The NSWE Board

Guest av1

Purslow stated that when we got promoted last year we were a year ahead of schedule ergo if we are relegated this year we will be a year behind schedule. It's his job to manage that so he needs to be taking some action or the owners may also call him to account. 

7 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Back to back wins for Everton since the new manager started. Should tell you something. 

Be brave. 

The Everton squad also cost about 250 million more than our squad. I think people are still not grasping how poor our squad actually is and we couldnt afford to rebuild with top signings

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The board either need to accept that we weren’t really ready to be promoted - and accept probable relegation with Smith, or need to be ruthless and find someone that can keep us up this season. 

It’s a hard one to call because they could change manager and we could still go down, and Smith would probably be the best candidate to get us promoted again.

Unless they can get a top manager like Poch then I think they’d be better off sticking with Smith. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thejoker said:

The board either need to accept that we weren’t really ready to be promoted - and accept probable relegation with Smith, or need to be ruthless and find someone that can keep us up this season. 

It’s a hard one to call because they could change manager and we could still go down, and Smith would probably be the best candidate to get us promoted again.

Unless they can get a top manager like Poch then I think they’d be better off sticking with Smith. 

This one is hard to predict thou because you never know how managers and players react to a poor season and relegation.

It could cause a divide in the squad or between manager and players. They could also lose faith in what they are doing and start second guessing themselves by which point they might be more of a hindrance than an asset.

Getting ahead of ourselves here but a lot can and will happen before the season is over and I expect the board to be pragmatic about this.

That new contract was just silly, strange and poorly timed thou.

The owners should be sat down with the Premier League, finances out, finding out exactly how much money we can spend in January without breaking FFP.

Every single penny should then be invested in the side in January.

We just don't have the players to stay up right now, and we have to change that.

Are they actually that good. Smith was an easy appointment - as a villa fan they new he would jump at the chance and Brentford weren't going to demand mega amounts in compensation.

Theiry Henry was also rumoured to be in contention

Sure they have pumped money in but the football decisions look at a bit ropey.

They paid £22m for Wesley - but provided absolutely no back up should he not perform.

They tried to build a premier ship team - largely with players who had never played in the premiership

With the team hovering above the relegation zone - they gave Smith a 4 year contract.

Sure they have cash - but do they have the nous to run a football club.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

They tried to build a premier ship team - largely with players who had never played in the premiership

This might be the problem, the Premier League is significantly tougher than the Scottish Premiership.

Sorry, I'm a petty git, but it's not been called the Premiership in 12 years :P 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sne said:

This one is hard to predict thou because you never know how managers and players react to a poor season and relegation.

It could cause a divide in the squad or between manager and players. They could also lose faith in what they are doing and start second guessing themselves by which point they might be more of a hindrance than an asset.

Getting ahead of ourselves here but a lot can and will happen before the season is over and I expect the board to be pragmatic about this.

That new contract was just silly, strange and poorly timed thou.

Agreed. Can't say I agree that Smith would be the 'best' candidate to take us back up. Even last season the tactic was 'give the ball to Grealish'. Lest we forget the terrible run we went on when Grealish was out injured, funny how our amazing run coincided with Grealish coming back.

Guess what, Grealish won't be here next season regardless of the division we're in. So we will be left with a squad that has been poorly coached with no discernible identity or set of game plans.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Are they actually that good. Smith was an easy appointment - as a villa fan they new he would jump at the chance and Brentford weren't going to demand mega amounts in compensation.

Theiry Henry was also rumoured to be in contention

Sure they have pumped money in but the football decisions look at a bit ropey.

They paid £22m for Wesley - but provided absolutely no back up should he not perform.

With the team hovering above the relegation zone - they gave Smith a 4 year contract.

Sure they have cash - but do they have the nous to run a football club.

So even the board/owners are bad now, this website has now gone into meltdown.  Time for me to switch off from this site for a while because the only  people left to criticise are ex players....not long to we get to if only Withe had scored two goals in the ‘82 final we would be ok today 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

So even the board/owners are bad now, this website has now gone into meltdown.  Time for me to switch off from this site for a while because the only  people left to criticise are ex players....not long to we get to if only Withe had scored two goals in the ‘82 final we would be ok today 😂😂😂

Well we are at level where the board have to intervene to preserve our PL status. That's either by sourcing a new head coach or some solid players to drag us out of this state.

My suspicion is they will do neither.  .  ...I think that could classed as 'bad'

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Well we are at level where the board have to intervene to preserve our PL status. That's either by sourcing a new head coach or some solid players to drag us out of this state.

My suspicion is they will do neither.  .  ...I think that could classed as 'bad'

Suspicion based on what? What have this board done other than good so far?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

My guess is the suspicion is based on an overall assumption that things can never be good for Villa ( disclaimer - not my belief)

After the last ten years of false dawns can you blame any Villa fan for having this opinion?

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sanctioned Wesley for £22m

Provided no striker back up should Wesley fail 

Give the head coach a 4 year deal when we were marginally above the RZ.

It's only a rumour - but they also considered Theiry Henry for the villa Job.

Just now, MarkLillis said:

My guess is the suspicion is based on an overall assumption that things can never be good for Villa ( disclaimer - not my belief)

After the last ten years of false dawns can you blame any Villa fan for having this opinion?

I was only 5 years old when we won the European Cup so don’t remember it but the years following I do and while there have been some real high points there is more significant low points.  I see your point.  I apologise, I think I have jinxed the Villa for the last 35 years...I know it’s me because I’m also a Knicks fan and they’ve been just as awful over that time.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

When the board has given the manager money to spend, it is not the board's job to sanction or stop the transfer of the players the manager wants to buy. It is basic corporate governance to let the man in charge use the budget he has been given.

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Owners sanctioning who the management want to buy.....how dare they! 😂

Re above about back up striker

Smith 4 year deal...this website was praising it at the time and at the start of the season we all wanted safety as our target and we are still  in contention for that.

Rumour or talking to all candidates or whatever, they still made the right choice at the end which is the main thing and we went from mid table team to promotion and then invested well over 120m in the summer

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

Honeat question. What was your ambition for this season in the summer? 

By your posts you sound like we should be comfortably in the top 10 

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

To be fair he did scuff it off his shin.  Terrible effort really. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

Â