John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I like SJM, don't we all, but he is seriously out of form at the moment and needs to be left out of the firing line.

I am hoping (praying) that he suffers a (made up) "little knock" in training and gets left out of the starting eleven on Sunday. 

Make Martinez captain (whom for me was the most obvious candidate anyway) and see where we go from there.

IE If we win and play well without him, then it will be easier for SG to leave him out for the game after (and after)...

I do think making McGinn captain is the worst thing SG has done so far in his tenure.

43 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I like SJM, don't we all, but he is seriously out of form at the moment and needs to be left out of the firing line.

I am hoping (praying) that he suffers a (made up) "little knock" in training and gets left out of the starting eleven on Sunday. 

Make Martinez captain (whom for me was the most obvious candidate anyway) and see where we go from there.

IE If we win and play well without him, then it will be easier for SG to leave him out for the game after (and after)...

I do think making McGinn captain is the worst thing SG has done so far in his tenure.

You can't argue with the form point. I'm struggling to remember a Villa player who has declined in self - belief so rapidly. He even looks more left - sided than before, and the once formidable "Arris" seems to have lost it's potency. 

Very strange turn - out indeed. 

54 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Did any of you notice how he took control when that penalty decision was made Vs Bolton ?

I think there was a bit of hoo-ha with Luiz as he was getting very aerated about something and got booked.

McGinn I noticed was trying to calm him down a bit, is that what you meant?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I get that McGinn as lost form, and for that, he's going to get some stick, but let's not make it into a witch- hunt. He really doesn't deserve that.

The selection of McGinn is having a negative impact on us. It’s not a witch hunt it’s just fair criticism 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The selection of McGinn is having a negative impact on us. It’s not a witch hunt it’s just fair criticism 

The new scapegoat, for me. I admit, he's lost form but he won't be the first to get back that spark without being dropped. Some of the criticism is over the top, imo.

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The new scapegoat, for me. I admit, he's lost form but he won't be the first to get back that spark without being dropped. Some of the criticism is over the top, imo.

You can call out a player without him being labelled a scape goat. Sometimes there’s unfair criticism other times when the majority of a fanbase agree on something there’s a reason for it. He lost possession 18 times against Bolton. Call it poor form but when since he’s been in the premier league has he had a sustained period of good form? There’s no danger of him being dropped anyway that’s for sure. 

Edited by IrishVilla10

10 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

He was under the previous manager too. He must be shit hot in training

He’s also been very good for us in periods tbf, under Smith but also early in the Gerrard era. Look back at old match threads here on VT, voted MotM many times.

It’s true that his gung-ho playing style in a way limits the team, but it’s also too easy to forget the good things when a player is out of form.

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He’s also been very good for us in periods tbf, under Smith but also early in the Gerrard era. Look back at old match threads here on VT, voted MotM many times.

It’s true that his gung-ho playing style in a way limits the team, but it’s also too easy to forget the good things when a player is out of form.

He is better when he doesn't try to be the all action midfielder but keeps his discipline. He did this during Gerrard honeymoon period but now is back to what he isnt good at

13 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I get that McGinn as lost form, and for that, he's going to get some stick, but let's not make it into a witch- hunt. He really doesn't deserve that.

No he doesn't deserve it and I don't think that the criticism of him is a witch hunt. It's just the truth. He's been very much the weak link in midfield for some time. As for support of him, well his name probably get's sung more than any other player during games so nobody can ever say he is scapegoated. McGinn either needs to step up now or be replaced and the fans are not accountable for what he is producing on the pitch, only he is. 

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

No he doesn't deserve it and I don't think that the criticism of him is a witch hunt. It's just the truth. He's been very much the weak link in midfield for some time. As for support of him, well his name probably get's sung more than any other player during games so nobody can ever say he is scapegoated. McGinn either needs to step up now or be replaced and the fans are not accountable for what he is producing on the pitch, only he is. 

Agreed.
I think the reaction to McGinn has been measured. He isn't playing well. He isn't contributing goals or assists in the way he should. He is liable to make 'blind' and poor passes which put us under pressure. And he is starting to regularly commit silly fouls, and the way he is going, a red card isn't far off.

Making him captain has become a 'thing' which demonstrates what fans are concerned about with Gerrard - much more than the Mings losing it bit (that was more about the stupid 'look me in the eyes' comment for me).

The problem will only grow until either McGinn improves, or is taken out the firing line - and the captaincy only serves to exacerbate this. 

• Like 1

When will people understand, it's partly his form that people are criticising, but even at his best, he's not a player that suits a possession based side.

People are saying he's not the right type of player to help us get to the next level, and I completely agree.

Â