Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

50 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Could just be that a lot of new signings take time to become a good ‘team’ regardless of the coach?

Ok can you hand on heart tell me that another pl club would take DS on? I think he’s a mess d level championship coach that’s become apparent. No changes at HT 4-0 down at home was disgusting and if I was owner I’d have sacked him at FT. A complete joke, a nice guy but woefully out of his depth now

Smith is often referenced to as the Head Coach rather than the Manager and it is this that leads me to believe he isn't the one signing these players from foreign leagues.
With that being the case, f*** off Pitarch. 

Edited by Delphinho123

5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Ok can you hand on heart tell me that another pl club would take DS on? I think he’s a mess d level championship coach that’s become apparent. No changes at HT 4-0 down at home was disgusting and if I was owner I’d have sacked him at FT. A complete joke, a nice guy but woefully out of his depth now

TBF, and to bring this thread back to Suso, who did DS have on the bench that would have made a difference yesterday? HT was about damage limitation. I'd proffer that the whole set up yesterday was about damage limitation because the squad is down to the bare bones atm. 

• Like 2

For the money spent, the amount of players we had to bring in and the complete rebuild I don't think we have performed too badly. A lot of these players could go either way - and £10m in today's market are punts more often than not.

The failure has been not getting 1 or 2 more senior experienced heads in, a wheel and deal here and there.
That is what has cost us.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Lambert got another PL job after embarrassing us. Hughes, Pardew and Bruce keep getting hired so he might still 

Pretty much our only succesful transfer window in the last ten years as come while Pitarch as been at the club, that being the January transfer window of last year. Transfer windows previous to that we'd sign plenty of players that people would get excited about but it never translated to success on the pitch quite the opposite in fact, at least this guy was in charge of recruitment when we actually achieved something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Lambert got another PL job after embarrassing us. Hughes, Pardew and Bruce keep getting hired so he might still 

These men are 'old football': the sorts of managers who talk about players 'looking right', having 'hunger', being 'up for it', etc etc. While this isn't a defence, the only reason they continue to get employed is because of how shite football philosophy is in this country. 

Unfortunately for DS, I don't think he speaks like these men. Maybe that's a bad thing?

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

For the money spent, the amount of players we had to bring in and the complete rebuild I don't think we have performed too badly. A lot of these players could go either way - and £10m in today's market are punts more often than not.

The failure has been not getting 1 or 2 more senior experienced heads in, a wheel and deal here and there.
That is what has cost us.

I rarely disagree with you but I do here. I think the new players have performed very badly on the whole. A lot of our good performances have come from players who were here last year - Mings, Grealish, McGinn. 
If you look at them as a whole, Luiz, Nakamba, Wesley, Trezeguet, Targett, Jota etc. have been consistently poor. 

I also get that 10m isn't a lot in today's market but that cant be used as an excuse for signing shite. I don't forgive anyone for signing Trezeguet (as an example) just because he was only 10m. You're much better off buying one player at 20m instead of two rubbish ones at 10m. And then there is Wesley at 22m. Sigh. 

Look, we're not down yet but we're over halfway into the season now and I think we've played enough games for us as fans to be able pass judgement on players. My take is that a lot of the players we have signed would struggle in the Championship. They also lack any sort of fight. 

We're absolutely no better than we were as a team last season, probably worse actually, and we've spent £140m. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Smith is often referenced to as the Head Coach rather than the Manager and it is this that leads me to believe he isn't the one signing these players from foreign leagues.

DS doesn’t sign them he has a say but it’s the three of them

43 minutes ago, useless said:

Pretty much our only succesful transfer window in the last ten years as come while Pitarch as been at the club, that being the January transfer window of last year. Transfer windows previous to that we'd sign plenty of players that people would get excited about but it never translated to success on the pitch quite the opposite in fact, at least this guy was in charge of recruitment when we actually achieved something.

I wonder who’s picks were who's though

Edited by Fairy In Boots

34 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That's been made clear from day one numerous times. Even multiple interviews with Smith where he outright says it

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Completely agree. That 2015/16 transfer window had us all pissing our pants with '#WelcomeJordan' and 'buy all the Jordans'. There are some frightening parallels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Aston_Villa_F.C._season#In

Gestede is Wesley. Gueye is Douglas. We even got to talk about a buyback clause with Douglas like we did with Adama in 2015 and our issues with firepower following Benteke's departure. Oh and we had a disappointing January window in 2016, too.

