John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I want him to be an effective part of this squad, play when we need a goal and have to counter quickly, or against top opposition where we’re not gonna have the ball. I love him, I just want us to use him as part of a squad.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Kind of funny that he took the captaincy off Mings, seemingly because he thought he couldn't handle the pressure, only to give it to McGinn who has utterly crumbled to dust and shows far less resilience and leadership than Mings ever did.

It's time for a long spell out of the team, I'm sad to say.

Seems like every instinct the man has is just wrong. Likely because they're from a bygone era.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Seems like every instinct the man has is just wrong. Likely because they're from a bygone era.

To be fair Smith had an absolute blind spot for his poor performances as well. I can't decide if it's just that managers like him because he keeps trying, or if there's really something that managers see that fans don't, but I've gone from thinking it's more likely to be the latter to more likely the former in recent months.

• Like 2

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair Smith had an absolute blind spot for his poor performances as well. I can't decide if it's just that managers like him because he keeps trying, or if there's really something that managers see that fans don't, but I've gone from thinking it's more likely to be the latter to more likely the former in recent months.

To be fair, if Smith were to bench him, who would he turn to? Nakamba? He was our best midfielder under Smith (for better or worse). He tried to get Sanson in to alleviate that but he was never fit. There are more options now. Making him captain was just so baffling. I'll never understand it.

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

To be fair, if Smith were to bench him, who would he turn to? Nakamba? He was our best midfielder under Smith (for better or worse). He tried to get Sanson in to alleviate that but he was never fit. There are more options now. Making him captain was just so baffling. I'll never understand it.

Good point, and strong agree he should never have been made captain. That whole episode has been handled so badly, and for a rubbish decision.

I've gone from thinking we were done and rightly so in the transfer market to thinking that we're absolutely desperate for one number 8 (to replace McGinn), maybe another one (to replace Ramsey) and a CB (to replace Carlos).

16 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Has to be dropped for Luiz on Sunday 

I have to agree with this. McGinn just needs to be taken out for a while now and maybe used as a sub with 20-30 minutes left to add his energy to a tiring midfield. 

However, I'm not sure Kamara is the defensive midfielder we are hoping for. Tonight,  he made several fouls and was lucky not to be carded. I'd personally like to see us be brave enough to throw Tim Iroegbunam in alongside Kamara and play Dougie ahead of them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

I have to agree with this. McGinn just needs to be taken out for a while now and maybe used as a sub with 20-30 minutes left to add his energy to a tiring midfield. 

However, I'm not sure Kamara is the defensive midfielder we are hoping for. Tonight,  he made several fouls and was lucky not to be carded. I'd personally like to see us be brave enough to throw Tim Iroegbunam in alongside Kamara and play Dougie ahead of them. 

Gerrard isn't going to drop his captain and look an even bigger muppet than he does already and that he did at the time.

He will continue to play McGinn even if it means losing games and getting the sack.

The ego is strong with this one.

46 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I was also going to mention this, pretty weird to keep him on the full 90 but take off Kamara & Luiz. 

Probably took Kamara off because Bolton players were running by him with ease all night and he could only stop them by repeatedly fouling them. 7 fouls I counted before he was hauled off. 

His best period of the match was in the last 10 mins, where he just played simple passes and got on the end of some through-balls. Should.have scored.

The Hollywood passes, or the tricky killer balls work infrequently and end up giving possession away. 

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Gerrard isn't going to drop his captain and look an even bigger muppet than he does already and that he did at the time.

He will continue to play McGinn even if it means losing games and getting the sack.

The ego is strong with this one.

Surely he's gotta drop his ego and own up to this one. 

Bite the bullet - just give Mings back the captaincy. And then move on. 

He then can drop McGinn and I think the rest will do him a world of good actually. 

• Like 1

Â