Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

14 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t really think he’s improved at all tbh. Genuinely, I don’t. 

I'm with you 100%.  As said above, I don't hate the guy either and would always support him if I was at VP but I don't think he is anywhere near good enough to be a part of our squad if we (or I should say the owners) have the aspirations I believe that they have.

HITC features a tweet from Aston Villa Statto:

"Number of times an Aston Villa player has mis-controlled a pass this season: Anwar El Ghazi - 11 Danny Ings - 4 Jacob Ramsey - 4 Matty Cash - 3 Tyrone Mings - 2".

This is just symptomatic of El Ghazi's game from my perspective.  He just lacks intensity.  I always feel that he might have a goal in him and certainly can take a penalty but he adds nothing outside of this for me.  No assists last year is telling for a wide attacking player.

I would love to see him sold - I thought he cost £8m and I would sell for this or above which I think his goal output alone might justify - and replaced with Damsgaard, who we keep getting linked with.  This would give us four quality wide options in Buendia, Traore, Damsgaard and Bailey, who are all interchangeable to an extent, with JPB as a very credible fifth option/bench cover.  We would potentially have a really exciting bench then - as wingers and "9"s are typically the key subs used to change a game.  However, even if we don't sign Damsgaard (or equivalent), I would still be happy to see him depart as I believe that Young and JPB offer better options.

Shouldn't be a starter (and he won't be once Bailey, Watkins and Traore are back) but £5m for 15 Premier League goals over 3 seasons is tremendously good value. By comparison £40m Joelinton scored 6 PL goals in that same time period. He's actually scored the same number as Pepe who cost over £70m.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t really think he’s improved at all tbh. Genuinely, I don’t. 

He hasnt at all. He has always been a goalscorer . When we bought him i thought he had the attributes to be a shit Ronaldo but he hasnt changed at all. Still no awareness of his teammates . Just get the ball . Manoeuvre into position and then blast it .

15 goals and 4 assists since we got into the premier. A genuine goal threat but if he had awareness then those assists would be in the 20s

On 22/08/2021 at 11:31, Pissflaps said:

So can anyone please explain this logic to me re El Ghazi. In my new season ticket seats yesterday and probably no more than 15 minutes into the game yesterday these two people directly behind me who are probably 20 or so say to each other god he is so shit, get him off. El Ghazi had lost the ball once at that point trying to beat the full back. First thought, who would you replace him with exactly? The bashing of him continued all game.

We get the penalty..up steps El Ghazi. Now I have been going to villa park since 1988 and I have never heard something, to me, as idiotic and rage inducing as:

"I hate him so much, I hope he misses the penalty"

He scores and they celebrate.

I am literally lost for words at the retardation of these people at this point. Anyone want to swap seats because I can see myself getting arrested before the season is over when i cave one of their skulls in.

Help me here, am i being unfair or should these pair of words removed just **** off down to the Temple of Doom instead?

Out of interest which stand do you sit in?

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He hasnt at all. He has always been a goalscorer . When we bought him i thought he had the attributes to be a shit Ronaldo but he hasnt changed at all. Still no awareness of his teammates . Just get the ball . Manoeuvre into position and then blast it .

15 goals and 4 assists since we got into the premier. A genuine goal threat but if he had awareness then those assists would be in the 20s

Last season is the only season where he's game has shifted entirely into becoming a goal scorer. 

19-20 season- 4 goals, 4 assists

18-19 season-6 goals, 6 assists

17-18 season-4 goals, 4 assists with Lille.

You can argue that he is no longer creative now. But this idea that he was always just been a goalscorer is not true. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

18 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm with you 100%.  As said above, I don't hate the guy either and would always support him if I was at VP but I don't think he is anywhere near good enough to be a part of our squad if we (or I should say the owners) have the aspirations I believe that they have.

HITC features a tweet from Aston Villa Statto:

"Number of times an Aston Villa player has mis-controlled a pass this season: Anwar El Ghazi - 11 Danny Ings - 4 Jacob Ramsey - 4 Matty Cash - 3 Tyrone Mings - 2".

This is just symptomatic of El Ghazi's game from my perspective.  He just lacks intensity.  I always feel that he might have a goal in him and certainly can take a penalty but he adds nothing outside of this for me.  No assists last year is telling for a wide attacking player.

I would love to see him sold - I thought he cost £8m and I would sell for this or above which I think his goal output alone might justify - and replaced with Damsgaard, who we keep getting linked with.  This would give us four quality wide options in Buendia, Traore, Damsgaard and Bailey, who are all interchangeable to an extent, with JPB as a very credible fifth option/bench cover.  We would potentially have a really exciting bench then - as wingers and "9"s are typically the key subs used to change a game.  However, even if we don't sign Damsgaard (or equivalent), I would still be happy to see him depart as I believe that Young and JPB offer better options.

Those control stats don't surprise me. It's because he panics so much.

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

It doesn't look like we're asking him to be the creative type, though.  Often when he's played, he's been the only player directly attacking and having a go at shooting.  It was an issue with Grealish wide left (get ball, turn back, try and dribble, etc) - he just didn't take players on in the same way.  For all El Ghazi's faults, he does this.  He tries to manufacture shooting opportunities from out wide.

The shit in the Buendia thread is absolute classic.  We counter attack and El Ghazi gets the ball and looks to shift inside and shoot.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this (aside from the ball sailing over :Dbut, because he's El Ghazi, people are clamouring for him to pass the ball 10 yards back to the edge of the box so Buendia can get closed down from a central position.

I'll probably be repeating this forever, but he's a brilliant squad player to have.  Doesn't kick up a fuss and tries to score goals.  Sometimes it goes wrong, sometimes he scores a banger. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It doesn't look like we're asking him to be the creative type, though.  Often when he's played, he's been the only player directly attacking and having a go at shooting.  It was an issue with Grealish wide left (get ball, turn back, try and dribble, etc) - he just didn't take players on in the same way.  For all El Ghazi's faults, he does this.  He tries to manufacture shooting opportunities from out wide.

The shit in the Buendia thread is absolute classic.  We counter attack and El Ghazi gets the ball and looks to shift inside and shoot.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this (aside from the ball sailing over :Dbut, because he's El Ghazi, people are clamouring for him to pass the ball 10 yards back to the edge of the box so Buendia can get closed down from a central position.

I'll probably be repeating this forever, but he's a brilliant squad player to have.  Doesn't kick up a fuss and tries to score goals.  Sometimes it goes wrong, sometimes he scores a banger. 

Mate you have valid opinions . And i agree with the 2nd bit . He just does my head in as he has so much talent .

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

You're not going to win here mate, and I agree with you, he's definitely good enough by far to be a squad player for us, and I'm sure you'd agree, he's only playing because Bailey and Watkins are unavailable currently, but the hatred on here for him is too strong, too many people see so much negative about him that they ignore any positives there may be to him, his game, or his status in our squad. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What do you reckon his calm down celebration meant?

Because he knows half the stadium was doubting him.  People don't realize how badly he saved us last season.  We literally had zero pen takers in the squad outside of him. 

• Like 1

I honestly couldn't care if he spends 88 mins by the corner flag chatting to the mascot, if in the other 2 mins he scores a goal I'm happy. People don't seem to realise how many supposedly better players will kill to have Anwar's goal scoring stats. Football is about goals as that what gets you results and points.

But I would genuinely rather he got a transfer to a club that appreciated him instead of the constant hate, bleating and moaning about him.

• Like 3

Â