Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

Don't mind Baston as an emergency body last minute to be honest. We know it's hard to get deals done in January.

Lord knows what's gone on with Chester. I presume there's a recall option if we get an injury? If not, it's just foolish. We can't be loaning out players we might need around the squad just because it's the "right" thing to do, survival or relegation will shape the next 5+ years for us.

The summer is when Suso made a mess, or priorities were messed up, don't know what happened and how we've ended up in this position. We obviously got mugged into buying Wes, someone made a killing there. So much more quality available for the money spent.

I want him replaced even if we stay up. The whole system needs to come into the 21st century. Not Suso and his two pals watching as much as they can and asking agents who to sign.

Dean has performed a miracle if we stay up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

What's the point in having a Sporting Director if he can only muster up Borja **** Baston. 

18 hours ago, terrytini said:

In pretty much 6 months we’ve got Heaton, Reina, Guilbert, Targett, Konsa, Mings, Engels, Hause, Luiz, Nakamba, Jota, Trezuget, El Ghazi, Wesley, Samatta and Drinkwater.

Some have done better than others for sure, but it’s recruitment made under difficult circumstances and with what seems to be at least some sort of coherent thought in it.

And held on to Jack and McGinn.

Pretty much each of which has cost a sizeable sum in wages or fees or both. Each of whom would’ve had offers from elsewhere. 
Most of whom have then had baptisms of fire in the toughest League.

• Like 1

The main thing that's pee'd me off today is Brentford buying Baptiste and Fosu for £3m and Norwich signing Sam McCallum for probably less than £6m.

Maybe not Fosu, but Baptiste and McCallum will be worth over £10m each in two years.

Hopefully he's just lining all up his plans for the future and got derailed by urgent first team needs. Barry has obviously come from the academy director, Suso hasn't gone and found him.

17 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It was a free transfer.

How much money do you think the owners gave him to work with?

No issue with Baston on a free with 4 hours left in a hard window to buy in.

He spent £22m on Wesley. Error.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Bigger teams than us couldn't get a striker over the line in January yet we got 2 

United had to resort to Ighalo who people would have been fuming about if we signed

This is a great point although the word ‘bigger’ is upsetting ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In fairness we have made some strange last minute signings. Tom Carroll and now Borja. Not expecting much and I guess it’s more of a case of a body has come in. Should we stay up I’d imagine this summer we will recruit more quality as opposed to quantity. Sad to see Chester leave though with no replacement, there is doing the right thing but also potential sabotage. We’ve been sort in the past and it wasn’t pretty. 

7 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Sad to see Chester leave though with no replacement, there is doing the right thing but also potential sabotage.

He's not played for the first team in a league match in 41 games plus the finals. I think people are really exaggerating on this. Compare this with the slagging that Taylor gets who was a mainstay in our unbeaten run in the Championship and finals and played in the wins against Everton and Burnley. It beggars belief for me

• Like 3

Really good video imo of the realities of the transfer window and the difficulties of making signings. I watched this after an 11 minute ESPN FC video where they were absolutely incredulous over the Ighalo signing but some were saying this is the reality of attracting players in the January window

• Like 1

The signings this window make sense. It's absolutely obvious we are restricted from spending due to FFP, so I won't go batshit over the signing of a championship reject. 

Pitarch has not disappointed or impressed so far. I'll give him another year I reckon. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I thought this thread would be a mad house. I was not wrong.

I agree there seems to be generally reasoned and balanced views expressed in here. It’s often what you do when things are difficult and results are not spectacular that makes the biggest difference when looked back with hindsight. I think Suso and the club have done a professional job in difficult circumstances. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bigger teams than us couldn't get a striker over the line in January yet we got 2 

United had to resort to Ighalo who people would have been fuming about if we signed

Exactly. 

3 weeks ago we didn't have a striker at the club, now we have Borja, Sammata, Davis and hopefully Wesley will come back stronger. On top of that if we do manage to stay up who's to say we won't bring in a really top class forward?

Contrary to what some have claimed, we are in a far healthier position than we were 3 weeks ago, so from that perspective you have to consider the window to have been a successful one. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The signings this window make sense. It's absolutely obvious we are restricted from spending due to FFP, 

Our plans were also no doubt affected by the injuries to Wesley, Heaton and McGinn. 

Â