts as couldn't hack Scottish Premiership!!!

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thank you. I sometimes feel like I'm speaking into a void defending Suso on the internet. 

Most of his signing have done OK. Nakamba not quite being ready has let him down, should have signed a more experienced player in the middle. Should have got Drinkwater on loan in August, probably. 

I expect they tried hard for another striker in the summer, that's the accepted wisdom at least, but the guy had to sign an entire squad. He had a lot on to be fair to him. 

• Like 1

Â