John McGinn

PompeyVillan

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He ain't getting his form back, not a chance. You look at the bulk he has put on since he first signed, probably half the problem, he's so slow, an unfortunately it's not the way we need to be playing. He is no leader either, like people have said, it's shocking Gerrard has made him captain over Mings.

An in form McGinn still isn't good enough for our push for a top 8 / top 6 finish.

• Like 1

There's a place for McGinn against certain sides with the right squad around him.

But he has neither the defensive discipline nor the natural ability to break up play to maintain his role a shuffler #8 or god forbid the one time he played as a #6.

Gerrard has fallen in love with him as an all-around midfielder when McGinn has always played best as an attacking CM that gets forward and breaks up the play high up the pitch for a counter attack. Now, McGinn is relegated to hovering around the right touchline, desperately trying to defend 2v1 against a winger and fullback abusing the lack of numbers around him.

Some others have said it but I hate how McGinn has to carry the weight of his managers flaws. Doesn't seem right. I also feel like the captain thing is a bit overblown. His performances are now under the microscope. What exactly is the benefit for McGinn having to carry this level of responsibility.  It's not like he is getting a captain wage bonus every game he trots out with the arm band.  The more I think about it, the more I get peeved with Steven. Why play it out like this. I honestly can't think of a worst way for it to have gone so far. 

• Like 2

He’s a victim of the system, as is Ramsey, but his performances haven’t been good enough for a long, long time. 

We’re trying to improve. The first way we’re going to do that is by sacking the manager and bringing in a manager that tells players they’re allowed to play in the middle of the pitch. The second way is to then improve our first XI. Unfortunately for McGinn, I’d say he’s the first player we’d need to replace. He’s not good enough for a top half PL side. 

• Like 1

Got to chime in, I love McGinn, he's not the best player, he's not the most skilful, but he gets stuck in.  I honestly thought McGinn was on his way out when he was named captain, my football manager ZX Spectrum mindset assumed it was all a ploy to add value to any sale. After all no team in their right mind would want to offload the captain - that is unless the price was right.

Mcginn isn't a victim of the system, the system is a victim of Mcginn. When he wasn't on the pitch pre-season and Luiz/Sanson or someone else was in the middle, the ball retention was better, service to Coutinho/Buendia was better and more frequent and the team looked more cohesive. Then Mcginn would come on and the long balls would start and the middle became disjointed, as well as us becoming under more pressure from the opponent.

He simply doesn't fit a team that wants to play the ball around in the middle and increase pressure on the opposition box, he is a liability defensively and old fashioned in attack.

I'm praying he gets injured so we can see the team without him for a while, as that's the only way it will happen and maybe turn our fortunes around a bit.

3 hours ago, Viloon said:

Mcginn isn't a victim of the system, the system is a victim of Mcginn. When he wasn't on the pitch pre-season and Luiz/Sanson or someone else was in the middle, the ball retention was better, service to Coutinho/Buendia was better and more frequent and the team looked more cohesive. Then Mcginn would come on and the long balls would start and the middle became disjointed, as well as us becoming under more pressure from the opponent.

He simply doesn't fit a team that wants to play the ball around in the middle and increase pressure on the opposition box, he is a liability defensively and old fashioned in attack.

I'm praying he gets injured so we can see the team without him for a while, as that's the only way it will happen and maybe turn our fortunes around a bit.

It boggles my mind that Gerrard watched pre-season games and came to the conclusion that Sanson and Luiz weren't worthy of a starting position.

But the fact he made McGinn captain probably mean's I shouldn't be surprised.

I feel he's definitely a victim of the system.  His skillset doesn't align to tracking a player consistently and providing coverage for a wing back. 

He's a creative forward midfielder, that has an eye for goal, and will occasionally press a defender into making a mistake.

He can't do any of that where he plays for us, and so no surprise he looks terrible, except for the very odd long ball that finds one of our forwards in space (and admittedly on the rare occasions it works, it quite often results in a goal).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It boggles my mind that Gerrard watched pre-season games and came to the conclusion that Sanson and Luiz weren't worthy of a starting position.

But the fact he made McGinn captain probably mean's I shouldn't be surprised.

I feel he's definitely a victim of the system.  His skillset doesn't align to tracking a player consistently and providing coverage for a wing back. 

He's a creative forward midfielder, that has an eye for goal, and will occasionally press a defender into making a mistake.

He can't do any of that where he plays for us, and so no surprise he looks terrible, except for the very odd long ball that finds one of our forwards in space (and admittedly on the rare occasions it works, it quite often results in a goal).

If we are going to continue with the Christmas tree formation, I'd actually like to see McGinn play as one of the 10s, him and Buendia behind Watkins would be a defenses nightmare in terms of pressing.

----------------------Kamara----------------------
-------------Luiz--------------Ramsey----------
-------Buendia----------------McGinn--------
--------------------Watkins------------------------

Edited by duke313

Â