John McGinn

PompeyVillan

18 minutes ago, Thug said:

Every player gets a clean slate.

even this guy.

Not for me. He couldn't have been more championed by Gerrard and repaid him by playing like a 3rd rate chimp. He was also mostly shite for Smith. I'd be happy never seeing this guy in a Villa shirt again.

I love the guy, but his form has been getting worse for over a year. Not his fault he was getting picked continuously, that's on the clown who nailed his colours to that particular mast.

What I can't get over is how he's been made captain. I can't think of a single moment this season where I thought, there'd our captain. He doesn't have a leader's bone in his body. Martinez would have made more sense. One of the most baffling decisions in football I can remember. 

McGinn was a hill Gerrard was happy to die on. When he made him captain, there were fears that he’d become undroppable. I was of the opinion that wouldn’t be the case because no player is and I believe Gerrard even came out and said something similar. 

Turns out he was undroppable. Of all the things Gerrard did, making McGinn captain and refusing to ever play a side without him in it baffled me the most. Even if we didn’t know what was going on behind the scenes, at least try something different. Something without John McGinn.

Fresh start for John now. I’d like to see him moved on in the Summer regardless.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

One of the first things I want to see the new manager do is take the bloody captaincy off him!

🤣

I don’t think JM would view this with anything but relief. Taking the captaincy of Tyrone Mings who clearly was very comfortable in the roll and giving it to a man who clearly isn’t was as unnecessary as it was stupid. To then dress it up as helping Tyrone to concentrate on his own game while failing to notice that JM’s game needs major surgery was completely brainless and to be honest disingenuous. 

Just another example of Gerrard flailing around without a clue and there are many. Oh well this chapter has now closed. On to the next. 

• Like 1

I’d be happy to give John another shot under a new manager albeit as a bit part player and definitely not the captain.

Despite his terrible form, I can’t completely agree that all of his playing ability has been drained from him.

His best position is as an attacking midfielder and while that might not suit this personnel combo, maybe a new manager can find a role for him…just not as a nailed on starter

• Like 1

Sorry John but you’ve got to hand back the armband.

Not good enough for a first team starter and the weight of the captaincy made him worse.

At the beginning of the season I genuinely expected he’d be an impact player for us and thought if he were the calibre of our bench, we’d be doing well…

however Stevie G stomped all over that to the detriment of the team.. :( 

still a very likeable and useful member of the squad but should not be a starter and/or captain 

14 hours ago, Thug said:

I want to see Sanson too.

But I genuinely believe the manager was dragging the players down.

However, I respect your opinion.

All well and good if he hadn't been performing basically the same way for the previous 2 seasons. 

Â