Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Not sure if this is a Villa thing or maybe other clubs are the same.

Guy scores 2 goals could easily have 2 more but for good saves and there is a bit of negativity on here.

If fans aren’t behind him tonight then he better move club.

Maybe we should shell out another 15 -20 million on another forward and people can get on his back when he doesn’t perform.

No team has a complete squad of brilliant players who play brilliantly every game.Players form ebbs and flows.

Look at Solskar at UTD I am sure there are united fans whocriticised  him at the time,he hardly ever started a game but now he is a legend.

One of the reasons we are doing well at the moment is because our negative wave drivers are not in the ground at the moment.

This is, unfortunately, very true. I do wonder if it’s worse at villa than a lot of other clubs. At clubs as huge as Chelsea or arsenal a lot of the abuse just gets lost into the abyss of a gazillion fans and no one really cares as you’re just part of the machine. At Villa Park you’re a club with expectations that aren’t a million miles off but a lot more ‘personal’ fan base and I think the abuse can be a bit more targeted and hit home harder. 

• Like 1

I’m really pleased for El Ghazi, he’s taken a battering from fans and his confidence has been smashed. He’s always had the ability but like all wingers, bar the very best, he’s struggled with consistency. The chances he missed against Burnley could have derailed his confidence but he came back and didn’t give up. His two goals last night should give him a huge boost. It’s great to see the players rally round him with support too, the team spirit is abundant. 

He may not keep his place when Barkley’s back, as you’d expect Jack back on the left. But at least we now have a viable option from the bench that can change a game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stepped up since coming in. Not scared to have a pop. 3 goals in his last 3 appearances and could have easily had a few more. Unlucky not to get the hat-trick with that jinking run into the box before Johnstone saved. He can go missing, but he’s an asset when his confidence is up. Jack clearly rates him and enjoys playing with him. Lets see how far this purple patch can take him.

El-ghazi has not done enough to start ahead of Trezguet and Traore. Two penalties and a tap in, and a host of missed chances. Greahish did everything he could to get him a goal against Burnley and he flopped it. Credit to him though for the opener last night.

I would still sell him at the first opportunity as I don't believe he is good enough for where we want to be. Not having the pressure of a relegation battle seems to be helping him. He is also great mates with Jack. Need Trezguet and Barkley back. 

7 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

El-ghazi has not done enough to start ahead of Trezguet

I think it depends on the opposition.  Trez is hard working but he does not offer the goal threat El-Ghazi does.   

Anwar has done really well considering his game time the past few months.  He could get even better with a run in the team.  Trez I love but he has a lower ceiling.

I do not mind him having pop shots if there are no better options.  Better to buy a ticket for the raffle and all that!

Edited by S-Platt

9 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I think it depends on the opposition.  Trez is hard working but he does not offer the goal threat El-Ghazi does.   

Anwar has done really well considering his game time the past few months.  He could get even better with a run in the team.  Trez I love but he has a lower ceiling.

I do not mind him having pop shots if there are no better options.  Better to buy a ticket for the raffle and all that!

Well I see Baggies and Burnley as two of the worst teams in this league. They are terrible. His goal threat has amounted to 2 penalties won by others and a good tap in. Baggies were bad before now they have the wrong manager! Burnley are only a threat if you make stupid mistakes or can't defend aerial balls. Deal with that and you have them over a barrel. The chances he missed remind me of Trezguet at his worst. However Trezguet's workrate and commitment to the team is far more reliable than El-Ghazi  occasional moments. 

He still isn't good enough. Still has to do more to convince that he is even worth a place in the squad after this season.

Edited by Philosopher

I think he probably suits games where we going to be on top more.

He's shooting a lot but I don't think many were particularly threatening myself. We're having 2, 3 mins of passing build up leading to El Ghazi hitting one into the keeper.

Pleased he got that early goal, we needed that v a team that's going to sit in.

It's good to get a confidence player some goals because he'll hopefully carry some positivity into the next game. Another return v Palace please Anwar.

23 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

It's no coincidence that our shots per game have gone through the roof since his starts. 

Even if they don't go in, it builds pressure and makes space because if people know he's confident enough to shoot from distance, they'll close him down quicker.

As you can imagine, this only helps Jack out, who doesn't require much space to work well in either. 

It's great seeing him back in the team and playing positively - I'd give Smith some kudos for that, because he looks very low on confidence the last time he was in the team.  Taking him out of the spotlight and slowly reintroducing him is a very good piece of management, even if it was forced because of injuries. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yes, and most of them were comfortable saves for the keeper.

2 goals, 2 good saves, 2 off target and 2 comfortable saves/tame shots isn’t a bad nights work, even allowing for the fact one of his goals was a penalty 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Even if they don't go in, it builds pressure and makes space because if people know he's confident enough to shoot from distance, they'll close him down quicker.

This! Him shooting to Row Z actually helps our attack, they need to close us down since we also tries. Creating space for Grealish and the rest

Was interesting to listen to him in his post match interview. He came across exactly the opposite to what I expected. Seemed humble, self-aware and critical, and had a determination to improve. Obviously I'm reaching here because it was a minute long interview but that's what I picked up. 

Suppose it shows how you can't be quick to judge people without knowing their character. From his body language and just general persona I got the impression he would be a bit of a sulky prima donna - but I think I got that very wrong

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Was interesting to listen to him in his post match interview. He came across exactly the opposite to what I expected. Seemed humble, self-aware and critical, and had a determination to improve. Obviously I'm reaching here because it was a minute long interview but that's what I picked up. 

Suppose it shows how you can't be quick to judge people without knowing their character. From his body language and just general persona I got the impression he would be a bit of a sulky prima donna - but I think I got that very wrong

He is like that, the official Youtube channel had a show of short interviews with players on a quick drive. This was 18/19 season and he was asked to rate his season and he actually said 6.5 out of 10

11 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Not sure if this is a Villa thing or maybe other clubs are the same.

Guy scores 2 goals could easily have 2 more but for good saves and there is a bit of negativity on here.

If fans aren’t behind him tonight then he better move club.

Maybe we should shell out another 15 -20 million on another forward and people can get on his back when he doesn’t perform.

No team has a complete squad of brilliant players who play brilliantly every game.Players form ebbs and flows.

Look at Solskar at UTD I am sure there are united fans whocriticised  him at the time,he hardly ever started a game but now he is a legend.

One of the reasons we are doing well at the moment is because our negative wave drivers are not in the ground at the moment.

I remember following the Liverpool game that we lost in injury time last season on twitter. The vitriol and poison Liverpool fans had for their own players was utterly shocking. They were European champions strolling to a League title win and when we took the lead the amount of fans wishing Henderson/Lallana/Firmino would never play for them again/get hit by a car/break both their legs/ catch cancer and die etc. etc. was unreal. Utterly depressing....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's a fair point. Play shit for ages, have fans point it out. Play 1-2 good matches for the first time in 24 months and the same fans are supposed to eat humble pie.

Have a word. Lets wait 30 matches then talk.

Exactly, let's see him keep it up for a while and be consistent as many of here talk about Kenji.

im happy he had a good game last night and scored against Burnley, but a couple of swallows dont make a summer.

He seems like a good squad option, and if we want to kick on and improve as a team we should never really be considering him as a first 11 player, but more than happy to consider him a squad player if he can make some impact like he has been doing.

14 hours ago, hippo said:

Wtf is that ? - I feel sick !

I take it you have never watched WWF/WWE, notice the rock top right putting face to Rikishi's ass, I thought it was rather good and suited the post 😉

Â