Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's not good enough to start week in week out but he does a job when called upon. 

He's played a significant part in getting us as a club to this point. This shouldn't be forgotten. 

Yeah, absolutely.

When Leon Bailey is fit, he starts wide left and El Ghazi reverts to being an impact sub.  When Bailey is injured, El Ghazi (or maybe Philogene-Bidace) will play in his absence.

Hi, it's a football squad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Extend contract or Sell?

Highly doubt we re-sign with JPB waiting in the wings.  We either sell or let his contract run out. Wages aren't crazy and given COVID the rest of Europe doesn't seem to have the funds to make selling him worthwhile. 

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Extend contract or Sell?

If he continues his current goal scoring form then I think you could realistically keep him until next summer and sell him then, as even with 1 year left on his contract you'd at least make your money back on him due to the value his goals will add to his price. Plus football will probably be in a healthier financial position next year which would mean you'd probably have more clubs interested and offering more than you would get this year ironically.

I like El Ghazy, and I think he has more than enough to be a valuable squad player this season. But I don't think he's a long term player if we can crack the European bubble. Keep him on his existing deal and evaluate it again next year.

I don’t believe he’s good enough to be a regular starter, as back up he’s pretty good. We paid peanuts for him and we getting more out of him than we paid. 

He just a back up and we’re using him as such. I’m happy with that and I’m also happy if we sell him on too. 

a spare player that does better than some of our other spare players. Aka Wesley and Davies 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

You do know he nearly made the Netherland squad for the Euros?

ramsdale made the england squad. making a squad means f-all. nearly making a squad means even less

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, absolutely.

When Leon Bailey is fit, he starts wide left and El Ghazi reverts to being an impact sub.  When Bailey is injured, El Ghazi (or maybe Philogene-Bidace) will play in his absence.

Hi, it's a football squad.

Yep. 

You could argue that we had 4 first team players out Saturday. And we won the game. 

A couple of years ago, El Ghazi and Trezeguet were important first team players. Now they're back ups. 

I doubt many teams on our level have better back up players than El Ghazi. 

21 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Highly doubt we re-sign with JPB waiting in the wings.  We either sell or let his contract run out. Wages aren't crazy and given COVID the rest of Europe doesn't seem to have the funds to make selling him worthwhile. 

For JPB, read Barry Bannan. Yes different players, but Bannan was thought of very highly when he started featuring for the first team. 

The idea of relying on a youth prospect to replace a 10 goal PL winger is nuts. 

It's like stopping going to work because you bought a scratchcard and you might win £10,000

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Ice man and smashed the pen. Don't understand the AEG hate.

I don’t understand why people keep using the word ‘hate’ either. I don’t hate the bloke, he comes across as a very decent guy and a great team mate. 

Just because I don’t rate him at all, doesn’t mean I hate him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I can't be arsed with this thread. Whatever he does it seems he isn't good enough/rubbish/get rid.

He will be a useful squad player this season I am sure of that.

Lol. ‘Whatever he does’. Play poorly you mean? 

The man scored a penalty. Outside of that, he was our worst player and arguably the worst player on the pitch. 

He isn’t rubbish, he just isn’t anywhere near the level we need him to be at. He can count himself extremely lucky, having spent the money we have, to be even in the squad on match days. Injuries have meant he has had to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t understand why people keep using the word ‘hate’ either. I don’t hate the bloke, he comes across as a very decent guy and a great team mate. 

Just because I don’t rate him at all, doesn’t mean I hate him.

Maybe not you when people comment things like ‘hope he never wears the shirt again’ ‘ he is shit’ ‘useless’  you kind of think they don’t like him very much.

Just now, smg said:

Maybe not you when people comment things like ‘hope he never wears the shirt again’ ‘ he is shit’ ‘useless’  you kind of think they don’t like him very much.

As a footballer, yes, I can see why people call him shit and useless. Again, doesn’t mean they hate the bloke. There is a difference. 

Honestly, his performances against Newcastle and Watford were shit! 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Put it this way. 

When Traore, Trezeguet, Sanson, Watkins and Bailey are back, el Ghazi will do very well to make the squad. 

I don’t think he gets a look in if the above weren’t injured. 

I'd happily start Jacob Ramsey or Philogene LW ahead of him next week.

You don't get a place in the XI because you're good at penalties, this isn't rugby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â