Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

47 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Bit like Hourihane for me. Amazing signing for the money spent. You can’t argue that he has contributed immensely to us considering the shit we’ve had over the last 10 years. However, we are outgrowing him and his ability. Fine for the squad for now but we need better to progress.

That’s exactly it. He is a squad player and only starting due to injuries.  If he was first choice when everyone was fit I’d understand the frustrations. Under the current circumstances he’s still a decent option. 

• Like 3

Happy to have him as a squad player because of the goals he’s scored last season, but would be fine if he was sold because he offers very little else on the pitch when he plays. And we also have Ings now and who will put away pens. Can’t beat a man, doesn’t carry the ball well, tops the league for mis-controlled passes. It’s really frustrating to watch and think the game goes by with us being completely ineffective on whatever side he’s played on. Happy with him being 3rd/4th choice but we’re an injury away or two from him starting. I think this could be his last season with us as we continue to improve our attacking options and he could prove handy to have for cup games this year. 

8E132C45-56FB-4DBD-950F-93A20AE3DBDA.jpeg

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 16:14, Dave-R said:

I wonder what his shots to goals are?? One game last season he were given a shoot on sight policy it seemed and although he did score one it was a game where we just gave him the ball like mad and he'd had over 30 shots I believe.

Again with this.

I keep posting stats proving that his shooting is actually very good.  

Then people will say ‘oh, didn’t realise that.’

Then a week later the same people will say ‘his shooting is terrible.’

7F549319-DF95-4D57-8D66-DA689E173D3E.thumb.jpeg.b4acb5fbc908fe0594907f9cba43f969.jpeg

Edited by Thug
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Jack Grealish (I'm not gonna call him Mike Klubb, because I'm not retarded) scored 29 league goals in 185 apps.

its "Mike Lubb" friend :P , not Mike Klubb.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Thug said:

Again with this.

7F549319-DF95-4D57-8D66-DA689E173D3E.thumb.jpeg.b4acb5fbc908fe0594907f9cba43f969.jpeg

I don't think it's very good but it definitely isn't terrible. What I suspect to be the case is that he takes so many shots from poor positions and as a result so many of them predictably miss completely or are just safely collected by the keeper that he seems like a terrible shot. But when he does get into a good position, he rarely misses. At least, that was the case last season. Could not remember a single sitter he missed.

Its interesting considering the season before El Ghazi was arguably the worst finisher at the club. Which does make me concerned about whether he can maintain his finishing ability into this season. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't think it's very good but it definitely isn't terrible. What I suspect to be the case is that he takes so many shots from poor positions and as a result so many of them predictably miss completely or are just safely collected by the keeper that he seems like a terrible shot. But when he does get into a good position, he rarely misses. 

Its interesting considering the season before El Ghazi was arguably the worst finisher at the club. Which does make me concerned about whether he can maintain his finishing ability into this season. 

Really?

So you’re saying that if there was a 1 on 1 situation - you’d have chosen these players ahead of him?

Neil Taylor

Tyrone Mings

Ezri Konsa

Douglas Luiz

Nakamba

Keinan Davis

Elmo

Thats literally just off the top of my head. Now I’m guessing when you say that you don’t actually mean it - but that’s the problem with this entire thread.  People will exaggerate everything about his flaws, and then even take his strengths and exaggerate them to ridiculous proportions.

I tend to agree with a lot of your posts, but quite honestly ‘the worst finisher at the club’ has to be the most stupid thing I’ve ever read on here considering some of the players listed above.  The saddest part is that I know you didn’t even mean it - but it all just follows the AEG is awful narrative that is pushed on this board.

He’s a limited player that we have outgrown.  But his shooting and finishing is actually pretty good.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Thug said:

Again with this.

He has excellent ball striking technique, as evidenced by his penalty taking ability. But as with Conor Hourihane before him, the club may have reached a point where he simply isn't quite up to the standard of those around him. Buendia hasn't even kicked into gear yet and he was already miles ahead of him in terms of impact on Saturday. Ings, Watkins, Bailey, even Traore, he just isn't on the same level as these lads in terms of overall impact. 

I love El Ghazi and always will, but as an everyday player we need better. We have better, we just need to get them on the pitch. 

• Like 1

Last season's goal tally was a fluke.  No chance he'll score above 5 this season, penalties included.  El Ghazi and Trezeguet are just not good enough for us if we want to be challenging for European places.  This summer was our window to sell El Ghazi while his value was as high it probably would ever be throughout his career. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He has excellent ball striking technique, as evidenced by his penalty taking ability. But as with Conor Hourihane before him, the club may have reached a point where he simply isn't quite up to the standard of those around him. Buendia hasn't even kicked into gear yet and he was already miles ahead of him in terms of impact on Saturday. Ings, Watkins, Bailey, even Traore, he just isn't on the same level as these lads in terms of overall impact. 

I love El Ghazi and always will, but as an everyday player we need better. We have better, we just need to get them on the pitch. 

You’re absolutely right.

Traore £18m

Watkins £30m+
Buendia £30m+
Bailey £30m +
Ings £30m??

They’re all better than him. I’m not arguing that.  When they’re all fit, he doesn’t start.

But to say that his shooting is the worst at the club is just stupid.  His positioning is poor, his decision making is poor, he doesn’t show as much grit as he ought to, he misplaces passes far too often, gets caught in possession far too often.  Hardly ever beats his man.

There’s so many weaknesses to focus on to make your point, why pick on the one thing he actually does pretty well?

8 minutes ago, Thug said:

Really?

So you’re saying that if there was a 1 on 1 situation - you’d have chosen these players ahead of him?

Neil Taylor

Tyrone Mings

Ezri Konsa

Douglas Luiz

Nakamba

Keinan Davis

Elmo

Thats literally just off the top of my head. Now I’m guessing when you say that you don’t actually mean it - but that’s the problem with this entire thread.  People will exaggerate everything about his flaws, and then even take his strengths and exaggerate them to ridiculous proportions.

I tend to agree with a lot of your posts, but quite honestly ‘the worst finisher at the club’ has to be the most stupid thing I’ve ever read on here considering some of the players listed above.  The saddest part is that I know you didn’t even mean it - but it all just follows the AEG is awful narrative that is pushed on this board.

He’s a limited player that we have outgrown.  But his shooting and finishing is actually pretty good.

El Ghazi's finishing that season was just terrible sorry to say. I don't know if he was worse than literal defenders who barely take shots at all so we don't have anything to judge their finishing ability by, but I'm willing to give those guys the benefit of the doubt. 

Removing the defenders from that list(to which I think Mings was surprisingly good taking the few chances he does get) its just Luiz, Nakamba and Davis. Nakamba is basically a defender. I'd take Luiz over El Ghazi that season in terms of finishing. Davis, I'll give you I completely forgot about.

Â