Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I'd happily start Jacob Ramsey or Philogene LW ahead of him next week.

You don't get a place in the XI because you're good at penalties, this isn't rugby.

No he gets a place because he regularly and consistently scores goals....

4 minutes ago, smg said:

Maybe not you when people comment things like ‘hope he never wears the shirt again’ ‘ he is shit’ ‘useless’  you kind of think they don’t like him very much.

i don't dislike him at all. as with other players that have left us (hutton, taylor, elmo) they have all played a big part to get us to where we currently are but ultimately is just not good enough for where we are aiming to be.

i said it a few pages back that his stock will never be higher and once bailey and traore are fit he's unlikely to play so i'd be looking to sell. i refuse to believe that JPB offers less than him and can be cover

takes a cracking pen i'll give him that, but so does ings. i mean, it's a 12 yard free shot at a keeper, even centre backs and keepers score them in pen shootouts. it's something that any professional player should be able to do and is not worth keeping him around for

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The team will be better and more likely to score goals without El Ghazi in it. 

Imagine he'll keep his place for Brentford. Hope he scores again.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The team will be better and more likely to score goals without El Ghazi in it. 

Imagine he'll keep his place for Brentford. Hope he scores again.

I agree with this, I'm not arguing he's in our best starting XI. I am however arguing against the hyperbole that he has been/is useless and does nothing for the team..

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

But at what other cost to the team? 

LW is a creativity dead zone with him there. 

Considering the amount of points associated with his goals, I'm not sure I see your point....

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Considering the amount of points associated with his goals, I'm not sure I see your point....

Do you have a figure? I'm not saying that's wrong, but it'd be interesting to see. Would also like to see the numbers when he plays and doesn't score etc. 

7 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

He’s rubbish even in the games he scores. No assists last season says it all.

No point in discussing El Ghazi much as he won’t be in the side after the international break. Hopefully he’s sold before then. 

• Like 1

I agree with this, I'm not arguing he's in our best starting XI. I am however arguing against the hyperbole that he has been/is useless and does nothing for the team..

I think it was a fairly poor decision from the manager to start him over Philogene.

He was poor in pre-season and poor first game...shock, he was poor again, our worst player.

Doesn't seem to be sensible keeping him there IMO.

I love having him on the pitch when we get a penalty, that's great fun, huge confidence in him in that one scenario. We don't get pens every week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Do you have a figure? I'm not saying that's wrong, but it'd be interesting to see. Would also like to see the numbers when he plays and doesn't score etc. 

At a quick check 12 points directly associated with his goals  from last season and he scored in other matches where we won points.

Not bad for someone who is useless and offers nothing.....

Damning statistic for those trying to rubbish him...

• Like 2

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

At a quick check 12 points directly associated with his goals  from last season and he scored in other matches where we won points.

Not bad for someone who is useless and offers nothing.....

Damning statistic for those trying to rubbish him...

You see, nobody has at any point said that. Everybody has acknowledged that he's scored goals and that's a good thing, but the issue is around what he offers on the pitch besides that. The answer is very little. 

Had he not scored the penalty yesterday - what would we be saying about his performance? That's the point of discussion here.

As a winger, in a creative role, is he good enough? For me, the answer is clearly no and we'll see why when Bailey gets a few games. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

You see, nobody has at any point said that. Everybody has acknowledged that he's scored goals and that's a good thing, but the issue is around what he offers on the pitch besides that. The answer is very little. 

Had he not scored the penalty yesterday - what would we be saying about his performance? That's the point of discussion here.

As a winger, in a creative role, is he good enough? For me, the answer is clearly no and we'll see why when Bailey gets a few games. 

Mate, what you put in bold has literally been posted in the last couple of hours.... I don't know how you could miss those posts. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think it was a fairly poor decision from the manager to start him over Philogene.

He was poor in pre-season and poor first game...shock, he was poor again, our worst player.

Doesn't seem to be sensible keeping him there IMO.

I love having him on the pitch when we get a penalty, that's great fun, huge confidence in him in that one scenario. We don't get pens every week.

Starting him on the right against Watford was batshit crazy. It’s decisions like that, that make me genuinely question Smith (who I’m fully behind). 

El Ghazi is tragically poor on the left in most of the games he plays, but on the right, he’s a whole new level of bad. 

It was a stupid decision and contributed to our woeful first half performance. I too thought JPB was great in pre-season whilst AEG was poor, so it was daft he started against Watford.

16 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

He doesn't do it consistently... That's the problem. When was the last time you saw him trouble the opposition (like Sarr vs Targett) or put in lots of crosses/dangerous balls for the strikers?! The quicker we can upgrade the likes of AEG and Trez the better, as neither are good enough for a team with European ambitions. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s rubbish even in the games he scores. No assists last season says it all.

No point in discussing El Ghazi much as he won’t be in the side after the international break. Hopefully he’s sold before then. 

If we sell him it's another signing we need to make in the next 8 days. 

Unless it's silly money we'd be daft to get rid.

Just now, Made In Aston said:

He doesn't do it consistently... That's the problem. When was the last time you saw him trouble the opposition (like Sarr vs Targett) or put in lots of crosses/dangerous balls for the strikers?! The quicker we can upgrade the likes of AEG and Trez the better, as neither are good enough for a team with European ambitions. 

Your are factually and statistically incorrect, the proof is there .... He is a valuable squad member.

• Haha 1

Mate, what you put in bold has literally been posted in the last couple of hours.... I don't know how you could miss those posts. 

Maybe it was posted by someone I have on ignore, because I can't see anyone saying that he's totally useless and offers absolutely nothing whatsoever. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

If we sell him it's another signing we need to make in the next 8 days. 

Unless it's silly money we'd be daft to get rid.

I see your point but in a couple of weeks time, we’ll have a fit Buendia, Bailey, Traore and Watkins. 

Honestly, he offers so little that I’d be more than happy selling him and if the situation arose again with the injuries we have now, I’d be happy with any one of the youngsters deputising. 

That’s the thing with El Ghazi, I think he’s that terrible that nobody else coming in could play worse. He lost the ball so often against Newcastle. He’s a parody at this point. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Maybe it was posted by someone I have on ignore, because I can't see anyone saying that he's totally useless and offers absolutely nothing whatsoever. 

So after providing the facts you asked for your are now playing semantics with my words. The implication is he does nothing for the team, I disagree. I have provided my proof and my facts and to counter all I see are opinions with little substance.

He won't be sold and he will play his part in our squad, and that is sensible.

Really isn't going to help him this season that referees are implementing the laws in a much more lenient fashion. Won 0 duels both in the air and on the ground and spent much of the time angling for fouls that weren't given, which will be happening a lot more if he doesn't fix up in that regard.

I think when everyone is fit he's reduced to just being a useful enough squad player at best which is far from the end of the world.

Â