The difference then was our start to the season had been so disastrous that we were effectively already down by January.

I'm not defending the powers that be from back then, they're the reason we went down (coupled with having an absolute charlatan as manager).

But I think they rightly saw that we were unsaveable and ploughing money in to January signings would be pissing money down the drain.

We're very much saveable this season, and we need a couple of signings for that to happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The difference then was our start to the season had been so disastrous that we were effectively already down by January.

I'm not defending the powers that be from back then, they're the reason we went down (coupled with having an absolute charlatan as manager).

But I think they rightly saw that we were unsaveable and ploughing money in to January signings would be pissing money down the drain.

We're very much saveable this season, and we need a couple of signings for that to happen.

Good point. This gives us some reason for optimism...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Gueye is Douglas

Gueye who in the calendar year between Villa and Everton made the most tackles and interceptions of any player in all major European leagues. Surrounded by shite and unappreciated as DMs are by so many football fans because they don't do the fancy stuff. Now at PSG with a tidy profit to Everton

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Gueye who in the calendar year between Villa and Everton made the most tackles and interceptions of any player in all major European leagues. Surrounded by shite and unappreciated as DMs are by so many football fans because they don't do the fancy stuff. Now at PSG with a tidy profit to Everton

and an utterly ridiculous release clause inserting into his contract by the plebs that be back then.
I hope that is not the case this time, I doubt it - things are not good but those were the real dark days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

and an utterly ridiculous release clause inserting into his contract by the plebs that be back then.
I hope that is not the case this time, I doubt it - things are not good but those were the real dark days.

I seem to recall we sold him for a 2m loss

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I rarely disagree with you but I do here. I think the new players have performed very badly on the whole. A lot of our good performances have come from players who were here last year - Mings, Grealish, McGinn. 
If you look at them as a whole, Luiz, Nakamba, Wesley, Trezeguet, Targett, Jota etc. have been consistently poor. 

I also get that 10m isn't a lot in today's market but that cant be used as an excuse for signing shite. I don't forgive anyone for signing Trezeguet (as an example) just because he was only 10m. You're much better off buying one player at 20m instead of two rubbish ones at 10m. And then there is Wesley at 22m. Sigh. 

Look, we're not down yet but we're over halfway into the season now and I think we've played enough games for us as fans to be able pass judgement on players. My take is that a lot of the players we have signed would struggle in the Championship. They also lack any sort of fight. 

We're absolutely no better than we were as a team last season, probably worse actually, and we've spent £140m. 

You just contradicted yourself in one sentence. 

We needed a lot of players, we didn't/don't have an endless pot of money, who would you have signed and how much would you have spent? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You just contradicted yourself in one sentence. 

We needed a lot of players, we didn't/don't have an endless pot of money, who would you have signed and how much would you have spent? 

One decent player. It just so happens that when we tried to do that, we managed to f*** that up too.

I don’t know, but there are hundreds of players throughout Europe that would have been available with the money we had. I’m not saying it’s an easy job, we just managed to get it horribly wrong (IMO). 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

One decent player. It just so happens that when we tried to do that, we managed to f*** that up too.

I don’t know, but there are hundreds of players throughout Europe that would have been available with the money we had. I’m not saying it’s an easy job, we just managed to get it horribly wrong (IMO). 

But that's the thing isn't it?  Proven players probably wouldn't have wanted to have come, unless we offered huge wages, on top of huge transfer fees (£20m doesn't buy you a proven striker anymore) - so we gambled.  Did we buy the right player in Wesley?  Maybe not, but Smith said "I saw a hunger in him to succeed and I liked that" - so Smith saw something in him he wanted to work with. 

As we've said, the biggest regret is not getting someone around 30 (who isn't Drinkwater), with a lot of senior appearances for a team in the top tier.  But I saw hardly anyone complaining on Sept 1st at our transfer dealings, me included. 

It's all hindsight, and I guarantee you, in another 12-18 months, most of the "flops" will be our best players, because they'll have settled. 

We're just watching the transition.  The players we really need to improve on are players like Taylor, who you know won't get any better, or Hourihane, who's physical attributes means he's not going to become any better. 

Players like Trez, El Ghazi, Konsa, Hause and McGinn will become better players with time.  What their ceilings are is another question. 

• Like 2

Â