Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

If we'd have got the points our performances warranted early in the season we'd be knocking around with about 9 more points. This shitish run would therefore be worrying but as we'd only need another 3 wins we'd be OK. As it is we f'ed up early on and are paying for it now. 

8 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

If we'd have got the points our performances warranted early in the season we'd be knocking around with about 9 more points. This shitish run would therefore be worrying but as we'd only need another 3 wins we'd be OK. As it is we f'ed up early on and are paying for it now. 

That’s typical of buying a whole new squad and having to get them playing as a team. Compare with Sheffield United who have had a stable manager and squad for a while. 

35 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Hilarious reading this thread and comparing it to the summer transfer thread where many were saying what great signings we’d made and were predicting a top 10 finish. 

Ah the magic of hindsight eh?

It always happens. 

The young and hungry summer of lambert was claimed to be genius. And then we watched them play. 

35 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Hilarious reading this thread and comparing it to the summer transfer thread where many were saying what great signings we’d made and were predicting a top 10 finish. 

Ah the magic of hindsight eh?

Carbon copy of the 2015/2016  season.

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Carbon copy of the 2015/2016  season.

Completely agree. That 2015/16 transfer window had us all pissing our pants with '#WelcomeJordan' and 'buy all the Jordans'. There are some frightening parallels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Aston_Villa_F.C._season#In

Gestede is Wesley. Gueye is Douglas. We even got to talk about a buyback clause with Douglas like we did with Adama in 2015 and our issues with firepower following Benteke's departure. Oh and we had a disappointing January window in 2016, too.

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
Quoted text from wiki had formatting issues

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

The irony is that quite a lot of the players we signed in 2015 went on to become good players for other clubs. 

Same thing will happen with a lot of the players we've got in now. There's a player in Douglas like there was in Gueye, for example.

I wonder if Wesley will turn into the new Gestede and go to Middlesborough only to be linked with us again in several years by some prank VillaReport Twitter account?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Could just be that a lot of new signings take time to become a good ‘team’ regardless of the coach?

Not exactly.

It's the strategy. Sign a number of 'talented' players but not having the required mix of experience and quality players to help them. As a result you're throwing too many young, inexperienced, still developing, still adjusting players into the deep end.

It just doesn't work.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The irony is that quite a lot of the players we signed in 2015 went on to become good players for other clubs. 

That's not irony.  That's what will happen to young players, they get better :lol:  

There's no big secret that the secret to getting better at something is practice, Villa just don't afford that time to the players.  And it's indicative of getting new managers who want their own players every 18 months, they get rid of the players who are perceived to be rubbish in order to sign their own players and those players usually go on to better things. 

That's why really, even if we go down we should stick with Smith and stick with as many of these players as is possible (bar Jack who'll be off) and maybe El Ghazi who a promoted team will probably look at his numbers and figure he's worth a punt as he enters his mid-20s. 

But fans have an input.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not exactly.

It's the strategy. Sign a number of 'talented' players but not having the required mix of experience and quality players to help them. As a result you're throwing too many young, inexperienced, still developing, still adjusting players into the deep end.

It just doesn't work.

The optimist in me doesn't want to agree with this but it's spot on. You could rephrase Hansen's 'you don't win anything with kids' to 'you don't win anything with a squad replete with players who have never played in this league before'. Not catchy but accurate. Maybe some players with lower technical abilities but with more experience and grit would have helped embed the newer guys?

Does anyone have the stat for how many PL games our squad had played, in total, before this season kicked off? If you exclude Heaton, it must've been v low? An all-time low perhaps?

3 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The optimist in me doesn't want to agree with this but it's spot on. You could rephrase Hansen's 'you don't win anything with kids' to 'you don't win anything with a squad replete with players who have never played in this league before'. Not catchy but accurate. Maybe some players with lower technical abilities but with more experience and grit would have helped embed the newer guys?

Does anyone have the stat for how many PL games our squad had played, in total, before this season kicked off? If you exclude Heaton, it must've been v low? An all-time low perhaps?

Jack Grealish is our most experience Premier League outfield player, says it all.

We've repeated the same mistakes of 2015 this season. Must be addressed this month at all costs.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not exactly.

It just doesn't work.

the problem being that the experienced players that are available are the likes of drinkwater

we needed a PL striker who could guarantee us 15 goals this season...good luck with that suso, Wilson was quoted at £80m?

I agree that we needed some older heads but they wouldn't be from other PL teams and they almost definitely wouldn't be English so how much experience they have and how capable theyd be of hitting the ground running would still be up for debate

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the problem being that the experienced players that are available are the likes of drinkwater

we needed a PL striker who could guarantee us 15 goals this season...good luck with that suso, Wilson was quoted at £80m?

I agree that we needed some older heads but they wouldn't be from other PL teams and they almost definitely wouldn't be English so how much experience they have and how capable theyd be of hitting the ground running would still be up for debate

Best we can hope for striker wise this month is someone like Robbie Keane to come in and give the PL one last bash at 30+. 

Anyone under 30 is gonna be historically shit, or a gamble from the Championship or below.  There's going to be a lot of unhappy people on Feb 1st.  Unless we Darren Bent it, but I can't see that happening. 

Drinkwater for example, is 29 and has 200 PL apps... Rashford has that already and is only 4. 

What DrPangloss said is right, we needed experience in the summer, more so than young legs, but that wasn't what the management team wanted to do, so y'know. 

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not exactly.

It just doesn't work.

Agree, it is all well and good having "projects" and the young and hungry approach, but you need some nous and experience and game management on the pitch to bring it all together when the going gets tough. The PL is a harsh league and punishes you for most mistakes, and I feel our players heads have gone to a certain extent. Even the Man Utd "You won't win anything with Kids" team had a core of senior winners alongside them to pick them up after the set backs they had.

30 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Same parallel decent players just poor coaching 

I don't think this is true at all. We had one or two good players, but the team as a whole was awful. Richards/Lescott were both liabilities. Gestede was not a prem striker. I remember Richards being responsible for half our goals conceded by November. I've forced myself to forget everything else.

The point I'm trying to make though is that we had a bad team with one or two good players. That's the first parallel I'd make to this season. This season we had to buy a lot of players though just to have a squad—and even after all that we're still seeing the likes of Elmohamady, Taylor, Hourihane and Lansbury featuring—it was always going to be a big ask. Captain hindsight makes it easy to point fingers at the players we shouldn't have signed, but that's what Captain hindsight does. Losing McGinn hasn't helped at all.

Edited by praisedmambo

Â