John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On Sunday he apparently completed 10 passes in 70 minutes of football. That is mental for a central midfielder and indicative of one of the biggest issues with him which is relying on moments - which are becoming fewer and fewer by the week - and not actually being involved in games for the duration of them. Love the guy but his shortcomings are becoming harder than ever for the team to work around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indigo said:

On Sunday he apparently completed 10 passes in 70 minutes of football. That is mental for a central midfielder and indicative of one of the biggest issues with him which is relying on moments - which are becoming fewer and fewer by the week - and not actually being involved in games for the duration of them. Love the guy but his shortcomings are becoming harder than ever for the team to work around.

But, but, but its not about the passes (lack of) its what he brings to the team.... 

Mcginn is a nice bloke, cant fault that, but he is currently stealing a living as a premier league midfielder! I struggle to see what he is offering, as a midfielder you need to pass the ball.... 10 passes in 70 mins is criminal! 

On 18/10/2022 at 10:42, Indigo said:

I had to check this as I thought that cant be right and it wasn't.

fba5c45a9f6e0d3372aef0e16275c04a.png

It's actually 9. 😐

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

11 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

It's actually 9. 😐

I'd love to see passes completed and passes attempted per 90 for the whole squad this season.

I reckon it could be damning for McGinn (moreso having a low attempted number as it would prove how little he offers himself as an option for a pass).

14 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

It's actually 9. 😐

So...

• 41 for Mings (Highest)
  • 34 for Young (3rd highest)
  • 18 for Watkins (highest among the front 3)

... where was McGinn during all that possession/passing down our left?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

So...

• 41 for Mings (Highest)
  • 34 for Young (3rd highest)
  • 18 for Watkins (highest among the front 3)

... where was McGinn during all that possession/passing down our left?

No midfielders at all in the top 3. 

It's a damning indictment on the current coaching setup.

I get McGinn isn't playing well but it seems a lot of our players are falling victim to our complete lack of tactics

EDIT: I misread and thought that was the top 3 but my point still stands. Not one of our midfielders, whether they be attacking or defensive is thriving in the current system. In fact every single one of them is regressing at a rapid rate.

Edited by dubliner

Obviously, as my name suggests, I'm a bit biased...but is there a case to be made that Gerrard is the problem, and that along with the rest of the team, he'd be a different player under a better manager?

All I'm saying is that he's been absolutely brilliant for Scotland, and there's no way he'd be phoning it in for Villa - the man, if nothing else, gives everything he's got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â